OCRA-0006 - Chrono Trigger: Chrono Symphonic

Claado Shou

This was an excellent project, and all of the songs were great! The only complaint that I have is that it seems like the main theme was mixed into just about every song, which got a little old. Also, I noticed a couple songs mixed in there that I already had...Blue Skies Over Guardia is the one that I can remember...but that's ok :).

Overall, though, I really liked it.

In every Chrono Trigger song is a part of the main theme. Even in the original version. Same happened with almost all Final Fantasy games. Especially FF7.

Another thing that makes "Chrono Symphonic" so special compared to other remixing projects is not the engineering, or the singer, or the remixers. Nope... Chrono Symphonic is the first remixing project (on OCR) that didn't follow the rule "okay you do this and that track and that track only". The mixers could do what they want with their "interpretations". They chose a source tune and mixed it into a complete score. Movie based or not - it is something special.

And as already mentioned - the score works best if you have a picture in front of you. So... why not try to play this music while playing Chrono Trigger again? Does it still not apeal?

To the "Special Edition":

I can only quote Kyle - I'm working on it and it's done when it's done. I won't go into it any further.

The thread was closed because it was misused as "feedback" thread, even though in the topic and on the first page was (and still is) standing that this thread is not for feedback and congrats. I'll post in there again if I have some relevant infos for you. Patience...

Bandwith numbers eh? My mirror got hit for 45.856 GB last month. Not bad at all. Nice work.

Hmm... well, when the special edition comes out, if you're in need of more mirrors, I could probably help out. I don't know how close to their limits all the mirrors are (or how big the Special Edition release will be), but if you're running low on bandwidth, let me know... I've got a bit I could spare.

Oh, and since this *is* the feedback thread...

awesome, can't wait for the special edition!

I promised Ravi to comment on his CS mixes a while back, but I've been too busy up til now to listen to it with any great deal of detail.

Morning Sunlight by sephfire/SirRus

Nice work you two. This one really surprised me, as it seems very different from the work you two normally do. EQing/velocities of the marc/stac strings at the onset could have been a little more distinct to accent those passages though.

I recognize the reason piano and think the tone of it fits this piece perfectly. It has that nice gentile sound that I particularly like. The supporting strings and woodwinds add a nice touch and background element to the mix. Very nicely done you both!

Manifest Destiny by SirRus

This one I had to hear, I've heard the wip versions and the previous version of this.

Nice to see the stereo spread finally expanded on in this version. ;) The balance and placement is more refined now. I thought as usual for you, the creativity and the arrangement concepts brought to the table were handled very nicely. I'm not sure if those disco violins fit this piece as well as it could have though, but that's a small complaint. Compy did a nice job adding some space here between the various elements.

A little underdeveloped, and the ending could have been smoother with the ify ritardando and bass drum hit.

Small issues aside, I thought this was extremely well done, and a great listen. I'm not surprised that a lot of people are particularly citing your mix amongst the crowd. Good job bro, proud of you. Keep at it and keep improving!

*sorry for posting bad thread.* so was their ever plans to do a cross section of this? cause it seriously seems half assed to do only one game in a series.

Chrono Symphonic focuses only on Chrono Trigger.

Site Projects work on a game by game basis. Someone (or a group of people) come up with an idea for a project, and foster interest and participation by remixers, artists, and fans.

In other words, if you want a Chrono Cross project, you should try to organize it yourself.

*sorry for posting bad thread.* so was their ever plans to do a cross section of this? cause it seriously seems half assed to do only one game in a series.

Site Projects work on a game by game basis. Someone (or a group of people) come up with an idea for a project, and foster interest and participation by remixers, artists, and fans.

In other words, if you want a Chrono Cross project, you should try to organize it yourself.

I would, but I have no musical talent other than my turntables.

Who said you needed musical talent?

Well, you at least need to be known and respected in the community for people to follow you... Stick around, grey; maybe sometime. :P

Well, you at least need to be known and respected in the community for people to follow you... Stick around, grey; maybe sometime. :P

If's it crap about the game, I'd be world famous. :D

I think a score-type thing for Chrono Cross would be rather cool. Though in the many times throughout the years I had tried to imagine one, it seems ridiculously daunting. The plot to Chrono Cross is just so much more complex and hard to adapt than Chrono Trigger's.

Honestly, I think this is the most boring collection of remixes I have ever listened to. Mv's Darkest Omen is totally sweet, but the rest? Oh God, there's just no edge to it AT ALL! Here's a tip, guys: Orchestral remixes can have power, too. They don't HAVE to be boring as hell.

I am disappointed.

I almost started crying when the main theme was over. It felt like it never even started. It was just a bunch of half-assed orchestral sounds that never really formed into a melody. I can't believe that you actually made two CDs in 2006 (or was it 2005?) that were ground into dust by 1995 console music from a cart. What a crock.

I only liked a few of the songs, but most of the tracks and the my overall feel on the music is that it doesn't have enough "umph" to it...

I didn't want to post in here for the last 3 months, thinking it was just me being biased against it, but I agree completely. Most of the tracks didn't have the passion they deserved. Many of the songs did have passion, but were unfortunately slow to start, and ended just when getting me interested. Tracks inspired by Magus had a sense of danger, but not the tormented side of it.

I truly am sorry that I didn't enjoy this as much as I should have, I am sorry to the remixers that dedicated their time to this that I didn't appreciate their work as much as was warranted. If there is any consolation to these artists, I still believe that I am biased by the constant delays and the promises of immaculate music. Nothing could have lived up to the promises made, and broken from September through January. If anyone was not reading the release discussion thread waiting with baited breath, I suggest you give it a listen and make your own choice. Otherwise, if anyone who followed the thread for the four months leading to the release has yet to get it, save yourself the trouble.

Is it possible to get a copy with translation? Also copies from all other magazine "coverings"? I should check all german magazines about that.

EDIT:

Didn't find anything special on a quick search. Just a couple of german blogs where C.S. was menioned. But nothing in a games amagazine or one of the leading german anime magazines (which is dissapointing, cause I know there is a fanbase there).

The whole project as well as album cover art were included in the "gaming music" section of the magazine's DVD (#3, 2006), together with some Doom and Heretic remixes, Auto-Assault and Survivor soundtracks. The commentary wrote (please bear with my amateurish translation):

"Chrono Symphonic - a tribute-symphony.

This impressive work was performed by the enthusiasts from our favorite Overclocked Remix community. It is a tribute of esteem to the stunning soundtrack of the Chrono Trigger game (1995, Squaresoft, SNES), a musical "thank you!" to its authors: Yasunori Mitsuda, Nobuo Uematsu and Noriko Mats. Yasunori Mitsuda is the first in this list, of course.

The Chrono Symphonic project (http://chrono.ocremix.org), organized by Claado Shou, was started in October 2004, and was finished by this year's January. Eighteen different musicians took part in the project (including our compatriot). But the thing that started it all, you won't believe it, was a script for the Chrono Trigger movie, written by the aforementioned Claado Shou. The movie is less than likely to see the light of day, but its soundtrack is here. Many thanks to the authors!"