EastWest/FL Studio Issues

edit: My friend finally replied. He said NEVER run CCleaner, it deletes things not actively used by Windows and deletes registry keys. Sounds like a bad news program!

Yeah its looking more and more like a registry thing. Dammit.

Oh well, thats still useful all the same and I'm fairly sure it can be fixed.

Ok, well downloading the FL Studio Reg file doesn't work either. ***damn, what a pain in the ass this is.

Certainly I can't be the only person on Earth who's ever had this problem, but there is almost no helpful content on it anywhere I look. All my hopes rest on Image-Line and Sounds-online customer service, and we probably know how that will go.

before I spend 3-7 days updating and trying and possibly failing to get stuff back where it needs to be.

It literally takes less than an hour to update. If it doesn't, you have bigger problems with your computer than "FL/QL won't work".

In that case, you may want to reformat your computer. That DOES take a lot longer, but it helps so much in the long run to annihilate all of the software problems you're having when you install everything fresh.

So sorry you're still struggling M... glad to see you posted in Looptalk... I just pinged my friend again to see if he has any other advice, if he does he'll post it there. Hang in there, it *will* get solved somehow.

edit: this may be totally unrelated, but do you ever run something like Malwarebytes on your machine? Just in case there is some weird virus in there now? (it's free and wonderful)

I've used Malwarebytes in the past and I agree it kicks ass, but I'm pretty sure this isn't a virus issue because AVG is still working.

Best I can come up with is I just used the wrong .dll files (as in the Qtcore4.dll from something else) and I think I can't avoid a full un-install any longer. I'm just going to trash it and try it again hopefully.

Shot in the dark here, but it sounds like the registry cleaner may have messed up the Windows environment variables that tell programs where DLL files live. The idea is that possible locations for DLLs and other files are stored in a list which gets referenced by programs that need the files -- the program code then doesn't need to be concerned with where these files actually are; it can just ask for the file and Windows will consult the list, find the file, and give the file to the program. So if that list gets screwed up, programs can no longer find the files even if the files haven't moved.

East West, at least on my machine, has an entry in this list that points to several versions of QTcore4, so we'll need to check if it's there on your machine. (I'm assuming you're on Windows 7.) In the start menu search, type environment and select "Edit the system environment variables." In the box that comes up, click "Environment Variables ..." in the lower right. In the box that comes up, select the "Path" variable and click "Edit ..." Copy the text string from the "Variable value" field and post it here.

For comparison, the string from my path variable is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\PROGRA~1\MATROX~1\System64;C:\PROGRA~1\MATROX~1\System32;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\ProgramData\East West\playgui;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\;C:\MinGW\bin\;C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\bin\;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\

Note the East West entry. I suspect that your system doesn't have this entry and needs to, though the reference may need to be slightly different on your machine since the files could possibly be installed in a different place.

EDIT: Probably the reason that putting the QT files in the FL Studio folder didn't work is that while putting a DLL in the folder of the program that needs it allows the program to find the DLL without consulting the path variable, the versions of the QT files that you used were probably not the specific versions that PLAY was looking for (which I expect are the ones found in the C:\ProgramData\East West\playgui folder). A search of my computer reveals a bunch of different QTcore DLLs in various locations that have the same name but are all different sizes. Speculation again, but the reason PLAY works in standalone mode but not with FL studio is probably that PLAY itself knows where the DLLs are without referencing the path variable since they're part of the program install, but calling PLAY from FL Studio probably causes FL Studio to call the DLLs rather than letting PLAY call them, and FL Studio needs to look at the path variable to find them. This is all suggested by the fact that putting the QT DLLs in the FL Studio folder almost worked -- it indicates that FL rather than PLAY is looking for the DLLs.

Edited by Moseph

Speculation again, but the reason PLAY works in standalone mode but not with FL studio is probably that PLAY itself knows where the DLLs are without referencing the path variable since they're part of the program install, but calling PLAY from FL Studio probably causes FL Studio to call the DLLs rather than letting PLAY call them, and FL Studio needs to look at the path variable to find them. This is all suggested by the fact that putting the QT DLLs in the FL Studio folder almost worked -- it indicates that FL rather than PLAY is looking for the DLLs.

Almost right. You're right about launching PLAY standalone. When running from within FL Studio though, PLAY is itself a DLL (all VSTs are DLLs on Windows; they have to support a specific set of methods that other DLLs would not so that the host can send them MIDI or audio and get MIDI or audio back and so on). Any request for a DLL made from a program OR THE DLLs IT CALLS (eg. PLAY) is resolved by searching the program's path first (even if the DLLs are in another folder, and even if that folder contains the DLLs in question; see this if you want to know more).

I bet Moseph's advice about setting the path will be all that you need to fix the DLL issue. I don't use FL Studio or PLAY though, so I have no idea about the right-channel-only audio problem.

I'm curious to know why you say you have frequent software problems. In my experience, things mainly go wrong because of a) sketchy programs that people install, like the registry cleaner, and B) people mucking around with things they don't understand. Yes, it's possible that software is faulty (though not to the extent you seem to be describing), it's possible you could've been hacked (though it's probably not that likely that a hacker would bother screwing up your files, if you were even hacked at all), and it's possible you could have/had a virus (though the Qt library probably isn't common enough to be a serious target for virus-writers, and wouldn't cripple your system the way that screwing up Windows system DLLs would do), so I'd suspect it's either programs you've installed or things you've done. Whether you do it now or wait until your problem's fixed, it might be a good idea to describe both the ways you use your computer (especially what software you install, if you ever change things in the registry, etc.) and some of the other problems you've had. I'm not trying to be a condescending prick here or say that this is your fault; what I am saying is that if you seem to have more problems than most people, figuring out why that is and what you can do to change things will make you much more productive. Besides, if you are doing something you shouldn't be, or are installing software you shouldn't, wouldn't you want to know so that you can stop doing so?

Well, right now I've pretty much completely uninstalled EWCC from my computer and will need to start over, so I'm going to try that and see how far I can get.

Right now, I'm largely concluding that CCleaner ate the .dlls and I thought that simply getting them from Google would fix it. I didn't know at the time that Qtcore4.dll was a widely used .dll that was still unique to the software running it. Having finally found stuff online about entry points, everyone seems to conclude that.

@Kanthos: I know what happened - CCleaner ate the files and I foolishly deleted the system restore points. Usually I've been able to just replace .dll files before so I let this one go thinking it was a simple fix and I got schooled big time. This kinda shit always seems to happen to me whether I'm careful or not and aside from just being bad at software in general, I can't figure out how that happens. As a result, I'm always weary to update software or install new things because there's like a 40% chance something will fuck up or an 80% chance it will be more complicated than it needs to be.

My best hope with this topic is that, once solved, others will be able to find solution once they encounter the same issue.

I didn't know at the time that Qtcore4.dll was a widely used .dll that was still unique to the software running it. Having finally found stuff online about entry points, everyone seems to conclude that.

Not exactly. DLLs are code packaged slightly differently than an executable; most of the time, they're generally designed to be used by multiple programs, though there are some other uses of DLLs (VST plugins are DLLs on Windows, for example, because EastWest and Spectrasonics and NI can't build software directly into Cubase or FL Studio). Like all programs, DLLs may need updates, either because the developer makes further changes or fixes bugs. They'll put out periodic updates to their set of DLLs, and a program can grab the whole set and make use of the new features (if there are any). DLLs aren't unique to the software using them; rather, the software has been built with a certain version of the DLLs, and it depends on the DLLs to have certain features.

@Kanthos: I know what happened - CCleaner ate the files and I foolishly deleted the system restore points. Usually I've been able to just replace .dll files before so I let this one go thinking it was a simple fix and I got schooled big time. This kinda shit always seems to happen to me whether I'm careful or not and aside from just being bad at software in general, I can't figure out how that happens. As a result, I'm always weary to update software or install new things because there's like a 40% chance something will fuck up or an 80% chance it will be more complicated than it needs to be.

My suggestion is that you reformat your computer and install the OS and drivers from scratch (if you know how), and then ONLY install programs you know to be safe and that you actually want (eg. FL Studio, your samples, your browser of choice). Don't ever touch the registry, DLLs, or the Windows or System folders unless you know exactly what you're doing and WHY you need to do so.

Don't try to be clever. If it's not a data file (MP3s, PDFs, FL Studio projects), don't touch it, don't move it, don't replace it. Same goes for system restore points. There's no reason to do any of that kind of stuff. The only exception I can think of are plugins, since some installers leave them in their own directory while others put them in something like C:\Program Files (x86)\VSTPlugins. If you're running out of space, uninstall some programs, get rid of some media files, get a larger hard drive (again, if you're comfortable with an OS install), or get a second hard drive or external drive. Don't try to save space cleaning up "unnecessary" system stuff or registry entries; you don't know for fure if they're actually unnecessary.

I wouldn't blame that one on fruity yet as you still haven't answered if you had play reinstalled - the qtcore4.dll belongs to the Qt framework - basically the tool chain used for programming the play engine

That the standalone version is running fine is saying NOTHING about the Vst plugin behavior. Have you tried loading it another daw - like reaper for testing purposes ? Does the error show up there too ?

My suggestion is that you reformat your computer and install the OS and drivers from scratch (if you know how), and then ONLY install programs you know to be safe and that you actually want (eg. FL Studio, your samples, your browser of choice).

That's a really tall order for me right now and that could set me back an entire week or more. I probably need to sometime this year, but I'm very much not prepared to restart my entire computer from scratch right now with work as it is. Literally everything else is working correctly and I don't think its worth it for me to junk the whole thing for this.

I don't mean to not listen to your advice, I just could not make something like that work right now.

That's a really tall order for me right now and that could set me back an entire week or more. I probably need to sometime this year, but I'm very much not prepared to restart my entire computer from scratch right now with work as it is. Literally everything else is working correctly and I don't think its worth it for me to junk the whole thing for this.

I don't mean to not listen to your advice, I just could not make something like that work right now.

Yeah, makes sense. A reformat is a good way to help prevent future problems but unless you have problems you simply can't fix now, it's not something you have to drop everything to do immediately.

CCleaner is one of the best pieces of freeware and is consistently included in "top/best/must-have freeware" lists on computer news/review websites.

Don't get a bad opinion of it because of irresponsible users. :banghead:

I've used CCleaner for a few years now and I've never had a registry or temp file issue. It's a great away to save space on your computer and an easy way to manage start-up programs.

It doesn't do anything demonic to your computer as long as you don't check all of the boxes that specifically pop up a warning (each one at a time) saying, more or less, "you probably shouldn't check this box". Only check those boxes if you know what you're doing.

Also, Meteo, where the heck were you storing your files that they could get eaten by CCleaner?

Edited by Neblix

Meteo, did you get this fixed yet? Did you have to reformat, or what?

I never heard of CCleaner before this thread, but suddenly I'm hearing about it all over the place. In the past three days I've met two people who had computer problems and they had this on their machines! Eegads.

I haven't had time to do it yet. I need to schedule a day with full concentration on my end to try it out. I think part of the problem is just PLAY's bizarre program system - it installs itself in like 4 different folders at least.

I probably should not need to run CCleaner again after this, since it was to clean up 3 years of use already, but if this works again, I'll definitely be mindful of it in the future.

I'll keep people posted on this - again not intending to be that self-important, but as an example for the next person who runs CCleaner with EWCC and wants to know what the hell to do.