Team OverClocked ReMix - Folding@Home

100_PERCENT ROEMER

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

need some bump!

Sorry I haven't been folding lately. I've been mining bitcoins instead. Unfortunately my power supply couldn't take the load from my maxed out cpu and graphics card so it died and took my motherboard with it :cry: Once I get a couple new parts I'll be back online. Also, notice how ATI cards are hard to come by? Blame bitcoins for this

Man, only 10 active right now?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good thing it's alive, too, because I had a question:

I downloaded and installed this on my Mac a little while ago, but I've never really opened it or fooled around with it. But just today, I checked out the process threads because my computer seemed to be making a lot of noise with the small amount of activity I was doing on it. Sure enough, FAHCore was running at something like 300%, and the process would always return whenever I canceled it. As I mentioned, I haven't opened the FAH software for months, so I don't know why the thread would be running, but I didn't want the thread to be running without my say-so, so I uninstalled it.

I'd be interested in running FAH at night when I'm not using my computer, but I want to enable and disable the software at will. Is that possible, and if so, how?

• 2 weeks later...
I'd be interested in running FAH at night when I'm not using my computer, but I want to enable and disable the software at will. Is that possible, and if so, how?

You can just quit the program like a typical application any time during the day, and it won't be using CPU. If you have the Web Control page open when you do this, a notice will pop up telling you that Folding@home has been disconnected.

If you don't have the latest client (7.3.6) installed, I'd do that too, and uninstall any older clients. The older versions of the program installed as "Folding@home". Newer versions install as a folder names FAHClient and an application names FAHControl, so you have to uninstall the old application as well, not just install the new one.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Being that 6 years worth of posts can all fit on one page, I think it's time to give this topic a bump.

Something I saw jogged my memory about Folding@Home, and I was wondering if the OCR team was still a thing!

I reinstalled the client on a few computers, and it's pretty amazing how many points they are racking up compared to so many years ago when the thread was started. After having a couple PC's running the client full tilt for probably a couple years, I managed to get around 600k points. On my home PC, a just above average home built 4 year old PC with a 7 year old GPU (which the F@H client can utilize), if I ran it full tilt, would get that many points in about a month. If F@H hasn't inflated the points, it's kind of amazing how much more power PC's have. Moore's law, etc, etc...

The client is so much nicer too, and one install runs both the CPU and GPU.

Anyway, just thought I'd bump the thread in case anyone else wants to reinstall the client and get folding!

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/2/2020 at 3:48 PM, Jonathan David Arndt said:

This is still a very relevant program, especially with the recent quarantine developments globally.

Here's a little something from Tom's Hardware that I saw had been aggregated by SO earlier today:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/folding-at-home-worlds-top-supercomputers-coronavirus-covid-19

Indeed it is.. can't believe my name is still in the OP as a contributor to the original team. Might have to get back on this..

What year is this?!  The folding thread is the first on the community page and the prophet of mephisto, er, prophetik music, still wants to build you a computer!?

I'm currently folding with an nVidia 1080 I acquired used over Christmas (up from an nVidia 460, finally!), and an AMD FX-8250 (8 threads at 4 GHz). What's interesting is even though the CPU is pretty much right at 100%, the GPU only floats between 35-50 percent haven't really dug into why. 

If you're looking _just_ at number of Work Units, for a while I was running the browser client, NaCl, but that's now deprecated: http://nacl.foldingathome.org/  That had a lot of really small WU's, so I could crank through a WU in maybe an hour. Had a decent computer at work at the time, but it would have been frowned upon to run the full client. I could leave the web browser open, though.

Glad it's getting some traction again! I think a couple weeks ago they actually ran out of WU's to hand out because so many people joined up to help out with COVID-19 research. That with the new GPU card got me thinking about it again!

• 1 month later...