Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Serenade of Water (Ambient/IDM)

Emunator

Remix: https://soundcloud.com/emunator/serenade-of-water-wip

Source:

Just a little sketch I came up with to test out some IDM techniques... Is this worth seeing through to completion or is the whole thing a little too out there/unnecessary? Source doesn't come in til after the intro but I've got ideas on how to work it into other parts of the song, too.

Would love any opinions on this one. Thanks!

In addition to what Virgil said, I believe the instruments you used also remind me heavily of the Zora's Domain music, which is another tie-in to the theme of the track. I'd be interested in hearing this a little more fleshed out personally.

Something I wasn't a fan of was the section around 0:49, I know this is IDM and so unusual beat-progression is bound to appear, but I feel like it throws the flow of the track into double-time. It's your call, because that could be a design choice.

Otherwise, this sounds great and especially for a track from OoT that doesn't get as much love!

The intro reminds me of Secret of Mana, maybe there's a similar melody in that OST.

I think it sounds pretty good so far, though I have no idea how you plan to continue the song. The source is pretty short...

I also agree with Kanohi. I have no idea what IDM is but some of those drum patterns feel very unfitting considering how "calm" the rest of the song sounds. Also, I feel the bass could be played an octave lower, it sounds a bit empty there.

Thanks for the honest feedback everyone :-) So far, I've gone and revamped the mixing/samples on the percussion so the snare/hats are more dominant and have wider stereo separation.

However, I've considered switching the percussion to a half-time trip-hop pattern instead, and maybe channel more of a Robotaki/Radiowar vibe instead. I think that might be a bit classier. I'll post an update when I have a chance to touch on this more and draft up an alternate version.

All the comments/listens are greatly appreciated :-D

Oh gosh Wes... I didn't realize how cool your interpretation of this was until I just refreshed myself on the source... WOW that's a very cool adaptation of that melody!!! And I do love the beat. And the gating. You should definitely keep going on this. It does need some changeups now. You could change chord structure and add the next part of the source and some original stuff, slow it down, speed it back up, then back to this part. Really great so far! :)

Oh gosh Wes... I didn't realize how cool your interpretation of this was until I just refreshed myself on the source... WOW that's a very cool adaptation of that melody!!! And I do love the beat. And the gating. You should definitely keep going on this. It does need some changeups now. You could change chord structure and add the next part of the source and some original stuff, slow it down, speed it back up, then back to this part. Really great so far! :)

This is definitely on my list of things to do. I'd love to work with you on this one to help add some variations later on down the road once I get a better handle of the style I want to use. I know I need to spice up the lead melody too and get more layers in there, so it's not just straight notes played on the glass vibraphone. I think layering in some choir/vocals would help give the melody more depth. Lots to be done here!

And Argle, yeah, this entire song is made with Omnisphere patches, except for the piano (which is Alicia's Keys) and the drums, which are all FL Studio default samples. Good ear!