OCR00368 - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Gerudo Interlude"

Saunders

This is actually the first time I've heard a remix from DJ Pretzel (please don't banish me 8O ). This is a really awesome remix to my favorite theme from Zelda 64: Ocarina of Time. Now I know why you're the chief of this site. The highlight of the remix for me was from 1:55 to 2:11.

• 1 month later...

Hello All,

Yet another remix that took a classic song, ramped up the beat, and added a "spirit" that I cannot find words for. "Consistant", i think that befits this remix. It sets a pace and mood that has it's own life, but doesn't overshadow the original score.

If your looking for a Gerudo Valley remix thats consistant and remains true to the original, but has it's own feel, then this is the song for you.

Grats on a "playlist worthy" remix. :)

(Side-Note: For those of you with a CreativeLabs MP3 player, or soundcard, listen to this using the Theater audio setting. The depth and echo....*shivers*)

• 2 months later...

Another good mix from DJP. What a suprise.

From 0:01 to 0:30 is starting up the "in the desert" feel. Really catchy here and it fits perfectly.

0:31 to 1:01 is leading up and building a little suspense. Building to a climax, with the guitar still shining through. Nice little acoustic guitar there giving it the desert feel.

1:02 to 1:21 really caught me here. I figured it was gonna be a mediocre mix but this part makes the song worthwhile to download in itself. The background acoustic guitar starts to get louder and the lead guitar starts to play the song we all know and love.

1:23 to 1:52 is where I started to feel a little disappointed. I thought the song was over, much akin to the seiken densetsu 3 song "HostileButCuddly" where there is only one nice climax and then the song fades away. But it'll catch you off guard. Acoustic becomes very quiet here.

1:53 to 2:11 aha! So it isn't going to fade away on us. Lead guitar goes into some kind of slow guitar solo and starts to build again. The beat begins to increase as it goes on.

2:12 to 2:24 getting more climatic. Little background flute here.

2:25 to 3:00 pure ownage here. Like 1:02 to 1:21 except much improved. all the instruments come in here from the flute and acoustic to the bass. Really love this part and this makes this song good enough to buy from the site. Hats off to DJP for really treasuring the guerudo memory. Only he could have produced such fine music.

3:01 to 3:27 like the beginning only backwards. Slowly fades away instead of getting louder. Nice ending in my opinion, but really is annoying how you are all pumped from the climax and then afterwards it kinda drags. Better than a sudden drop though.

All in all this is as good as getting dogmeat to the end of fallout. I rate it 47.6/50. Good job DJP, this is what remixing is all about.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

very good song, the best beginning of any song this side of McVaffe. but one thing that bothered me:

1) The bursts of volume. Those just seemed out of place and hurt my liking of this song more than anything.

It annoys me, since if those tiny bursts of volume weren't there, this may be my favorite song here. Oh well, good job anyway.

• 1 year later...

Excellent interpretation of this track. Djp has always done an incredible job on guitar arrangements. This has a very live feel to it and does great if you have it turned up loud with intent to Jam or have it as ambient music while you chill with a beer and hang out with friends. It reminded me of something you would hear in one of those Java shops that plays live music.

Super cool, keep'em coming.

very good song, the best beginning of any song this side of McVaffe. but one thing that bothered me:

1) The bursts of volume. Those just seemed out of place and hurt my liking of this song more than anything.

It annoys me, since if those tiny bursts of volume weren't there, this may be my favorite song here. Oh well, good job anyway.

I just listened to it twice turned up a bit on a pair Sennheiser HD 590 headphones.(very detailed) I didn't notice any strange burst in the volume tiny or large. Your equipment must be failing you.

• 1 month later...

Everytime I hear this song, I think 'Gerudo Interludo'. lolz.

Anyway, this song has some great memories for me. It was released during the old days, back when remixes were released by the fives almost every day. Ah well.

I always enjoy this mix, I find it to be one of the best interpretations of the Gerudo desert made. That, and I lovers the guitar samples. Absolutely sweet.

• 5 months later...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I just downloaded this song, and while it really kicks holes, I think the original song is from the Ninja Gaiden series, not Zelda : Ocarina of Time. Has there been some sort of mix-up, or have I completely lost it? 8O

REALLY LOST IT A LOT! :banghead: JK

no, i really do like this song though, KEEP THEM COMING DJP!!!:mrgreen:

• 7 months later...

When Kondo and Pretzel react, magic happens. That has been consistently true since the beginning. Not without a lot of effort on DLP's part, I'm sure, but there seems to be a special relationship between the master of game tunes and the master of game remixes.

Gerudo Valley has always seemed to me one of the hardest pieces of gaming music to remix. Simply because Kondo pretty much said everything that could be said about the melody in-game. It's such an epic tune and it goes through so many phases and tiers that you are surprised every time a new submelody emerges, despite the fact you may have listened to the song for over 10 years. That is my experience with it anyhow.

'GerudoInterlude' does a lot of things that I think make it a standout remix of the source. It doesn't reinvent the wheel musically. And it also excluded some chunks of the original. In other words, we never have any doubts that this is 100% desert Gerudo-style mixage. And on the other hand, the mix is smart enough not to tread all of the ground from the original, because let's face it, when you really get into the particulars of the song, it is a huge risk to try and remix sections that could totally destroy the mood or the structure of the song. You can really hear the payoff of the selected core melodies in the ending. Great decisions on DJP's behalf. A 5-star mix.

• 11 months later...

I think "GerudoInterludo" would have been the correct remix title choice.

Pretty standard stuff overall, but that breakdown was really nice rhythmically, and then afterward things start to get more inspired. A wee bit o' soloing and the melody with a whistle. A bit generic, but personalized a bit, it shows it's age but is still a good listen, due to the strong source and a clean production style.

I think OA pretty much nailed it - the dynamics of the source arrangement and the clean instrumentation make this mix listenable, and it's really not bad for its age, but the mix isn't anything particularly special, either. A few parts during the guitar solos shine above the rest, but I think the lack of instrumental variety makes me grow tired with it after a few listens.

Not DJP's best but I can find some good parts to it that make it worth listening to occasionally. Even djp on his worst day is above average :-)

• 4 years later...
  • 7 months later...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I just downloaded this song, and while it really kicks holes, I think the original song is from the Ninja Gaiden series, not Zelda : Ocarina of Time. Has there been some sort of mix-up, or have I completely lost it? 8O
lol you lost it dude....

No - not entirely. There tune is different, but the harmony line is practically identical to the theme from Ninja Gaiden used in the Basilisk Run remix. So much so that when this came up and I looked at the title, I did a double-take. "This... isn't Ninja Gaiden, with the harmony line put on top?" said my internal voice. The voicing here really brings out the similarities, too.

Anyway, I like it even on those terms - as a Ninja Gaiden remix, even though it isn't one.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00368 - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Gerudo Interlude"
  • 2 years later...

A track included in my OC ReMix Favorites playlist.

Gerudo mixes always come a point of strength with that fantastic source, but I like the way this track is put together. This is one of those takes that sounds like how I remember the original sounding, becoming the new "source", in my mind, so to speak. The whistling is fun, the guitar sounds great and it all just feels right. I remember blaring my TV to play this song on the N64 and then blaring my car radio for this version. 

I tend to think of the film Desperado while listening to this mix and I hope that comes across as the compliment it's meant to be!