RECRUITING! - Donkey Kong 64 Album project

SoSiouxMe

Woah, woah, hold on everybody, we'll get to the 'showing off' part soon enough, just want to get the track evaluated before we start throwing links around.

It's mostly because this is really, really early, and we haven't yet formalized a small team to sort of weigh in on WIPs and proposed final versions.

I apologize, I'm just getting a bit excited that's all X)

Hello, Before I start, apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place.

I'm a fresh newcomer to this forum, though I've been a long-time visitor to the website. I have no musical skill per-se but I'm an illustrator and graphic designer with experience of working with well known and established musicians and record labels. I was wondering if you'd be interested in allowing me to get involved with this project as a visual artist? I'm a huge game (and VGM) fan, and would be really pleased with your consideration.

If you want to see examples of my work, check my portfolio at www. owencreativestudios. com (remove spaces). I've done flyers for artists and labels such as LTJ Bukem & Hospital records amongst others, but actual illustration and art are my bigger passion. I'd ask for nothing in return, but a credit, obviously. Let me know what you think. I'd love to be involved!

Looking forward to your take on it. I'm imagining some sort of crazy hard-hitting dubsteppy electronica. :P

Please no. Don't the guidelines say "All genres minus ear-rape allowed"? :-P

I've worked up a WIP for my mix, Angry Aztec Boss. It's going to be a crazy/wild mash-up of electronica and symphony (symphonica?). The best way I can describe it is Jim Carrey on speed. I may end up collaborating with a more professional mixer in order to get the piece to full production quality

Edited by BlueTronic

Alright!

So this coming Wednesday is the check-in, and I'm looking forward to seeing how everything's going with everyone!

In terms of how this is going to go down, here's how it'll be in a nutshell:

Anyone with a status update or a WIP should PM myself and SoSiouxMe about it (Contact both of us, that way we're both on the same page). You don't need to do this right away, it's just if you feel that you're at a good enough point to let us know how things are going!

When the check-in date comes around, I'll be sending out PMs to anyone who didn't already give an update ahead of schedule. So keep an eye on your inboxes, and be sure to respond at least within a week or so of the check-in date!

Afterwards, we'll review your submission (if you've put one in), and run it past our judges to see what could be changed or improved upon. We'll do our best to get back to you as soon as we can, hopefully within the week!

On a final note:

There's a gap of about 3 months between each check-in, so I understand that it may be a little easy to lose track of things, but I wanted to let everyone know that if you pass by two check-in dates with no status updates, we reserve the right to remove you from the project. Not trying to be a jerk, just don't want to have like 7 songs claimed but dead in the water. Gotta make sure everything is moving along, is all.

Anyhow, I'm really looking forward to seeing how things turn out! Good luck, everybody!

fb-like-icon.pngBlueTronic likes this

It seems like cheating a lot of the songs to call it a bonus disc. The bonus disc should have things like rejected songs and abandoned WIPs

Alright. Time to explain. When we were making the song list, we had the main songs we wanted that were the ones everyone knows. After that, we thought up the ones that were important, but not like level theme important. So at that time, we just thought we'd have a main disc and a bonus disc. But then we added more songs as we thought of them, all the while still calling it a bonus disc.

You guys are right, it does seem like cheating to call it a bonus disc. You guys also need to remember that nothing is final until the album is done. We can change it to a disc 2 and have a bonus disc for other stuff. It's also why at the bottom I said we are open to suggestions.

So in that sense, I thank you. Because it's not something neither I nor Mairujyat have talked about as this project has gone on. If you guys have more suggestions, lets us know. We appreciate all the support you guys have given us on this project. It's taken off a lot faster than we envisioned and it's awesome watching it grow.

Keep up the good work guys (and girls)!

*Edit: I'm also hesitant to actually give disc numbers at this point. Until the songs are finished and come in for us to see, I won't know how I will have to split the discs up. So on that note, we'll all have to wait and see.*

-Nick

Edited by SoSiouxMe

I have a rough draft of my Funky Kong remix: https://soundcloud.com/user7666413/dk64-funky-kong-rough-wip

There's not much to it just yet. I'm still trying to decide how I want to approach this one. I'll post up a thread in the WIP forum when I have a little bit more to add.

I like pure techno remixes of non-techno songs as much as the next guy, but in a project where the tracks are meant to be representative of their source, it kind of seems wrong to have a style on the opposite end of the music spectrum as the original.

I would say try to at least make it 50% techno and 50% the style of the original. That's what I'm doing with the Angry Aztec Boss, and it's coming out wonderful so far :nicework:

I like pure techno remixes of non-techno songs as much as the next guy, but in a project where the tracks are meant to be representative of their source, it kind of seems wrong to have a style on the opposite end of the music spectrum as the original.

I would say try to at least make it 50% techno and 50% the style of the original. That's what I'm doing with the Angry Aztec Boss, and it's coming out wonderful so far :nicework:

I don't particularly agree with that, I think the opposite side of the spectrum is something that we should strive for! Keeping the feel of the original is important, but genre shouldn't be a boundary.

Anyone see my post I made a bit of time back?

I am willing to collab with someone on something. Not sure if I can commit to having a whole track all to my own.

Just making sure you guys know that. I'm definitely willing to collab on Jungle Japes but seriously, anything.

So if anyone wants me, I'll just be standing here... in this corner... all alone...