Team OverClocked ReMix - Folding@Home

100_PERCENT ROEMER

• 2 weeks later...
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=48303.

The top 800 get individual stats on the page. Right now, we're just under 900, according to the site. With our new members, I think we can make it. :)

Let's totally kick ass. I'm nearly done my third work unit. I keep my computer on all the time now (though it gets shut down accidentally occasionally).

How much bandwidth does this take up? If it's not too much, I can do this from work AND from home.

It only takes up bandwidth when you download or 'turn in' a project. Most of the time the program just sits there computing and doesn't use any bandwidth.

First, you have to download the program (less than half a MB), then once it's running it download what's called a core; a small chunk of data that's usually less than 5 MB's. When it's done computing, it uploads the results. I don't know how big the result is, but it never takes very long on my dial up connection (less than a minute).

The program is only CPU intensive, and really does not take up much HDD space or RAM (currently its 20MB of RAM on this computer). It's nice though, because FAH gives itself the lowest priority possible in Windows (you can bump it up, if you like) which means that if you're doing anything else, it gets full priority until it's done. When it says it uses spare CPU cycles, it really ONLY uses those spare or unused cycles.

Give it a try, and if you don't like it, uninstall it. Also, it gives you an estimate of how long it will take until the unit is done. It will take a little bit to get an accurate measurement of your machine, so it may say something like several hundred days; just be patient and it will come down. It should be around a day or two to a week, depending on your CPU's speed and how much you leave your computer on.

I need to get back into this, for some wierd reason, I stopped. Is there some way I can retrive my old stats, cause I can't find the program on my computer :(

I think all you need is your original user name. However, any work that you did for another team (or no team) can't be added to a new team that you join (ours, I'm assuming :wink: ). So to get back all your original stats, you have to join the same team. (I think that's how it works.. might be worth a cruise through the FAQ's)

If it was uninstalled form your computer, or you're installing it on a new computer, it won't update those offline stats. When you open up the program display it shows your name, team number, work units completed, etc. That work units completed is only the work units that that computer has done. For example, when I open it up on my current computer, it says I have done 60 WU's, but my online stats are 180. The remaining WU's were done by a different computer (or three :)!! )

I need to get back into this, for some wierd reason, I stopped. Is there some way I can retrive my old stats, cause I can't find the program on my computer :(

I think all you need is your original user name. However, any work that you did for another team (or no team) can't be added to a new team that you join (ours, I'm assuming :wink: ). So to get back all your original stats, you have to join the same team. (I think that's how it works.. might be worth a cruise through the FAQ's)

If it was uninstalled form your computer, or you're installing it on a new computer, it won't update those offline stats. When you open up the program display it shows your name, team number, work units completed, etc. That work units completed is only the work units that that computer has done. For example, when I open it up on my current computer, it says I have done 60 WU's, but my online stats are 180. The remaining WU's were done by a different computer (or three :)!! )

Hah! So I could've put the same name on my old box!

• 2 weeks later...
Boy, if this could be run within the BOINC client, I'd love contribute.

But I'd rather not have BOINC running seti@home and einstein@home and the standalone folding@home.

Yeah, I ran BOINC for a little bit before I joined this one. I did like how it made it easier to manage multiple projects, but there were still a few things that bugged me about it. I think they should have made it where you joined BOINC, and then worked on whatever projects you like, instead of having to register with every individual project... Should have been more like an all you can eat buffet, instead of a food court, if you can figure that analogy out :wink:

I guess my other complaint is along those same lines... there wasn't any way to have a team do multiple projects, you created a team for each project...

While I was looking around the Folding site, I found a thread that said they were considering moving to the BOINC client, but the thread was old, from '04 I think, so I wouldn't hold my breath...

and bump.

• 2 weeks later...