What did Santa get you? (Remixing Version!)

Argitoth

For an early christmas gift i got... A Behringer BCF2000 Mixer! I got it like 3 weeks ago, but i'm still stoked....

And on the 22nd, i got my brand new laptop (1.8ghz PentM, 1 gig Ram, DVD/R, 80gig HD), for the sole purpose of cafe/park music work (inspiring!!) so now i just needa get some nice little midi keyboard/controller.

Both purchased by mee, cos no one i know in person even knows about my music habits, which makes it hard to get things i want... ah well, i got some cool uhh... puzzles...

EDIT: my mp3 players a 512 too, thats plenty enough imo... i mean, thats an average of like 5-6 hours of music?

Santa brought me some $ which I can convert into music. Just don't know what I want to do with it yet. For the price of a workstation, I could instead upgrade my PC and buy a lot of software/interfaces. Just can't decide yet.

Ok - finally decided on a midi controller - this is just too good to pass up. If they ever make a 76-key version, I will get one and replace it. Just have to find one in stock somewhere: http://www.music123.com/Novation-ReMOTE-61-SL--i318508.music

Edit: in order to stave off buying a whole new A64 PC, I upgrade my video card to an ATI X850 XT AGP version. Should be here Thursday. 8)

ONLY 512!?!?!? come onnn maaaaan

Oh, I should have mentioned that my sister got 30gig ipod (with video). Heheh. That's 60 times more space that 512 :D :D :D

LOL kewlio!@!@!

In the real world, that $300 I could have spent on a video ipod my wife wouldn't use except for the mp3 functionality (and she doesn't have the 7,000 mp3s it supposedly holds) is going to replace our car that may not start up again after the short trip to my mom's on Xmas night. In fact, that $300 ipod was just about our entire Christmas budget, but I guess you won't learn that spending time with a wife and son is more enjoyable than spending lots of money on things until you no longer rely on your parents to provide basic needs.

-steve

I think a video ipod is a waste of money. Don't take what I say too personally.

I got a microKORG (bewy, bewy nice) and a pair of Sennheiser HD 215 headphones that have a left earcup that rotates up for one-ear-listening-DJ-work-type-stuff (a joke of sorts, as I do nothing of the sort). Nonetheless, they're really nice headphones. And the microKORG is awesome, but that went without saying.

I'm getting myself a small piano(still thinking),electric guitar(I've only rented once) and a arranging project(that I'm working on) to.. make up for Christmas..

didn't get anything, but I got a small gig on Christmas, so yeah..

I would actually buy those MIDI interface.. thingies but I have no clue how to use them, so hopefully this year, I can figure something out.

ONLY 512!?!?!? come onnn maaaaan

Oh, I should have mentioned that my sister got 30gig ipod (with video). Heheh. That's 60 times more space that 512 :D :D :D

LOL kewlio!@!@!

In the real world, that $300 I could have spent on a video ipod my wife wouldn't use except for the mp3 functionality (and she doesn't have the 7,000 mp3s it supposedly holds) is going to replace our car that may not start up again after the short trip to my mom's on Xmas night. In fact, that $300 ipod was just about our entire Christmas budget, but I guess you won't learn that spending time with a wife and son is more enjoyable than spending lots of money on things until you no longer rely on your parents to provide basic needs.

-steve

I think a video ipod is a waste of money. Don't take what I say too personally.

you could, in theory, just stop being such a retard.

in other news, I got an ipod mini (cool), a new boss tremolo pedal (cool), and a leather jacket (which was unexpected).

I think it goes without saying that this was a pretty good Christmas for me.

I didn't get anything music related for christmas, eh, if I did that would just be a day of work :P but now is the time I'm planning to buy new gear, a christmas treat for myself :D

I'm thinking of picking up East West's Colossus library, and perhaps something like Stylus RMX or Garritan Stradivari since I love violin. New/Another Ram card, just can't hack it with 512mb, so harsh! I might upgrade to FL6 but since I never really used the additional features of the sequencer, I'm quite contempt with what I have. Plus new sound system and headphone, a must!

Yeah that's how I'm gonna treat myself :roll: spend lots of money on sounds...woo. This year shall be interesting in deed!

I have the opposite problem. I keep working and getting more and more money, and have no idea what to do with it.

Stuff it all in bag and give it to me. We're both in Canada, can't be that hard :wink:

Yeah, same here! :D Except for the Canada part...

I happened to get Ableton Live 5.0 AND EWQLSO Gold! They both kick ass, even though I had to pay half of the EWQLSO... 'Twas expensive. Hopefully going to make my first OCRemix with them... (along with my other stuff)

You all must have some serious money (which I don't have). Collossus is 900bucks at least!

I think it's down to a (relatively reasonable) $700 now.. not too bad.

I've just been searching sites with the best price, I've found Colossus for £350, which is pretty much $700, which I thought was good.

My money is just mine I saved up working part time over the last year, occasionally dipping in to it now and then. So quit ya whining and save your money haha.

Yeah, sorry. I'm only 19 and its hard enough paying the bills never mind getting $700 sound libraries. EWQLSO will do fine for me. I'm using Garage Band and Music Generator and I can't afford to shell out more than $200 for some decent sound. I don't even have speakers for my computer. I have it runing through my stereo reciever to a couple of giant JBL's from '72. The only thing I have that's actually worthy is my G5 and there aren't a lot of cheap programs for OS X. Reason 3 would be my dream come true, but for now I'm just hoping that my family will just give me money for my birthday so I can get Logic 7 Express.

so I'm starting to wonder if maybe some people on this site might be losing their perspective.

some people do this kind of thing as a hobby/amaeture kind of thing, and when new folks come asking how to make their music sound better a lot of the answers are almost immediate jumps to "well you'll probably want _____", followed closely by "_____ isn't very good, you want THIS _____".

not everyone's looking at doing this professionally.

also, to zirc and compy in particular (although not necessarily isolated to pertain to this thread) - yes, we know you are good at what you do, and yes, we appreciate what you come up with, but that doesn't really give you a right to be pretentious jerks to people "beneath you."

just a heads up.

so I'm starting to wonder if maybe some people on this site might be losing their perspective.

some people do this kind of thing as a hobby/amaeture kind of thing, and when new folks come asking how to make their music sound better a lot of the answers are almost immediate jumps to "well you'll probably want _____", followed closely by "_____ isn't very good, you want THIS _____".

also, to zirc and compy in particular (although not necessarily isolated to pertain to this thread) - yes, we know you are good at what you do, and yes, we appreciate what you come up with, but that doesn't really give you a right to be pretentious jerks to people "beneath you."

just a heads up.

I don't know what that has to do with this particular thread. I rarely if ever recommend expensive stuff - I get emails asking for "where to get started" constantly and I list a great number of things for any budget range, from FREE to thousands of dollars. As far as I'm aware, no one has complained about my recommendations, especially since they're usually asked for to begin with. I really have no idea what you're talking about.

In general, it's a better idea to respond to specific posts and points that you disagree with rather than making a very broad, generalized one like you just did. It's difficult to respond to because we (the people that you're targetting) may not know what you have in mind. This is a free forum, you're more than welcome to disagree with anything me, compyfox, or anything else posts.

Edit: I just realized you may be referencing the QLSO Silver post I made a few hours ago, and I think you may have misunderstood it. It was poorly worded; it SHOULD have read;

"QLSO is absolutely awesome considering the price."

I honestly have no idea why I said "you get what you pay for". That was a mistake and the opposite of what I meant to write.

I don't see where compy and zircon are being pretentious jerks. Just because they slighted silver in a little manner? I do agree with the generalized opinion of "well you'll probably want _____", followed closely by "_____ isn't very good, you want THIS _____". Too many people are caught up in buy this, buy that, use this, use that mentality. But I don't see what relationship this has at all to do with what zircon and compy said. There are other ways of spending $150. What's the big deal?

just a heads up.

Amen.

And don't forget something I have read and heard numerous times form people on this site:

Don't presume that all you need to make music like Aphex Twin is the same gear as him. Rembrandt wasn't a great artist just because he had access to paint!

Sometimes I find that people focus too much on the sound instead of the actual arrangement. The reason we love video game music in the first place is because of the arrangement, not the sound!