Team OverClocked ReMix - Folding@Home

100_PERCENT ROEMER

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone thinking about getting a PS3, you might be able to fold on it. There's also some comments about folding using GPU's, though it looks like only ATI.

Something strange - I haven't been able to acquire any new packets to work on. Most odd.

I was checking out a tech forum that had a folding team and read a few of their threads (spying on the enemy, I suppose). One thing that was mentioned was that they had stopped issuing, or had run out, of 'deadlineless' work packets. I have one computer that is set up to do the deadlineless work packets since it's a little slow, and it has been unable to download any new WU's. It's an easy option to change in the configure menu, under advanced, at the bottom. Might fix it for you, if you're still having problems.

And another bump! Hmm, we could use some new members too. Recruiting time I say! :)

Well, I don't know that I can recruit any actual people, but I am starting a new job tomorrow and may be able to get a few computers there folding, but we'll have to see... The computers I'm using at my current job (technically 3, but one is super slow and isn't on much) will still be folding, but I don't know how much they'll stay on, or if the folding program will be removed.

Oh, I did have a question to ask. Does the folding program disable the screen saver for anyone else? On my new computer at home the screen saver never comes on while it's working on a WU. Once it's done, before I connect to get a new packet (dial-up), the screen saver has come on then... any thoughts? The screen saver is just a generic windows screen saver, not the folding one.

Since this thread has been around in gendisc since last year, I think it would be a good idea if this thread is turned into an announcement or at least stickied so that it remains on front page. Even though the topic of this thread has nothing to do with what ocremix is all about, it at least reflects the diversity of our community, and it does so in a very positive way.

Would it be worth it to create another forum page just for OCR teams? There's our folding team, and it periodically pops up with teams for games and such,:

Team OCRemix [Halo2 Clan]

That was just the one I happened to find first, but I know there are more... Just thinking it might be better the having a ton of stickes at the top of the page...

I also added my computer at work, but sadly it is about a 500MHz CPU, so it's hardly going to be cranking out the WU's... There are some other computers around, and quite a nice server room, but I think they have more important things to be doing...

Well, maybe in a year or so, after I get comfortable at the job..... or start to hate it and wouldn't mind getting fired :D

That, and in the meantime I have to figure out how to put stuff on them.... I mean, there's no keyboards or monitors or anything... what good are they? Who can use a computer like that? And if they're usless, why do we have so many of them? :?

None of the friends I've talked to will put F@H on their computers, neither will any of my family. My girlfriend would, but she uses her laptop for everything, and turns it off whenever she's done working on it, so there would be no point.

I'm still trying to get people to join though, just having problems finding ones who are willing.

I'd like to get involved, and i read the first post stuff, but i don't get what this is all about

You should take a look at this.

What is protein folding and how is folding linked to disease? Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, in many ways remains a mystery.

Moreover, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes.

So this program basically uses a little bit of computing power from your pc and folds protiens. All of this data can help biologists understand how the whole protein folding process works and why it doesn't work in certain cases.

yeah, i guess i didn't understand it. If i can convince my mom to use it, i bet i can have it on all day.

Well, looks like i'm hooked up now. Not sure if i set it up for the team though

pretty sure i did.

Add'd:What's the sccreensaver option for? can you actually make FAH your screensaver?