Team OverClocked ReMix - Folding@Home

100_PERCENT ROEMER

Just one core2duo (6600) since last November that was on 24 hours a day. Although I was in this team since beginning I had only contributed about 4000 points in the span of one year with my original 800Mhz computer.

So it was really with this new machine that I was able to contribute the most.

Time to take the SMP version for a spin, and see what a quad-core can really accomplish in this thing.

The SMP version didn't work for me. On my quad core I just installed the regular version in 4 different directories and gave them unique machine IDs in the config files.

Since they aren't threaded each one gets a core, so using 4 of them maxes the cpu of the entire system.

• 4 weeks later...

Heh, Kusabi is a friend of mine. He's not even a member of the OCR forums (yet). He's folding at a ridiculous rate with 2 PS3s, a Powermac G5, at least one ATi GPU, and a few other computers all folding pretty much all the time. Beats my quad core beast pretty badly, but we're all on the same team here ;)

Think I'll sneak F@H onto my work computer ;)

• 3 weeks later...

So with PS3 price drop I went ahead and purchased one for myself. I wasn't originally planning to get a PS3 this year since the type of games I like aren't out yet. But since it runs F@H, I went ahead get got one. PS3 runs and finishes with protien stimulations at 1/3rd the time that my computer does. Quite fast.

Oh, and some people have now started utilizing this project as a business. This website offers computers for hire to people so that people can get points boost to themselves or their teams. Kind of strange. But in the end, it's still contributing to science.

Heh, Kusabi is a friend of mine. He's not even a member of the OCR forums (yet). He's folding at a ridiculous rate with 2 PS3s, a Powermac G5, at least one ATi GPU, and a few other computers all folding pretty much all the time. Beats my quad core beast pretty badly, but we're all on the same team here ;)

Think I'll sneak F@H onto my work computer ;)

Heh. I didn't even get a chance to build my last computer. I do like your Hydra, though.

But I'll set the record straight. What I've managed to get folding@home running on:

1 x Sony Playstation 3 (3.2 GHz Cell)

1 x Apple PowerMac G5 Quad (2x PowerPC 970MP (Dual Core) @ 2.5 GHz/core)

and then a few generic PCs

1 x AMD Athlon64 4200 X2

1 x 3.0GHz P4 Northwood

2 x Core 2 Duo 6600

and of course, I'm sure I'm forgetting something...ah the joys of having access to the domain administrator's account. :smile:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Haha, give me an address to send it to, and I'll send ya a taco for real. No guarantees on its freshness though! :P

On second thought, let me reach one million mark, and for that let me upgrade from getting a taco to getting Chalupa supreme. It's so tasty.

Heh. I didn't even get a chance to build my last computer. I do like your Hydra, though.

But I'll set the record straight. What I've managed to get folding@home running on:

1 x Sony Playstation 3 (3.2 GHz Cell)

1 x Apple PowerMac G5 Quad (2x PowerPC 970MP (Dual Core) @ 2.5 GHz/core)

and then a few generic PCs

1 x AMD Athlon64 4200 X2

1 x 3.0GHz P4 Northwood

2 x Core 2 Duo 6600

and of course, I'm sure I'm forgetting something...ah the joys of having access to the domain administrator's account. :smile:

You sir are amazing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...