*NO* Chrono Trigger 'Angel's Wings' *RESUB*

djpretzel

email sub file Angel's Wings.mp3

LT Edit - Original Decision: http://www.ocremix.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=68611

Thanks for the advice guys~

-ReMastered/Mixed

-Electric Guitar added

Remixer: DJ Crono

Song Name: Angel's Wings

Game: Chrono Trigger

Theme: Zeal Theme/Chrono Curcuits

LYRICS:

"Angel's Wings"

Copyright 2005 Jovette Rivera

I know by now, that somewhere among the sea, I'll find my way, and one day I will be free, I'll bide my time, until it's all so clear to me, You stole my angel's wings, Nagai yoru ni mou anata wa mienai...

CHORUS

Yume no naka de hirogaru sekai

Yugami tsuzukeru toki

Ude no naka de hirogaru sekai

Kimi dake wo mitta

RAP

If we could see, we could only believe, what was to never deceive, but here we are in brief moment- If we could hear, we would never know fear, some choose to listen but still, you got to look in the mirror, own it- I see red, I see blue, but the same silver lining gradually takes over when the morning begin I'll be the next chapter You gotta believe you'll be the one to make it after.

Sayonara sae ienai mama ni

Kimi no nukumori wo sagashite iru....

Do You Yahoo!?

Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around http://mail.yahoo.com

http://snesmusic.org/spcsets/ct.rsn - "Corridors of Time" (ct-3-04.spc)

Nice job adding the electric guitar. The production improvement on here has definitely been significant. I don't have a huge problem with this passing ultimately, but IMO the sound balance really needs to be addressed here. The overall volume is generally too quiet; I had to boost this +6db in Winamp to get more satisfying levels. Also, the snappy beats were too loud vs. everything else, but that's a more minor/subjective complaint that I'm not docking points for.

More importantly, the lyrics are mushing into the instrumentation and need to be placed more in the foreground. To me, it's a problem for most of the track, but really stick out in areas like the chorus at 1:27-1:55. Sounds like the vocals could better occupy their own space by EQing them higher. Right now the vocals sound a bit obscured/indistinct and lo-fi.

In any case, I think everything still sounds great on the arrangement front, but just needs some last refinement to correct any imbalances that are dragging it down. I might be the sticker here, so good luck with the rest of the vote Jovette, and I'm glad to see you actually reading the prior decision, as you've had a lot of good stuff that I think could make it if you ever decided to revisit it. Much success to you with Avex Trax, by the way.

NO (refine/easy resubmit)

Unfortunately, Larry is right about the volume. Before you had it too loud, now it's too soft! I would put a limiter on the whole thing, a free DB meter plugin and gently increase the overall volume so the maximum is -3 or -4db (above 0db is clipping).

I still love this mix a LOT! Really brilliant arrangement, the soundscape is great, and the vocals are well-done. I want to emphasize that this production is WAY better than your first submission. Great job. You could probably change the mixing a bit more by reducing the volume of all the other stuff going on in the main chorus and increasing the vocals a bit, but honestly, it's not that big of a deal.

Even in it's current form I would say this should pass. If you want, you can send me a WAV version of this track and I can do some quick mixing+mastering for you, if you don't want to go through the submission process again. Of course, this won't address relative volume levels between parts.. but that's not a big deal to me to begin with.

YES

• 4 weeks later...

DJ Crono pm'd me

I have been looking over my files recentely, and when I was listening to the song I submitted to OCREMIX, Angel's Wings, I noticed that there was NO electric guitar, but in my submitted discription I say I have electric guitars. I checked my cubase files and noticed that I only mixed down an Instrumental version of the new version, and gave you the old version twice. I'm now mixing down the actual complete remastered version now. I need to exchange the song that is in the "Songs to be Judged" query, for this new file. The song that you have now is not complete, this one however is. I'm sorry for the inconvienience, but I know if you hear the one you have now, you'll see there's not much different than the last rejected submission. Can I email it to you or DJP, please let me know. Thanks.

~DJ Crono "Jovette Rivera"

yikes...the guitars dont sound remotely realistic, neither the sample, nor the part played.

So really..this song is quite monotonous. The same rhythmic themes are present throughout the whole song. This is true of the drumloop, which barely changes over five minutes. Honestly, how many dotted-quarter notes can we be expected to take? It's also true of the harmony instruments. this makes the track incredibly tedious. Harmonically, the verse consists of power chords a half step away. Not just two power chords, but two power chords played for whole notes. BORING! There are entirely too many melodramatic whole notes in the guitar part. The chorus sections add some dynamic variation, but all the rhythms are exactly the same.

Production problems i find secondary. The vocals arent bad at all, though they could be more present.

NO

this track is rhythmically tedious. please make the harmony parts more sophisticated,or barring that, less monotonous. Same of the drums.

once this problem is fixed, then you can fix the "acoustic guitar" part, then we'll worry about any other problems.

• 4 weeks later...

This sounds so empty and poorly balanced. It started off all right. But the drums are too far up front, the rest is pushed into the back, mostly the guitar. The singing in this mix and the way it's mixed in sends chills down my spine, when the song gets into it, it's really good.

You need to fix up the production with this one. Bring the lyrics up to listenable level, but not so they're overbearing. It takes a bit of tweaking and sometimes a second ear to make sure. Get rid of the fake guitar and record it properly.

Resubmit this one definately, run it by a few of the judges before resubbing if you're unsure. It's basically just the levels and that guitar that really needs fixing up. Nice effort.

NO

The rapping reminds me of SOUL'd OUT or Orange Range's spoken word stuff. Nice.

I thought the exact same thing.

I think if you tweaked the production of the various elements a bit to clean up the mixing and mastering and made your vocals more upfront, it should pass. This has too much possibilities to give up on. It is probably a lot to ask, but please consider one final resubmission DJCrono.