Dungeons & Dragons: OCR Edition (Check us out on #D&D)

Ethan Rex

So is there a good place to learn how to play D&D for those of us who are new? It would be a good way to ease the guys new to this when we start this up.

Depending on what edition we play, read the boooooks.

I have not seen rex around the past couple days to discuss this with him yet. The best way to learn is just playing.

Looking at feedback, I'd say 3.5 is the way to go, ad it's the version I'm most familiar with anyway.

Now we just need to talk about DMs and scheduling. There's a lotta people, but I'm sure when we start to discuss schedules we can see if we want to split into two different groups or just have a large campaign that people can move in and out of.

Tuesday or Wednesday nights work great for me, but I'm pretty free regardless. What about you guys?

Looking at feedback, I'd say 3.5 is the way to go, ad it's the version I'm most familiar with anyway.

Now we just need to talk about DMs and scheduling. There's a lotta people, but I'm sure when we start to discuss schedules we can see if we want to split into two different groups or just have a large campaign that people can move in and out of.

Tuesday or Wednesday nights work great for me, but I'm pretty free regardless. What about you guys?

Currently that works for me, but I'll be switching my work schedule up now that classes are over, so depending if they have me opening or closing is dependent if i can play on week days. Gonna try to get weekends off though.

I agree not 4th edition. (Even though it's the only edition i know, haha!)

Thing is, such a large group is very hard to manage. The idea is great. But take into consideration of combat.

It could take ages! I don't really see a work-around for it unless this is going to be very RP based, you know?

Unless in this "organization" It would really have to be split into two groups either way. Unless some magic man can speed combat up?

We had about 16 people who wanted to play, and 2 DMs. Scheduling was a nightmare, thus the idea. We found 1 optimal day a week for the DMs, and played a single session each week. The DMs would rotate, or in some rare cases - work together to manage a slightly larger than average group of players, like 8ish. I know there is a ton of interest, but obviously there are going to be lots of scheduling conflicts, players that can't make it, ect. The idea was great because if say, Player A couldn't make a particular session, we had an instant excuse for his character, he was back on the ship, defending it, or perhaps off on another mission with a different part of the crew. You also get the flexibility to run multiple campaigns if thats how you want to do it, effectively splitting the group each session. Lastly, you also get the advantage of having basic role play introductions established - this really helps out new players. If a brand new player drops in for a random session, you immediately have an in-game reason as to why he's there.. 'oh.. he's the new guy'. I'd also suggest we select 1 or 2 players to be the DMs early, and make the schedule around them, rather than trying to accommodate everyone.

Oh, and on the subject of which version to play, 3.5 is definitely a fan favorite, but it is harder to learn, and takes longer to play. 4th is way more streamlined and combat is just... easier. On the other hand, 3.5 is more 'classic' D&D and has a LOT more customization. Performing combat over voice chat is *already* a pretty big headache and is going to make things take longer, so that's something to be thinking about. When all is said and done, I honestly have no preference between the versions, For a combat-heavy campaign, I honestly prefer 4th, but if you want to tell a story, go 3.5!

K-Wix has pretty much said everything I was going to say. I might like to hop in to play once in a while. I prefer 4th edition for it's simplicity, and it's been ages since I played 3.5, but whichever one works for me.

Also, while I realize learning a new system might be more trouble than it's worth, you might want to look into the Savage Worlds system. It's designed to kick out the clutter and keep the game moving along. Plus it's just a system and not bound to any particular setting. While pulp action/adventure is where it shines most, it can handle a large variety of settings quite well.

We had about 16 people who wanted to play, and 2 DMs. Scheduling was a nightmare, thus the idea. We found 1 optimal day a week for the DMs, and played a single session each week. The DMs would rotate, or in some rare cases - work together to manage a slightly larger than average group of players, like 8ish. I know there is a ton of interest, but obviously there are going to be lots of scheduling conflicts, players that can't make it, ect. The idea was great because if say, Player A couldn't make a particular session, we had an instant excuse for his character, he was back on the ship, defending it, or perhaps off on another mission with a different part of the crew. You also get the flexibility to run multiple campaigns if thats how you want to do it, effectively splitting the group each session. Lastly, you also get the advantage of having basic role play introductions established - this really helps out new players. If a brand new player drops in for a random session, you immediately have an in-game reason as to why he's there.. 'oh.. he's the new guy'. I'd also suggest we select 1 or 2 players to be the DMs early, and make the schedule around them, rather than trying to accommodate everyone.

Oh, and on the subject of which version to play, 3.5 is definitely a fan favorite, but it is harder to learn, and takes longer to play. 4th is way more streamlined and combat is just... easier. On the other hand, 3.5 is more 'classic' D&D and has a LOT more customization. Performing combat over voice chat is *already* a pretty big headache and is going to make things take longer, so that's something to be thinking about. When all is said and done, I honestly have no preference between the versions, For a combat-heavy campaign, I honestly prefer 4th, but if you want to tell a story, go 3.5!

Although I agree with 4e's simplicity combat with so many people is far from streamlined. I know 4e, and with so many people it's hectic in combat.

Combat takes AGES with so many people. Unless K-wix is the magic man to remedy that.

But I have to agree, it is easier.

Combat is going to take a while no matter what system you use. At least one person in every group is going to deliberate over what move would be most effective. One option to keep things moving would be to set a timer on everyone's turn. If the time runs out, your turn is skipped.

Combat is going to take a while no matter what system you use. At least one person in every group is going to deliberate over what move would be most effective. One option to keep things moving would be to set a timer on everyone's turn. If the time runs out, your turn is skipped.

The timer sounds excellent, and for me I don't think I'll have too much to debate over, I'm pretty sure most of my decision tree is punch man in face or don't punch man in face. =P

Combat takes AGES with so many people. Unless k-wix is the magic man to remedy that.

There are some really simple tips/cheats you can use to speed up combat. (Using a timer is a fantastic idea, but might be punishing for a brand new player)

1.) Reduce the HP of every enemy on the board by about 25% and then give them a small damage boost (like +1 damage to all attacks) A lot of D&D enemies are very brutish, and sometimes it turns into a swinging match where each turn your in an optimal position and your just attacking back and forth, trading blows until someones HP runs out. 4th edition is much better here, with minions and powers.

2.) Designate one 'leader' enemy in every single encounter. If the leader falls, combat instantly ends and the rest of the enemies scatter and are broken, any other 'combat-style' actions can just be role-played out, since it's obvious at this point that the players have won. So many encounters get into this 'clean up' phase, where its obvious they've won.. but combat keeps dragging on because certain enemies are so tough.

3.) Lastly, you can auto-maximize all damage dealt to everyone, players and monsters alike. On the subject of critical hits, you roll a 1d6 and add the total to your damage. This mod can be dangerous and really punishing for new players, positioning and tanking enemies becomes important, and combat gets super scary very quickly. This speeds up combat a huge deal by skipping a die roll a turn, and doubling the damage that gets put on the board every turn.

3.5 and 4e are both complicated, but for entirely different reasons. Trying to run a game with any of those beyond like 5 people is going to be a bloody nightmare--I should know, I've tried doing so with both editions multiple times, and it rarely ends well.

I'd actually suggest giving Dungeon World a shot (which is free. It's a hack of Apocalypse World. No grid to worry about, things move quickly, and everyone gets something to do and can contribute without running into the "wizards can do anything" problem. It's got that "feel" of D&D that people seem so inclined to experience.

There are some really simple tips/cheats you can use to speed up combat. (Using a timer is a fantastic idea, but might be punishing for a brand new player)

1.) Reduce the HP of every enemy on the board by about 25% and then give them a small damage boost (like +1 damage to all attacks) A lot of D&D enemies are very brutish, and sometimes it turns into a swinging match where each turn your in an optimal position and your just attacking back and forth, trading blows until someones HP runs out. 4th edition is much better here, with minions and powers.

2.) Designate one 'leader' enemy in every single encounter. If the leader falls, combat instantly ends and the rest of the enemies scatter and are broken, any other 'combat-style' actions can just be role-played out, since it's obvious at this point that the players have won. So many encounters get into this 'clean up' phase, where its obvious they've won.. but combat keeps dragging on because certain enemies are so tough.

3.) Lastly, you can auto-maximize all damage dealt to everyone, players and monsters alike. On the subject of critical hits, you roll a 1d6 and add the total to your damage. This mod can be dangerous and really punishing for new players, positioning and tanking enemies becomes important, and combat gets super scary very quickly. This speeds up combat a huge deal by skipping a die roll a turn, and doubling the damage that gets put on the board every turn.

I like this idea. 4e was very easy for me to pick up as well.

i'm assuming you've DM'd before?

3.5 and 4e are both complicated, but for entirely different reasons. Trying to run a game with any of those beyond like 5 people is going to be a bloody nightmare--I should know, I've tried doing so with both editions multiple times, and it rarely ends well.

I'd actually suggest giving Dungeon World a shot (which is free. It's a hack of Apocalypse World. No grid to worry about, things move quickly, and everyone gets something to do and can contribute without running into the "wizards can do anything" problem. It's got that "feel" of D&D that people seem so inclined to experience.

I picked up 4e in just a couple sessions. Much easier then 3.5 imo.

There's also this http://roll20.net/

This is pretty rad. :D

Arrow and I were talking about this. We are both experienced mIRCscript coders. It is possible - nay, quite easy in fact! - to make a bot that can handle ALL of this stuff. Character inventory, stat sheets, combat tracking, dice rolls, you name it. We used to love that stuff. I've never done DND specifically but I would like to take a shot at it. Maybe after Christmas?

Arrow and I were talking about this. We are both experienced mIRCscript coders. It is possible - nay, quite easy in fact! - to make a bot that can handle ALL of this stuff. Character inventory, stat sheets, combat tracking, dice rolls, you name it. We used to love that stuff. I've never done DND specifically but I would like to take a shot at it. Maybe after Christmas?

I've seen some bots like that before. There is a channel on espernet I setup for communication purposes that I'm lazily setting up. #D&D

I figured it'd be much easier to come together and decided what's going on, or whatever, schedules, time, dates, whatever.

MaxFrost showed me this: http://tabletopforge.com/

Looks pretty cool.

Also, I'm still going to recommend D&D 3.5 as some people said it's more roleplaying compared to 4e and I happen to agree with that as well.

w.r.t. the setting, I won't settle for anything less than Planescape.

Looks pretty interesting. We don't need like all the boxsets and stuff right? You just want to use the basic setting of Planescape?

I suppose you'll have to suggest it to whoever will be DMing and such. We'd be working around the DM's schedules I believe too.

So if anyone knows 3.5e and would like to DM, let us know.

• 2 weeks later...