Journey (PS3) Soundtrack nominated for a Grammy

Global-Trance

http://www.grammy.com/nominees?genre=11

Scroll a tiny bit down to 57. Best Score Soundtrack For Visual Media. It's got some stiff competition but for a video game soundtrack to sit there among those other nominations says a lot. If it wins it would be the first entire video game soundtrack to snag one of these Grammys. Journey is one of my favorite things ever this whole year I'm totally hoping for the best! :D

http://www.grammy.com/nominees?genre=11

Scroll a tiny bit down to 57. Best Score Soundtrack For Visual Media. It's got some stiff competition but for a video game soundtrack to sit there among those other nominations says a lot. If it wins it would be the first entire video game soundtrack to snag one of these Grammys. Journey is one of my favorite things ever this whole year I'm totally hoping for the best! :D

I am 100% okay with this getting a nomination.

I never played Journey, but listened to its music well enough to know it's fantastic!

The only other game that I wish were nominated for outstanding music would be the underrated Gravity Rush. But perhaps since it was made by a Japanese company, it might not qualify.

The market for artistic, story-driven games is so small that a separate category won't have enough nominees to be taken seriously.

Do they really need to be story-driven games? I'm no expert in movies and Grammys or anything, but I imagine that they're going based on the quality of the score, not on the quality of the work the score was featured in, correct? In which case, it shouldn't matter whether or not the game is super-artsy or has a great story or whatever.

Unless they are judging on that, in which case, carry on. :P

Do they really need to be story-driven games? I'm no expert in movies and Grammys or anything, but I imagine that they're going based on the quality of the score, not on the quality of the work the score was featured in, correct? In which case, it shouldn't matter whether or not the game is super-artsy or has a great story or whatever.

Unless they are judging on that, in which case, carry on. :P

A big part of what makes a score so impactful is how it compliments the story. A really good score usually drives the story. So you can see how they sort of tie in together and depend on each other to become "grammy-worthy"

It's not a written rule obviously, but to judge a score by itself when it was tied to visuals would be strange.

Anybody remember the first video game song to win a Grammy? It was the main theme from Civilization IV, which is a strategy game with randomly generated terrain each game and very little in the way of story. A game score doesn't need to be "story-drive" in order to be phenomenal and considered worthy of a Grammy.

*EDIT - I realize its an individual song rather than a full soundtrack, but I stand by my point.