There MAY be a new STAR OCEAN!

The Legendary Zoltan

There is nothing good about this news unless they fire the entire team responsible for Star Ocean The Last Hope and get back on track with what Star Ocean SHOULD have been, which is much more sci-fi akin to Xenosaga with much less religious references and long-ass cutscenes. Good sound engineering and music would also help out.

Also calling it now, mobile game for iOS or Vita rerelease of SO4.

I can't believe you would say such a thing.

Sakuraba's Tales and Star Ocean music is pretty uninspired and blends into eachother to create a musical mess. Doesn't sound offensive, but hardly memorable.

Bullarkey. You try being hired to do 18 CDs worth of music a year nonstop and make each of those 900 tracks memorable.

oh goody another jrpg that isn't a skies of arcadia sequel

Now now, they made the Valkyria Chronicles games. It isn't like that group was twiddling their thumbs since 2000.

On topic: some of those tweets on that page are talking about it being a card-based RPG. Any interest I had for a new SO has dwindled to nothing.

oh goody another jrpg that isn't a skies of arcadia sequel

You have no idea how much i'm waiting for that one. If today's SEGA would just get there %^& together. :)

BUT Star Ocean is one of my favorites and if you had a problem with SO4 then you probably didn't play SO3. Which wasn't bad but was pretty damn not great. It did have the best OST from Sakuraba though in my opinion.

The series peaked with SO2 but if this is a new game then i'm really really freaking excited. Hopefully they'll get back to what made SO2 great and fix the problems they started with 3 and 4.

I agree that the soundtrack to 4 wasn't as good as it could have been. The remixes of previous games' battle music was a complete miss and all of them lacked what made the originals energetic. (Cutting Edge of Notion remix was so bad it brought tears to my eyes)

Anyway, you got my hopes up. If this isn't a new Star Ocean game then i'm gonna freak.

Bullarkey. You try being hired to do 18 CDs worth of music a year nonstop and make each of those 900 tracks memorable.

This is basically the problem. It's called being overworked. It generally leads to subpar work, which in the creative industry could be devastating.

We all thought Hironobu Sakaguchi was awesome(well, rabid fanboys did), but he also made Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, which are both BAD GAMES. Sometimes people need to step away for awhile.

This is basically the problem. It's called being overworked. It generally leads to subpar work, which in the creative industry could be devastating.

I defy anyone on OCR to be given the chance to score 4-6 major retail RPGs from major game companies and turn them down. (Although my point is admittingly counter-productive since Motoi Sakuraba can get work regardless)

We all thought Hironobu Sakaguchi was awesome(well, rabid fanboys did), but he also made Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, which are both BAD GAMES. Sometimes people need to step away for awhile.

Having not played either of those games but still being aware of their mixed-towards-favorable reviews, I must ask what the measure of a "bad game" is in that context, and it better not be something akin to "well, it's not FFVI."

Also, since none of this is very relevant to the topic point, let's not turn it into a long debate.

I defy anyone on OCR to be given the chance to score 4-6 major retail RPGs from major game companies and turn them down. (Although my point is admittingly counter-productive since Motoi Sakuraba can get work regardless)

Having not played either of those games but still being aware of their mixed-towards-favorable reviews, I must ask what the measure of a "bad game" is in that context, and it better not be something akin to "well, it's not FFVI."

Also, since none of this is very relevant to the topic point, let's not turn it into a long debate.

Lost Odyssey had excellent character writing in the form of Jansen and excellent short story inserts courtesy of Kiyoshi Shigematsu and probably one of Nobuo Uematsu's best soundtracks next to FFVI, but the game itself has terrible pacing, a very droll and rote cookie cutter battle system, and very disgusting visuals(the designs are great, but the Unreal Engine is as fugly as ever).

Blue Dragon was just a shit Dragon Quest wannabe. It should be no surprise why Microsoft dumped Mist Walker. But hey, they went on years later to make The Last Story, which by all counts isn't too shabby.

And you can't sit here and tell me that after awhile, every string section and electric organ doesn't blend into eachother for the most part in Sakuraba's stuff, and the greatest offenders are the latest Tales and Star Oceans. Resonance of Fate's OST was great, but that was by virtue of Sakuraba being balanced out by the excellent work of Kohei Tanaka.

You can take your ridiculous opinions and shove them up your canyon-esque crevasse.

I don't finish a lot of RPGs these days. I finished Star Ocean 4. It is a work of art, and Motoi Sakuraba's music is genius.

I do hope they release the new Star Ocean on the PS3 or even PC, would love to see a huge graphics improvement too, just because they can, and because why not. Though the art style of SO4 was really cool and maybe getting more realistic with it wouldn't be a good idea, but they could beef up the graphics within that type of art style still.

It's about time someone stepped in to counterbalance all these negative Nancies.

I've loved Star Ocean since the first and each one just gets better and better in my opinion. SO3 is my favorite soundtrack, though. Star Ocean games have always had UNBELIEVABLE sound quality.

Anyway, to my disappointment, I am starting feel less and less like this is a Star Ocean announcement. Even though everything about the graphic on the countdown site looks like SO4 graphics, there are new words that push my mind away from Star Ocean. The two new words that have appeared since I last looked are "Supremacy" and "Bandiera". It depends on what the story of the game is but supremacy doesn't really remind me of Star Ocean. Then again "Bandiera" isn't so far from "Vendeeni"...Maybe.

You guys may be interested to know, that out here in Japan the countdown will end on 12/12/12 at 12 o'clock. THAT'S TOMORROW!!!

I think that setting would be quite popular but it isn't really the kind of setting I like. I like green places in my games. Agni is extremely cute to me though. Appearance-wise, I am very attracted to her. I have no idea what kind of personality or back-story she will have though, so it is hard for me to decide whether or not I'd want her as a character in the next big Final Fantasy. Yeah, I agree. They should do whatever they feel the most enthusiastic about and not let the fans decide.

Because most of my favorite games do not have really long-running series, this is the first time ever I've gotten excited about a count-down site. I have a bad feeling though. I only play PS3 so the chances of whatever it is being available to me are already greatly limited.

Still not back on topic yet? I'll save this...

I always wondered why Tri Ace killed off Star Ocean while the Tales series keeps going. For those that didn't know Tri Ace made the first Tales game then were stripped of the IP which Namco gave to another studio. In response Tri Ace made Star Ocean which by Star Ocean 2 was the superior RPG. IMO. (gotta keep it internet PC right?)

Maybe i'm overplaying the rivalry but I wish Star Ocean kept going. 45 min to go i guess we'll find out.

Aside from the clock sounds from the show "24" ringing in my head, I can only hope it's a SO annoucement.

Aside from character designs and that, awful, awful English dubbing that SO4 had, I have not had too much fault with the SO series. I loved the first two games (Hurray for PSP releases!), and the battle systems in 3 and 4 I enjoyed throughly.

Either way, I hope it is NOT

A. Card game

B. Mobile game

or

C. A Mobile Card game >_>

Edit: And COUNTDOWN IS OVER.....and nothing happens. *Cricket*