Team OverClocked ReMix - Folding@Home

100_PERCENT ROEMER

yeah, i guess i didn't understand it. If i can convince my mom to use it, i bet i can have it on all day.

Well, looks like i'm hooked up now. Not sure if i set it up for the team though

pretty sure i did.

It should look something like untitledzp1.th.jpg

Add'd:What's the sccreensaver option for? can you actually make FAH your screensaver?

Yes, in the control panel just go to display tab and click on the screensaver option, simple as that.

i have joined too. can some one check that i did? my name on there is johnderrilll on folding@home. when i have folding up all i see is some moleculee type tings and they hardly move. is there any way to get more movement out of it? i have a graphics card that is 256 mb PCI. not PCIe. any help would be cool. i dont think i know any one from here cept keegan and dama so it would be nice to make some new friends.

i have joined too. can some one check that i did? my name on there is johnderrilll on folding@home. when i have folding up all i see is some moleculee type tings and they hardly move. is there any way to get more movement out of it? i have a graphics card that is 256 mb PCI. not PCIe. any help would be cool. i dont think i know any one from here cept keegan and dama so it would be nice to make some new friends.

The process of moleule drawing is intentionally delayed by a timer. It is just a non cpu intensive way to show the protein.

That's awesome you guys. Thanks for joining.

By the way John, I recently changed the graphics display for mine. If you right click on the screen and go to configure, then go to the tab for graphics, you can switch the image. It's supposed to represent the folding things that you're doing, the protein strands that are being simulated and all that, but it doesn't get any more action-packed than that.

The exciting part is seeing our team's rankings going up (as well as your individual ranking within the team). Just leave it on all the time, it doesn't slow down your computer or anything.

By the way, your names will show up on the list after you've completed your first work unit.

Maybe when you are running 50,000 frame packet. And even then it's maybe.

Edit:

I just had a look at what my computers are currently working on. My laptop is working on a 250,000 step WU, my server is working on a 1,000,000 step WU, and my desktop on a 10,000,000 step WU (Project 2106).

My desktop just started Project 2106. It says it'll be done January 18th 2011...

I really need to switch from the graphical client, but I'm lazy.

Now that is elite. By the way, most of the time I get 250WU packets.

It's not all about the number of frames, but how long it takes to fold each one. You can get a 20k frams WU that will take 8-9 seconds for each frame, and a 500 frame WU that will take several minutes for each frame on the same CPU. Probably has something to do with the complexity of the protein, but that just speculation on my part.

Welcome to all our new members! I also added my parents computer to my army last weekend to make sure you young whippersnappers don't take over my first place :D

It's not all about the number of frames, but how long it takes to fold each one. You can get a 20k frams WU that will take 8-9 seconds for each frame, and a 500 frame WU that will take several minutes for each frame on the same CPU. Probably has something to do with the complexity of the protein, but that just speculation on my part.

Actually, I have been wondering for quite some time regarding why excatly do certain cores require a longer time to be stimulated than others. Take a look at this:

Take a look at project 1164. Number of atoms: 91,787 with frame number at 100. Compare this to project 1487 where number of atomes: 87,920 with frame number being 100. But for project 1164, you are awarded 574 points and for project 1487, you are awarded 1161 points. And I am assuming that this difference is because project 1487 takes longer to complete. But why? Is it because the atomic structure of project 1487 is more complex, therefore requiring a longer time for stimulation?

Welcome to all our new members! I also added my parents computer to my army last weekend to make sure you young whippersnappers don't take over my first place

Don't worry, no one is going to take over your 1st position for a very long time. But still, adding more computers is never a bad thing.

And by the way, team rank: 681.

Also, take a look at performance of Intel core 2 duo:

c2dvx2.png

Don't worry, no one is going to take over your 1st position for a very long time. But still, adding more computers is never a bad thing.

Very true. Even if all my computers stopped folding, it would take a while for eveyone to catch up... I was just trying to add some more computers because the bulk of my folding computers I no longer have control over. They were where I used to work, and could be turned off or have f@h uninstalled at any time, and I couldn't do anything about it. Fortunatly, the guy in charge there is less than observant and probably hasn't noticed the computers are on all the time. That, and the other guy I worked with think folding's dumb, but humors me and leaves the cpu's running :D

Also, take a look at performance of Intel core 2 duo:

8O Wow. That's pretty significant for a couple of those projects. Now we just need a multi-threaded version of the f@h app to make use of the new multi-core chips. My main PC never get above 50% when it's only folding... all in good time, I suppose.

Also, check this out about using your video card to fold. They actually released a beta for ATI X1900 and X1950 cards. I'd be interested if anyone on our team has any of those and how they do.

Wich one should I download the graphical client or the GPU client? What's the difference?

Well, you need appropriate hardware for running the GPU client. Plus, the client is still in beta stages, so I wouldn't recommend using it due to stability issues. So stick with graphical client for now.

And welcome to the team.

That's pretty significant for a couple of those projects. Now we just need a multi-threaded version of the f@h app to make use of the new multi-core chips. My main PC never get above 50% when it's only folding... all in good time, I suppose.

You mean like this:

untitledkc0.th.jpg

Were you not aware that you can simultaneously run two f@h programs on dual core processors.

So it's that time of the year again when some of us are going to have to apply to universities for graduate or undergraduate studies. As a result, it is possible that some of us will have to deal with opening and reading those oh - so polite rejection letters. Have you ever wondered how to respond to those rejection letters. Well, here is one way:

April 1, 2007

Graduate Admissions Committee

Department of Physics

Big Deal University

Collegeville, USA

Dear Committee Members:

Thanks for your letter of March 30. After careful consideration, I regret to inform you that I am unable to accept your rejection at this time.

This year I have been particularly fortunate in receiving an unusually large number of rejection letters. With such a varied and promising field of schools, it is impossible for me to accept all refusals.

Despite your outstanding record and previous experience in rejecting applicants, I find that your rejection does not meet my current career needs. Consequently, I will begin taking classes as a graduate student in your department this August. I look forward to seeing you then.

Best of luck in rejecting future applicants.

Sincerely Yours,

[Name Withheld]