OCR02797 - *YES* Street Fighter 2 & Super Street Fighter 4 AE 'Fight for the Broken Spirit'

Palpable

Remixer Name: Gario

UseID: 22898

Games Arranged: Street Fighter II & IV

Name of Arrangement: Fight for the Broken Spirit

Individual Songs Arranged: Ryu's Theme (Street Fighter 2), Oni's Theme (Street Fighter IV)

Composers: Isao Abe, Yoko Shimomura (Street Fighter 2); Hideyuki Fukasawas (Street Fighter IV)

Sources: Ryu's Theme (

)

Oni's Theme (

)

Comments:

Hey there, guys! I kind of forgot to get around to submitting this track some time ago, don't really know how that happened.

Oh well, here it is - this was one of my tracks for the Street Fighter Competition that was hosted on here some time ago, and it features Ryu and Oni's theme. I had a lot of fun with this track experimenting with some new sounds ranging from my new drum sounds (got em' from freesound.org) to the excessive distortion on most of my synths. Not much else that I can think about for this track - it's a high energy track with some juicy drums and a balance between gritty and clean synths to keep the listeners on their toes. Enjoy!

Edited by djpretzel

• 4 weeks later...

Ah, I remember this from the World Warrior compo. The sound design was cool, though sometimes I felt the interplay among the various synth lines was muddy (e.g. 1:51-2:24, 3:21-3:43), and the source tunes were unintentionally marginalized, making the arrangement seem busy yet unfocused. Particularly with Oni's theme though, there were moments where you had two distinct parts of it going on at once, yet they'd both still seem pretty downplayed. It's not a huge problem in the big picture, and I could hear all the source material in play for both themes.

Dynamically, there's subtle stuff going on, but definitely nothing dramatic as far as some sort of lengthy dropoff and rebuilding (which is a fine approach, I'm just noting it). Rather, there's several textural variations of instruments weaving in and out to keep things fresh while everything stays upbeat.

If Capcom ever wanted to add a serious cyber-Akuma character into the Street Fighter series (i.e. not the Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter one), a lot of the ideas would serve as a great foundation. Great energy, and solid meshing of these two themes, Greg, keep 'em coming! :-)

YES

Besides the opening lead synth feeling a little bit brittle to me, I was pretty hype about this mix. The energy is great, and the shifts between the filtered riffs was FUN and COOL. The meshing of the character themes was solid, and the only real wish I have for the song is more beater in the kick, so it cuts more.

I AM HYPE

YES

Yeah, definitely good energy here and cool ideas.

I've been listening to this track on and off the past week or so, and there's one thing that's continued to bother me throughout. There seems to be a gap between the end of one measure and the following measure after each 8 beat phrase. The gap sometimes doesn't seem to be present at all, but sometimes it seems to be pretty obvious to me - almost like the loops utilized don't quite match the tempo of the track and so there's a missing gap. I can't tell if this is an intentional effect or not, because there is some glitching in the beats to break things up, but I get the feeling it's not.

Some examples where it's more obvious, at least to my ears: :36 - :41, 1:04 - 1:24 (gets progressively worse here), 2:50 - 3:10, 3:32 - 3:43 (coincides with glitching effect)

I'd like to hold off rendering judgement until someone else can comment on what I'm hearing.

Yeah, definitely good energy here and cool ideas.

I've been listening to this track on and off the past week or so, and there's one thing that's continued to bother me throughout. There seems to be a gap between the end of one measure and the following measure after each 8 beat phrase. The gap sometimes doesn't seem to be present at all, but sometimes it seems to be pretty obvious to me - almost like the loops utilized don't quite match the tempo of the track and so there's a missing gap. I can't tell if this is an intentional effect or not, because there is some glitching in the beats to break things up, but I get the feeling it's not.

Some examples where it's more obvious, at least to my ears: :36 - :41, 1:04 - 1:24 (gets progressively worse here), 2:50 - 3:10, 3:32 - 3:43 (coincides with glitching effect)

I'd like to hold off rendering judgement until someone else can comment on what I'm hearing.

Good catch; you're definitely right about hearing those brief "skips." If I had to take a guess, I'd say intentional alongside the other glitching effect, but I wouldn't bet my life on it. :lol: I could ALSO see it being unintentional, but it honestly didn't make any difference to me. Still a solid YES myself.

In the same boat as Larry. Feel free to check with Greg, but the skips sound intentional to me, or at the least, good. :-P. There's some very intentional stops later on, so I'm inclined to think that it's all done on purpose.

Really not much to dislike here. Great takes on the themes, woven together in a coherent and creative way. An excellent job by Greg making those synths squeal and squirm, loved it.

YES

• 3 months later...