Why do you listen to game music? - Videogame Music Research Survey

Your_Average_Foe

i'm acsking this out of genuine curiosity, where is there any material for you to do research on such a thing? outside of a surveymonkey survey. i'm not seeing where anyone would find this useful information, or how it could be made into a PhD of all things

Hey, Derrit!

There's tons of academic articles, PhD theses, dissertations, and books on videogames. There's not much on game music itself, sadly. That's where I come in. I've already done my research and setup the theory, the survey is to corroborate it.

And thanks for your support, guys!

I have a TON of reasons for listening to video game related music. Here are the top 3...

*For various pictures and other situations, it can set the mood perfectly fine, but with the added advantage of familiarity, after over a decade of playing video games.

*I can only approve of 2% of all Dubstep tracks (or a 1 out of 50 ratio). Nearly all those 2% were made by OverClocked ReMix.

*After the rise of dubstep and autotune in circa 2007, the quality of commercial music bottomed out at an all-time low. Just when I think it can't get any worse, Justin Bieber made some new garish beats that, for lack of a better word, I just call "Biebercussion". It's recently occurred to me that other "artists" might be trying to rip off Bieber's signature beats since circa 2010. Commercial music has devolved into a blatant cash-grab. Apart from independent musicians, video game music is one of the few regions that still get composed with effort these days.

i'm acsking this out of genuine curiosity, where is there any material for you to do research on such a thing? outside of a surveymonkey survey. i'm not seeing where anyone would find this useful information, or how it could be made into a PhD of all things

Drexel's Music Tech Lab has a research project on Music-driven video games; I don't think it's at all a rare topic.

Survey taken, hope it helps. Game music composition is a dream and goal for me.

Video Game Music to me is so much better than what's out now. I mean you have mainstream rock, hip-hop, and whatever you wanna call that crap that plays occasionally on the radio. I've lost my love for it over the years, and I've been listening more and more to video game music. Not even for the fact that I want to become a composer, but more so because I appreciate the way it makes me feel. The music is more real.

Video Game Music to me is so much better than what's out now. I mean you have mainstream rock, hip-hop, and whatever you wanna call that crap that plays occasionally on the radio. I've lost my love for it over the years, and I've been listening more and more to video game music. Not even for the fact that I want to become a composer, but more so because I appreciate the way it makes me feel. The music is more real.

Video game music isn't "more real" than any other kind of music. Saying that is just as bad as those folks who write-off VGM because it's from video games, saying things like "it's not real music" or "it's not legitimate."

There is also a lot of music from video games that is totally boring, formulaic, and forgettable.

I love VGM, but there is literally SO MUCH music out there that is brilliant and worth listening to that isn't VGM. All you have to do is look around for 5 minutes on the internet and you will find some really amazing stuff.