What did Santa get you? (Remixing Version!)

Argitoth

As if you know the physics and all secrets of Cubase already. Thanks Argi... you just made my day.

I know all about routing, inserts, sends, busses, FX groups, I know all about the mixer, I know how to create macros, i've read the preferences help file completely through. I created my perfect starting template copmplete with locked workspace and markers, I know how the pool works and the wav editing tools and then of course I know all the little detailed things like drum mapping and drum tracks, custom quantization, rewire, etc.

Basically, I know the basics.

I don't see where compy and zircon are being pretentious jerks. Just because they slighted silver in a little manner? I do agree with the generalized opinion of "well you'll probably want _____", followed closely by "_____ isn't very good, you want THIS _____". Too many people are caught up in buy this, buy that, use this, use that mentality. But I don't see what relationship this has at all to do with what zircon and compy said. There are other ways of spending $150. What's the big deal?

Ah yes, the Saxman Disorder.

As if you know the physics and all secrets of Cubase already. Thanks Argi... you just made my day.

I know all about routing, inserts, sends, busses, FX groups, I know all about the mixer, I know how to create macros, i've read the preferences help file completely through. I created my perfect starting template copmplete with locked workspace and markers, I know how the pool works and the wav editing tools and then of course I know all the little detailed things like drum mapping and drum tracks, custom quantization, rewire, etc.

That is all in the getting started manual. I'm good.

I'm sorry, but for whatever reason, this just made me bust out laughing...

I'm sorry, but for whatever reason, this just made me bust out laughing...

:)!!

some people do this kind of thing as a hobby/amaeture kind of thing, and when new folks come asking how to make their music sound better a lot of the answers are almost immediate jumps to "well you'll probably want _____", followed closely by "_____ isn't very good, you want THIS _____".

Seeing what the generic available budget and age is and their generic cluelessness on the matter (HAY GUYS I WANT TO REMIX WHATS THE BEST SOFTWARE) they should get the best they can get for the budget.

not everyone's looking at doing this professionally.

Of course not. But the basic tools you need simply start at a certain amount of money. You can make a hammer out of an end of lead pipe, some wire and a rock or you can buy the cheapest one at the store - guess which'll enable you drive down nails better.

An E-mu 0404 or an Audiophile 24/96 is not professional. It's not even semi-professional. It's simply an adequate starting point and several orders of magnitude better especially for the price than most gaming soundcards that will only listen to your whims if you install alternative drivers or suffer from latencies.

Making music is serious business and the costs of these things vs what they can do is so much lower than they used to be say, 10 years ago - you just can't imagine it.

FL Studio is a program that some would indeed not call professional; but that's not true; it's more aimed at the fact that the majority of users are not making music professionally (e.g. for their living). Yet it's the bare bones and it enables you do to much, much more than say, Magix Music maker or Garageband, or basically any DOS tracker.

Again, the basic version of it it comes for a price and offers possibilities unheard of a decade ago.

Would it be elitism or snobbery or "hey, I'm not making music professionally" to direct someone to a tool that is too limited, too constraining in such a way that it discourages people from ever venturing further?

Because pretty much any hobby you have will demand you to learn, to grow in skill, to educate yourself on certain matters.

I personally do not like the idea of feeding people shit and keeping them in the dark. Pretty much nothing's for free. I'd rather discourage them by saying they need to invest a minimum of effort or cash in something rather than to let themselves discourage them because the stuff they have simply does not work with them or does not do what they want.

Creativity, professional or not, needs a way out. If you block that way with shitty applications or shitty gear, it becomes much harder to get rid of than a mere financial barrier.

yes, we know you are good at what you do, and yes, we appreciate what you come up with, but that doesn't really give you a right to be pretentious jerks to people "beneath you."

Wow, that is completely out of the left field. I can imagine some of Compy's replies are a bit cut short, but Zircon - pretentious?

What bizarro world were you reading posts in?

Also, you forgot me. If there's anyone a pretentious jerk to anyone, it's me. Don't settle for less, do not accept substitutes, and ask for the leading brand. Yoozer. Pretentious Jerk since 1978. "Fuck you, I'm better than everyone™".

:wink:

He was being sarcastic. Don't let your ego get too inflated just yet. :lol:

Of course he was being sarcastic, but the part "argitoth knows how to use cubase" was infact not the sarcastic part. The sarcastic part was "the world ends"

:)

I hope this thread isn't locked for OT, it is an interesting thread. Yoozer, Unknown, calm down a bit!

He was being sarcastic. Don't let your ego get too inflated just yet. :lol:

Of course he was being sarcastic, but the part "argitoth knows how to use cubase" was infact not the sarcastic part. The sarcastic part was "the world ends"

I meant that all in an sarcastic way - sorry to dissapoint you. Reading the "basics manual" and then you say you "know" Cubase is a joke!

Produce something "good" with it, then we talk further.

Enough for the flames now.

this has been way overblown, and is definately not a big enough deal to continue talking about.

Unknown's comment stemmed from the recent GPO vs. EWQLSO thread [which was locked] that contained plenty of elitism wankery and blind corporate allegiance from everyone involved in that topic. I'd say he had legitimate concerns, otherwise he wouldn't have posted that.