Patrick Burns

www.patrickburns.us

user id: 10666

game: Kirby's Adventure (NES)

arrangement name:

songs:

Grape Garden stages:

Rainbow Resort stages:

This remix is about 2.5 years old -- I was only able to solve some its form issues when I revisited it a couple weeks ago. It has still got some issues I think, some forced continuity and a lack of stylistic identity, but I'm currently just trying to get some old mixes off my mind and out the door for someone to appreciate. Besides the Grape Garden and Rainbow Resort stage tunes, the Grape Garden stage select makes a brief appearance as well as an original melody, a synthesis of the themes that -- hopefully -- helps them feel a bit less juxtaposed.

All the bass, bells, pads, guitars, flutes, and harp things are Logic's Sculpture synth. It's the most interesting synth I have at my disposal currently. (I really need to broaden my synth/beat toolset beyond built-in Logic -- I think a part of my brain still refuses to let go of the paradigm I learned from playing with midis at vgmusic.com -- i.e. it all begins and ends in the piano roll.)

thanks for listening

I'm keeping it pretty short and sweet here. Hated the fakey electric guitar synth, but it's not meant to sound like a live guitar, so I'll have to look past it. Other than that, I enjoyed the arrangement here. Structurally, it's pretty straightforward, but the instrumentation and atmosphere and personalized subtly and nicely. 3:19's section felt like a brief but weak retread, but it wasn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Not my strongest YES, but it holds it down. Let's go.

YES

I love the unique rhythms created from the interplay between your delay and your melody lines, especially in the intro. The whole mix is very easy to get lost in, your sounds all have a very retro edge to them (I particularly liked the guitar-style synth) but the production is extremely smooth and polished. It's an excellent combination that makes this track very, very listenable.

Patrick, I'm convinced that you can do no wrong as an artist, and thus far you have yet to prove me wrong. Keep it up!

YES

I sometimes fall on the side of thinking synths imitating real instruments sound too fake, but I loved the lead "guitar" synth here. Rather than sounding like a fake guitar, it sounded like a synth with oodles of expression. Actually, this whole song has tons of humanized touches for a synthetic song. Really pretty arrangement, a very easy pass in my book.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool palette of sounds you've utilized here. Lots of complimenting sounds and writing. That guitar synth clearly wasn't an attempt to sound real, but instead used more as a lead synth. I did the same thing (very much less effectively) long ago with a xenogear mix.

Love the way you've interwoven various parts and melodies here. I'm suffering from arrangement envy. Great stuff.

Yes