OCR01440 - Sonic the Hedgehog 3 "Pure Black, or Marbles and Cream?"

djpretzel

This is Sonic 3 alright, but with my amnesia that comes to mind it's hard to rememeber which levels this is from. Oh well.

It gets into the groove very quickly, the bass picks it up right away, and after some while the sax enters the scene with some good tunes. The cymbals seems to be in place, no heavy drums here or it would ruin most of it. There seems to be some sort of organ around too, but it plays mostly in the back.

Although Tails and Mephisto had jazz in mind when making this, I got a little surprised when the electronica synth came into the picture. It all went back to it's smooth jazz session after it, this whole piece reminds me of a recycling commercial that has gone a while at my channels.

I think I too can be sure to say that this is jazz, the opinion if the synth fits in well or not can differ between persons. At first I thought it pointed out too much from the else, but at the second listen it sounded very good with the rest of the equipment.

Red Tailed Fox, Mephisto, this was groovay! 8)

I think it's Marble Garden Zone.

Good mix. I don't usually post what I think about added remixes, but I thought I might as well this time, since it's Christmas.

I like Rayza's Sonik Elektronik more (same melody), but I like what you did with this song. It all fits right.

Good job.

nice work. i've been privy to this track since it was just a short work in progress and it still sounded slick, even back then. great drum writing, instrumentation. love the vanilla synth that comes in after prophet drops out. mmm, creamy.

Caio's stuff is always a treat to listen to. Add to the fact that Brad's sax is hotstuff.

so, let's make an equation.

red tailed fox + prophet = crazy delicious.

:D

i had no idea this was posted until just now. i actually forgot that Caio sent this one in. reminded me i've got four mroe remixes i've gotta submit eventually.

thanks for the support. i know the sax part was a little fuzzy - i'm getting a new mike soon, so the PC mike i've been using will get smashed with a large hammer for all the crap it's put me through. expect better sax on my next submission.

again, thanks for the comments. merry christmas!

Marble Garden's theme sounds so much better on a sax than it does in the game with whatever annoying instrument they used. I don't think this one is as good as Aquatic Pressure, but it's truly an effective remix, and the sax really gives it a human feel. The recording for the sax is a tad too fuzzy. A little fuzz is okay and adds to the humanity of the piece, but it's a little too noticible. The quality of the sax itself, though, is quite good, and I applaud Mephisto for such good execution.

The mix keeps close to the source material, effectively jazzes it up, and adds a great human element to it with Mephisto's sax. Red Tailed Fox's synths do a very good job backing it up and produces a solid ReMix that's definitely worth a look.

Call me the black sheep all you want, but I don't think this should have been direct posted. My reasons are elements of slightly weak production work and not quite enough interpretation that I have seen in previous direct postings in the past. That doesn't mean for me to knock it senseless altogether, because some of the ideas that managed to come around held much potential.

I also did a write-up for it on ThaSauce to promote all the mixes that come out on VGMix every week, so I think I'd fish that out too. It was part of the stuff I pointed out for the week of November 19th-25th.

Red Tailed Fox - Sonic the Hedgehog 3 "Pure Black, or Marbles and Cream?"

It’s been a while since we saw Red Tailed Fox re-emerge towards the site; I especially enjoyed both variations on his Sonic 3 mix “Aquatic Pressure”, and even here this recent mix fails to disappoint. Here, this track covers the “Marble Garden Zone” BGM, complete with some strong lead sax coverage as applied by the Prophet of Mephisto. The feel to the source is generally strong all the way through, as well as holding enough creative variations in the musical progressions to make sure it has its appeal to its wide audience. The tech work is generally pretty good on both fronts, which I Feel has helped in pushing their techniques towards their limits; however I have to side with much of the comments sent in for the track already and say that the drums were a little bit weak in terms of their sound in spite of their strong arrangement. But still, this is a nice comeback from RTF and a very neat collab between him and the Prophet. If you like either of their works, it’s worth the opportunity to dive into.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great song to hear into. It's just that I have a lot of heavy doubts over its direct posting onto the site, like a lot of mixes I've seen over the past few months or so.

Please don't argue about it here. If you really have to, use the PM button. :?

Really nice, I love the feel. The electric piano at 1:01 brought tears to my eye, that's what I wanted to hear.

I do have a respectful complaint, though might also be personal bias for the kind of feel I want from jazz. To me, it feels like it doesn't flow enough. Not at all. Though a better way to put it is to say that it doesn't coax. The recording/fuzz issue is there, and the fact that it is so barely noticeable is what makes it hurt. The acoustics you have going with the sax are just stand-out excellent (in my unqualified opinion), it makes me want to listen to the instrument going around me.. I'm listening in it. (And you did that with a PC microphone?) I love the space its played in, I thank you for it. However its because I am able to take it in so easily that I feel the fuzz when it pops up - and that's okay with that mike - but its also because I am able to take it in so easily that I complain about the lack of coaxing.

I close my eyes at that start and feel that excellent space in which the sax is played.. but it breaks. The sax doesn't softly lure.. it plays and stops. It gets better later on too, but I'm already hurt heh.

However, I do love this piece. I really have to go out and find more jazz clubs.. You guys have taken the level I enjoyed the least in Sonic 3, because of the music I enjoyed the least in Sonic 3, and made it a non-coaxing heart breaking joy to listen to. I guess I'm hearing what this could have been to me, and venting about that.

So despite my rant, this gets a proud place in the growing collection of Sonic jazz mixes that get played when other people are around hehe. I wouldn't have complained if it wasn't this nice.

Really nice, I love the feel. The electric piano at 1:01 brought tears to my eye, that's what I wanted to hear.

I do have a respectful complaint, though might also be personal bias for the kind of feel I want from jazz. To me, it feels like it doesn't flow enough. Not at all. Though a better way to put it is to say that it doesn't coax. The recording/fuzz issue is there, and the fact that it is so barely noticeable is what makes it hurt. The acoustics you have going with the sax are just stand-out excellent (in my unqualified opinion), it makes me want to listen to the instrument going around me.. I'm listening in it. (And you did that with a PC microphone?) I love the space its played in, I thank you for it. However its because I am able to take it in so easily that I feel the fuzz when it pops up - and that's okay with that mike - but its also because I am able to take it in so easily that I complain about the lack of coaxing.

I close my eyes at that start and feel that excellent space in which the sax is played.. but it breaks. The sax doesn't softly lure.. it plays and stops. It gets better later on too, but I'm already hurt heh.

However, I do love this piece. I really have to go out and find more jazz clubs.. You guys have taken the level I enjoyed the least in Sonic 3, because of the music I enjoyed the least in Sonic 3, and made it a non-coaxing heart breaking joy to listen to. I guess I'm hearing what this could have been to me, and venting about that.

So despite my rant, this gets a proud place in the growing collection of Sonic jazz mixes that get played when other people are around hehe. I wouldn't have complained if it wasn't this nice.

just to point this out, this wasn't originally done to be a smooth jazz piece. you want smooth jazz? i'll get you some of what i've done, if you want it. this was done to be more upbeat - the sax parts are similar to what i might find as the head to a slower chart on a set of bebop stuff. just fyi.

• 7 months later...
This is a good mix. My only problem with it though, is that the sax felt too human.

I also think I might've liked it better if you had played it in the upper register, instead of the middle.

this doesn't work in the upper register. i tried it. it sounds too thin.

that said, the sax was LIVE. LIVE sax. too human?

this doesn't work in the upper register. i tried it. it sounds too thin.

that said, the sax was LIVE. LIVE sax. too human?

That makes sense.

I know it was live. If it were either all live or all electronic, I might like it better. But the sax just sticks out like a sore thumb to me, and that kinda kills it for me.

• 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...

Some ingredients don't marry as well as possible, but that doesn't marr the quality of the work done here. Both jazz and Sonic music are something I came into pretty late in the game, so they both sit in the same boat with me in terms of how much I can grab onto without a whole lot of prior knowledge. It's largely instinctual, and I instinctually like this.

The mellowing of the theme, while refraining from chilling it out to much and keeping a sunny vibe to it, was a great move and seems crafted to the both the melody and your style of playing. It's clear to see where you guys like to be as artists.

In the end, despite various pieces of this mix not blending perfectly, still regard it as more than just something to have coffee to. It's well-played jazz to get happy about. Who can complain?

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

As some people noticed, this one has some weird room sound. Though, to me it's sound of some old-school films. The sax sounds really sexy. And the percussion work is just gorgeous. I didn't like this mix when I heard it at first, but now I love this piece. It's very smooth and very relaxing. Cool, chillin' take on the quite groovy and funky original.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01440 - Sonic the Hedgehog 3 "Pure Black, or Marbles and Cream?"