Using samples from originals in your ReMix

Are you allowed to use samples from originals in a ReMix? I looked over the Submission guide and couldn't find anything pertaining to this. By samples I don't mean instrument samples, I mean passages directly from the original into your mix (with your own original instrumentation and music, of course).

you're sticking to the original material a little to much and not expanding your boundaries

I agree, but in the original I'm thinking of doing there's a segment that's just very hard to reproduce the exact tone of, because it uses a lot of varied tonal percussion, so I was thinking off adding it to the segment I came up with to "recreate" that unique sound.

Yes, I cnostantly integrate original material into my remixes.

By original I mean original game track, rather than your own original works.

you're sticking to the original material a little to much and not expanding your boundaries

I agree, but in the original I'm thinking of doing there's a segment that's just very hard to reproduce the exact tone of, because it uses a lot of varied tonal percussion, so I was thinking off adding it to the segment I came up with to "recreate" that unique sound.

Yes, I cnostantly integrate original material into my remixes.

By original I mean original game track, rather than your own original works.

Yes, I coostantly integrate original material into my remixes. It's part of making a unique arrangement. However, typically, it should be material that's related in SOME way to the source material.

I'm sorry but ROFL.

Back on topic I think it's valid. I've even sampled sections specifically for hip-hop/big beat songs. It's very cool.

Oh, go screw yourselves ;)

I don't get what's being asked. He's saying, directly sample the original.. but with your own instrumentation? Then it's not direct sampling, it's covering. Can you be more specific?

I think by instumentation he means added. He said something about percussion so maybe he means using a sample plus his own instrumentation.

What I meant was: You directly sample a clip from the original song and insert it into your ReMix, that's all. When I said "with your own instrumentation and music" I meant that it wouldn't be there by itself, but along with your own original material.

What I meant was: You directly sample a clip from the original song and insert it into your ReMix, that's all. When I said "with your own instrumentation and music" I meant that it wouldn't be there by itself, but along with your own original material.

Yeah, that's no issue at all. Irregardless of its relation to the game, as long as the SFX usage is tasteful and well-integrated into the track, it's fine.

so, like, a hip hop mix or a dj mix (like said seith mix) would/would not be in violation of OCR guidelines by todays standards? lets say for example, i do a complete overhaul of an original - total genre change - and sampled the original, chopped, cut up, mixed and tweaked, hip hop style in a complete rearrangement of the original theme; would it be in violation of the standards?

• 4 weeks later...

hey, i gotta revive this slightly dead thread with an example. I wrote this up with Reason 3 for the current PRC. I used 3-4 samples from the starting minute, and manipulated them around enough to change the theme (in my opinion at least) Would this be an acceptable use of samples in a remix?

link = http://www.geocities.com/v_gasm2000/FFXIII.mp3

that also violates the guidelines ;0

idk, imo, the rules aren't clear cut enough to say that that violates the guidelines.

though, what part are you saying it's against?

this?

does not borrow too heavily from outside sources

no. this:

ReMixer(s): DJ Seith

LOLO!Lo1lololl afk :arrow:

• 3 weeks later...
so, like, a hip hop mix or a dj mix (like said seith mix) would/would not be in violation of OCR guidelines by todays standards? lets say for example, i do a complete overhaul of an original - total genre change - and sampled the original, chopped, cut up, mixed and tweaked, hip hop style in a complete rearrangement of the original theme; would it be in violation of the standards?

Would be a violation. BTW, I like the second version he did of that, but merely slicing and cutting up the source material itself is not acceptable.

Your question throws some ambiguities into the picture, but if you're doing a legitimate rearrangement that happens to have some cut up sampling, that's ok. It's all about using the directly sampled original in a tasteful manner.

If you removed direct sampling from a song and the arrangement couldn't stand on it's own, that's a good indication that it's a violation.

The only problem with using material from the original mix in you remix is that it brings up even more copyright issues.

Thus far, We have all been very fortunate that no computer game companies have had any issues with OCREMIX. This may be because most of the tracks being remixed are from old games where the source material was unfit for sampling (Eg. old atari inbuilt synths etc.) If we start sampling from, say, a PS2 game that has an orchestra, we are not only violating intelectual copyrights but mechanical copyrights too.

If the companies let us get away with it it will be awesome and open up more opportunities. I have completed a remix of the Tenchu 1 themesong but haven't posted as yet due to this postential issue.