How do I listen to classical music?

I'm a long time video game music fan who has no problem with orchestrated music. I listen to film and game soundtracks all the time that are badass and exciting. Recently, I've been required to attend a loved one's classical choral concerts. I've been told that I look like I'm being tortured. I guess that's because for me, a classical choral music concert is the visual equivalent of silently watching paint dry for two hours. I don't even find the lyrics sheets interesting as most choral music amounts to "Praise Jesus Praise Mary," and I'm an agnostic.

So, I can't get out of these concerts. Can anyone here begin to explain to me how to properly listen to classical music? I come at things from a video game listener's perspective so I always expect classical music to have a clear melody and be more bombastic. To me, a lot of classical music in general sounds like pastoral music with butterflies and bees flying happily through the fields. I always feel like I'm missing out on whatever ACTUAL emotion they are trying to express because modern soundtrack music is so blatant about what you're supposed to be feelings whereas classical music, I don't even know.

Choral music is more harmonic than melodic. The basic idea, in my opinion, is that dissonance creates tension, and consonance relieves it. How to enjoy it? At every moment, try to figure out if you're liking what you're listening to, or if you're not, and why exactly that is. Observe yourself reacting to the music, rather than just the music. That's how I got into classical music, and it may not work for everyone...

EDIT: Also, there is no "proper" way of listening. What's important is that you figure out what exactly you like or not.

Classical music is ok. You have to remember it was a different time, and that for a lot of the history of classical Western music, it was sort of sacrilegious (literally) to deviate from generally accepted musical theory. I mean, fuck, tritones were once considered by the Catholic church to be the interval of the devil. So now we can evoke emotion in music by breaking the rules. For a while, though, that wasn't an option, and almost all music was pretty conservative-sounding, at least to our modern ears. So if you go into it with the expectation that the composer is going to do something crazy -- which is what you are doing -- you're probably going to be disappointed. Otherwise, enjoy the best of the best of what undisobeyed classical music theory can bring.

It's not my favorite genre, but it's great considering the musical limitations composers used to operate under.

You have to remember it was a different time, and that for a lot of the history of classical Western music, it was sort of sacrilegious (literally) to deviate from generally accepted musical theory. I mean, fuck, tritones were once considered by the Catholic church to be the interval of the devil. So now we can evoke emotion in music by breaking the rules. For a while, though, that wasn't an option, and almost all music was pretty conservative-sounding, at least to our modern ears.

What about anything after the 16th-17th century?

I always feel like I'm missing out on whatever ACTUAL emotion they are trying to express because modern soundtrack music is so blatant about what you're supposed to be feelings whereas classical music, I don't even know.

this is probably 90% of it. if the majority of the music you listen to is music that is DESIGNED to basically manipulate you into feeling something, then music that is more subtle about its themes, dealing with a fine gradient of emotion - or perhaps not concerned with emotion at all! - is going to seem bland or impenetrable.

i would avoid the idea that there is a "way" to appreciate music. it suggests that there is an "answer" to music, it's like asking how to solve a painting. you can study music theory or history which will give you the tools to appreciate a piece of music in a structural or cultural context, but really, either a piece of music speaks to you or it doesnt. the important thing is that you approach each piece you encounter with an open mind and a willingness to listen !

I think you're making a couple incorrect assumptions about classical and orchestrated music.

Soundtracks are blatant within a range of emotions, I think; it's the visual that makes it more specific. For example,

is playing while Theoden dies in Return of the King, but if you didn't know the title and couldn't associate the visual footage with the music, I'm not sure you could identify it specifically as mourning loss as opposed to some other "sad" emotion.

Classical music can do the same; compare even the first couple minuets of

to

Film scores and game music is generally more bombastic, that's for sure, but having discernible melody isn't something more for game music. If anything, game music and film scores can get away with more textural pieces because they also have the visual element, or because the music is just there to support the visuals and is intended to be ethereal and textural, not melodic. Try the start of this, for example; it gets a bit more melodic later on; it's just the first remotely good example that came to mind. In fact, a critique of modern video game music is that as it's been easier to orchestrate soundtracks and produce them either digitally or via recording an orchestra, something's been lost in terms of discernible melody.

I think that you and your loved one need to recognize that not all forms of music are for all people. You can certainly work on not looking deathly bored, but ultimately they need to understand, and you need to tell them, that you're doing your best by showing up and that you support their efforts, even if you don't like the music. Maybe that will change, but you're not going to be super-excited about their choral concerts overnight.

As for developing an appreciation, I'm sure you're open-minded enoguh to recognize that even when you don't like the music, it still takes skill to perform. I'd also point out that classical music encompasses a very wide scope of sounds, and not everyone will like all of it. I generally like classical music, but favour music from the romantic period and beyond, have some affinity to music from the classical period, and don't care much about the baroque period. I much prefer a full orchestra to smaller groups, and I generally don't like jazz or classical vocals, unless it's a large choir being used texturally, as more of an instrument; think the Lord of the Rings soundtracks for that.

I'd suggest listening to a variety of classical works (I and others can give suggestions), and give some thought to what you like or don't like about the pieces, and look for similar elements in the music you're going out to see. I find active listening, analyzing what you hear, is a great way to appreciate things more.

I'm a long time video game music fan who has no problem with orchestrated music. I listen to film and game soundtracks all the time that are badass and exciting. Recently, I've been required to attend a loved one's classical choral concerts. I've been told that I look like I'm being tortured. I guess that's because for me, a classical choral music concert is the visual equivalent of silently watching paint dry for two hours. I don't even find the lyrics sheets interesting as most choral music amounts to "Praise Jesus Praise Mary," and I'm an agnostic.

So, I can't get out of these concerts. Can anyone here begin to explain to me how to properly listen to classical music? I come at things from a video game listener's perspective so I always expect classical music to have a clear melody and be more bombastic. To me, a lot of classical music in general sounds like pastoral music with butterflies and bees flying happily through the fields. I always feel like I'm missing out on whatever ACTUAL emotion they are trying to express because modern soundtrack music is so blatant about what you're supposed to be feelings whereas classical music, I don't even know.

You've essentially hit the nail on the head in regards to the criticisms I have with choir music in general, especially with the Christian season upon us. The best way you can listen to this type of music is by strapping an mp3 player to your undershirt, and devising an intricate map that your headphones can follow to your ears undetected because CHORAL MUSIC IS DOG POOP! I know exactly what pieces you're listening to, and it's why I got out of all the choirs I've ever been in. "Jesus!" (common time, E quarter note to C dotted half note)

But everyone else in the thread is right; there are plenty of different types of orchestral music ranging from orchestra size, textures, time periods, etc. I'm probably most aligned with Kanthos in that I much prefer music from the Romantic period onward, but I can also appreciate Vivaldi and Bach from further back. You just need to find your niche. And if you look tortured, well there ain't much you can do to avoid a tortured look. Your loved ones are just going to have to take an "at least he's making a sacrifice for us" attitude about it.

The beauty and quality of one sound (whether that sound is one instrument or many doing the same thing) makes up for the lack of polyphony. The way that choral music is designed can be very skillful or shitty, depending on the work of the composers and directors.

Classical/chorale musicians can be too snobby; they think that because their works are more advanced than pop music that it sounds good, automatically. Not always.

If choral music doesn't speak to you then you won't get much enjoyment out of it regardless.

The trick is not to close yourself off to that fact and just listen to the work that went into it if you can't find anything else to relate to. I've been very much anti vocals myself and never really found much enjoyment in listening to a choir. Even though i used to sing in them...

The good news is that there are so many hybrid styles out there now that eventually you are going to run into a piece of music you really love that uses an element that you really used to hate. Try finding some music you like that uses choirs in the background and eventually you'll gather more of an appreciation for it.

This thread kind of reminds me of the times when i was going to deathmetal concerts with my friends who didn't understand how i could also play in orchestras. The more you expose yourself to the better you will appreciate what you get to hear.

I always find interesting pieces to show people to help them get into classical music are late romantic pieces that have a lot of direct imagery. A lot of the Debussy-types tended to give them names that had simple but strong images to imagine in your head. It can be really powerful, often comes across a bit filmy. Here are some of my favourites.

Close your eyes for full effect.

Rachmaninov's Isle of the Dead: Imagine sailing towards a cursed island and whatever you might find there. This is very cinematic.

Ravel's Le Gibet: This is supposed to be someone who has just been hanged, and has been left to swing in the wind alone. It's got the same note ringing throughout, and is pretty morbidly sad.

If all else fails, watch someone showing off whilst playing a piece featured in tom and jerry that one time.

I've been told that I look like I'm being tortured. I guess that's because for me, a classical choral music concert is the visual equivalent of silently watching paint dry for two hours..

LOOL!^

Like in everything else, you need to filter the shit. But there is some great classical music. They all made some shitty tunes tho.

I like fucked up ones and other ones like Bartok, Stravinsky, Holtz, Shostakovich, Bruch, Mussorgsky, Paganini, Bach (father and son), Schumann, Ravel, Albinoni, Smetana, Saint-Saëns...

I really can't stand some like Vivaldi, Handel, Mozart, Bizet, Verdi, Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev.

Can't stand any operatic shit what so ever.

Try this:

edit:

sorry if that's not appropriate xD I'm french and don't know all the subtleties of the english language yet

Come on dude, you're not french. French people = France. Thanks merci caliss.

Classical music is a stupid umbrella term that doesn't even properly convey the range of musical works it tries to classify. It's even more ridiculous given that "classical" is already a period within said grouping. What? Is Mozart Classical Classical music then? Good grief.

Well, doesn't it basically just refer to everything that came before jazz?

You mention being a fan of video game music, so maybe try to find classical music that's similar to the game music you like. That way, it's more a matter of branching out from what you know. That's how I started out listening to classical music. For example, I'm certain that Masashi Hamauzu drew inspiration from Prokofiev in his soundtrack for Final Fantasy XIII:

As for choral music... I can't help you much there. It can be pretty dull. Though, some things I've paid attention to at choral concerts are how in-tune the singers are rhythmically and tonally. And watching how they react to the conductor. In choral music, you'll notice that the conductor doesn't just beat time. They also manage the synchronization of word-shaping. For example, through hand gestures, they try to synchronize the pronunciation of consonants like "k" so that all the singers generate the sound at the same time. Otherwise, the lyrics and rhythms will sound smeared.

And if you're into audio production and mixing, pay attention to how deeper and higher voices balance and reverberate in the particular setting. The human voice is pretty complex, so making a choir sound coherent in a large, reverberant space is actually quite a feat in real-time, acoustic mixing!