Team OverClocked ReMix - Folding@Home

100_PERCENT ROEMER

• 2 weeks later...

I logged in to this site just to see how this thread is doing. So do any of you guys own a ps3? I heard that f@H was going to be available the end of this month. I am interested in knowing how fast can it run protein stimulations.

The PS3 client is available now, and it seems that it is pretty fast compared to standard CPU's; perhaps around 10x faster! There was a god article at www.dailytech.com recently: http://www.dailytech.com/PlayStation+3+Leads+All+at+Finding+Cancer+Cure/article6609.htm

Quote from article:

"According to the most recent Folding@home client statistics sorted by operating system, the PlayStation 3 leads all other platforms by a huge margin. The PS3 has 367 current TFLOPS, while the next closest is Windows with 151 TFLOPS and more than ten times more CPUs."

The GPU client for some ATI cards seems even more impressive, with 700 GPU's providing 41 TFLOPS.

One thing that was mentioned in the comments was that the standard CPU clients can be running on any 'clunker' of a computer, while the PS3 and ATI cards are all very new, so that may skew the average.

I'm curious too: Anyone tried a PS3 or GPU client? Should work with ATI X1600, X1800, and X1900, last I checked.

• 2 weeks later...

If only Folding@Home worked with BOINC, or actually gave work to its SMP client, or had an NVidia GPU client, I could be contributing much more.

As it stands now, my quad core beast of a computer is only using one of its cores at a time for FAH so CPU usage stays at 25% >_< When I used BOINC it ran multiple instances of the distributing computing projects so it was working on 4 WUs at a time to max out the CPU.

Anyway, I'm running FAH on my computer, and my friend Kusabi is running it on his PS3. Both of us set it so credit goes to the OCRemix team.

In an effort to cut my power bills, I've not had my win98 machine running. Which also means F@H hasn't been running.

I plan to resolve this - my quad-core is being underutilised while I'm at work. And what better way to utilise it?

Drack, something you might want to test - running multiple instances as different users. I'm uncertain if F@H checks to see which user initiated each instance, or if it just checks for multiple instances. But something to consider, no?

Actually, I have found a way to use all my cores by doing something similar. I installed FAH in 4 different directories and edited the config for each one to have a different "Machine ID" so they run as if the same user were launching them from different computers - they independently download work and are each crunching on their own WU simultaneously. I'm also running it on my laptop, so now I have 5 processors contributing. I should appear on the list when these finish early tomorrow.

Working at our computer help desk, I realized that we have computers that are on 24/7. Went ahead and threw FAH on them. That's 3 more CPU's. Then, I got the bright idea of the lab computers. Went ahead and threw FAH on for of those babies. So, I am up to a grand total of 1 client I know will stay on always, 2 clients that likely won't get shut off, 4 lab clients that are restarted on weekends (deepfreeze is no fun) and MY computer. I love administrative access. lol

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I just wanted to say im joing the fah group & could you add me to the list? thanks. oh by the way my comp's on 24/7 and i dont usually do proceser intensive things. my fah name is the same as this one

I was so unispired when i made my screen name...