OCR02780 - *YES* Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike & Alpha 'Raging Ranman'

Palpable

Alright, giving you the breakdown first:

0:00 - 0:30 Influenced by Rob Dougans Furious Angels with some wind and a light flute playing in the background

0:30 - 0:46 Introduced by Akuma himself, beat and funky bass comes in and plays for the duration of this section

0:46 - 1:02 Akuma yells, then more is added to the beat, now there's an organ loop playing in the background

slightly modified and the bass gets a little more colorful and ends with a "combo" fill all liberal for the most part

1:02 - 1:33 This section is where killing moon comes in. The bass is still liberal, but that lead instrument is what's

playing the main flute in the source tune, the strings are also playing the strings in the source. This section is stretched out

and broken up with some bass sections doing it's thing, compared with the source that plays at a much faster tempo and

shorter melody lengh-wise

1:33 - 1:41 This section gets into Akuma's Street Fighter Alpha theme and this part specificially is playing the part towards the end before it loops

1:41 - 3:00 This whole section is rather conservative with some variations to the melody and rhythms and this section actually was Sakura's theme

from SFA but I decided to take it out and extend this section. A little, breakdown section at the end before it goes into the next section

3:00 - 3:30 Back into killing moon, this section resembles the the source at 1:25, with slight variations, but conservative overall.

3:30 - End Repeat hook section and end song with Akuma speaking at the end

Comments:

Whooo! Had a lot of fun making this track, this is probably one of my personal favorites too. This track was birthed during the Street Fighter remix competition and I was pitted against Jewbei. To be honest, I was actually surprised that I lost, though I knew it could have went either way but maybe it was just my bias of hearing so much 4 on the floor lol. But I digress; I knew I wanted to make a mean, aggressive track for the Akuma theme and so I decided to look back on some of tefnek's tracks which was a big influence for this piece (gosh I miss that dude!) and just taking bits and pieces from other places and this is what emerged. Also, I decided to take out Sakuras part as I had some complaints about it being off key and too happy and so I added Akuma's theme from Street Fighter Alpha and extended this section. I didn't know what to do with it at first but in the end, I'm happy with it.

Anyways hope you guys enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...

Gave this one a couple listens. I will say at first I wasn't really digging the vocal samples of Akuma, but they grew on me after a few listens and I found them to be a fun addition to the track. I think your arrangement here is definitely personalized and you've got a lot of interpretation here. If anything, I do feel like the track is a lacking a bit of direction at times and feels a bit like it's in a holding pattern. Not a dealbreaker to me, but something to think about in future arrangements.

YES

Pretty solid groove on this, and I like the sounds chosen. The vocal samples were fine, but seemed a touch dry. Not a huge deal, since clarity is important. The variety is pretty good with sections, though I felt the beats got to be a bit autopilot at times. I think enough is going on otherwise to keep things interesting, and they are complex enough and switch patterns just enough for it to be acceptable. There are a few transitions that are pretty fun, like the kick leading up to the vocal sample, but the ending itself felt a bit like a cop out. The vocal sample and delay treatment made it sound somewhat planned, but it could have been stronger.

Overall I think it's a pretty grooving take on the theme.

Yes

Totally hearing the Rob Dougan influence on the intro. Once this kicks in, it gets into a really sweet groove with the rest of the track building tastefully on that foundation. Clearly, a lot of creativity went into this arrangement, and considering how quickly you had to put this together for the compo, this is a surprisingly polished, fleshed-out idea.

The voice clips weren't sitting right with me, personally, they don't gel perfectly with the soundscape and feel a little low-quality, but that's a minor issue. The track is super-solid overall, I'd say it's some of your best work to date :-)

YES