Major Shakeup at the VGA awards.

Hyperion5182

Reviews by gamers are, for the most-part*, more trustworthy than reviews by game journalists. Which is primarily what those sites I listed at the bottom of my post have in common.

*I say most-part, because of those fucking pricks at RPGGamer giving a glowing review to Sakura Wars: So Long My Love for the Wii.

Never again. Assholes.

Well as far as I know, RPGamer relies on ad revenue from non-gaming sources, but they're still a bunch of unprofessional gushy fantards.

I'd say that out of the entire 1up crew, there probably isn't a single one that isn't free of the revenue game regardless of what Sam Kennedy may have said in the past. In fact people like Frank Cifaldi have pretty much admitted on various of their podcasts that a lot of the website's design choices came from the need to increase ad revenue. I still think that Jeremy Parish is relatively free from bias, or at the very least he seems to actively disdain that side of things.

I try to offer my own impressions of things(since "professional" reviews are bonk in all media in my opinion), but like Mirby I pretty much enjoy almost everything I play, so yeah, don't know if that's bias or not.

If you really buy that the best picture of the year is whatever they say it is, then perhaps you're also on board with others saying the Lady Gaga or whoever is the best artist of the year. It's just fodder for the sheep of pop culture. If your interests are elsewhere, there's no point in watching or taking stock in it.

I'm also usually like 100% unsure whether you're being sarcastic or not with just about any of your posts :P

In this case I was aiming to extract opinions, which I got.

I practiced sarcasm for a very long while. Can't be sure whenever it's coming out. Certainly feeling less of it these days tho.

I'd say that out of the entire 1up crew, there probably isn't a single one that isn't free of the revenue game regardless of what Sam Kennedy may have said in the past. In fact people like Frank Cifaldi have pretty much admitted on various of their podcasts that a lot of the website's design choices came from the need to increase ad revenue. I still think that Jeremy Parish is relatively free from bias, or at the very least he seems to actively disdain that side of things.

The 1up crew hardly even exists anymore, and they rarely do reviews since they've been pruned down to only four people on paid staff. They're pretty much cover stories 24/7 these days. Not saying I disagree with the points already made, but I'm not sure their current integrity is super applicable anymore.

go to giantbomb.com if you want respectable people reviewing your games. it's the old gamespot crew headed up by jeff gerstman, the guy who got fired for giving kane and lynch (i think it was?) a 6.0 after they had advertised all over their site.

they have a subscriber setup so they don't have to completely rely on money from ads, and are pound for pound the most fun you can have watching videos of games and reading reviews.

go to giantbomb.com if you want respectable people reviewing your games. it's the old gamespot crew headed up by jeff gerstman, the guy who got fired for giving kane and lynch (i think it was?) a 6.0 after they had advertised all over their site.

they have a subscriber setup so they don't have to completely rely on money from ads, and are pound for pound the most fun you can have watching videos of games and reading reviews.

To be totally honest, I don't see why most other sites aren't willing to go the subscriber route. Seems like not only would it get rid of the internet forum chaff, but it would free journalists to actually act like 'em. I'm almost tempted to go subscribe to Giantbomb now after hearing that.

I actually like the current 1up skeleton crew, and I after hearing a few of their recent podcasts, I think they could easily branch of of gaming and head into other media as well.

To be totally honest, I don't see why most other sites aren't willing to go the subscriber route. Seems like not only would it get rid of the internet forum chaff, but it would free journalists to actually act like 'em. I'm almost tempted to go subscribe to Giantbomb now after hearing that.

I actually like the current 1up skeleton crew, and I after hearing a few of their recent podcasts, I think they could easily branch of of gaming and head into other media as well.

Podcasts and game journalism could be the perfect marriage.

It'll be like the good old gaming tv channels, but more modular and tailored to the individual. Plus less neon colored and more laid back.

Way better basically.

Let's start our own website! :) There are times when I've actually thought about doing it. I know that it's a lot easier said than done but I wouldn't mind being a game reviewer if I had the chance.

There must be some good open review sites around. I only ever found some for music though.

You know, some place where other reviewers see your review and review it.

Good training grounds.

all this being said, and with all the talk about game "reviews", what about the Gamestop magazine, Game Informer? Real or ad-based bullshit?

I'm good friends with one of last summer's interns for Game Informer -- the magazine is pretty good. They are actually underfunded by GameStop for the work that they do, IMO. They put out a good product though, and the website is just as high quality as the magazine.

If you're interested less in game reviews and more in industry news/reporting articles, you'll do better at Polygon or the Penny Arcade Report (both of which are also excellent). GI does an excellent job at covering games though, if that's what you're looking for.

Disclosure: I was interviewed for a feature on their website this past summer, though it doesn't affect my opinion of the magazine in the slightest (and I wasn't paid in any way for the interview).