Pokémon X/Y and OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire (Gen6) (3DS)

Mirby

I'm not really sure a fairy type "doesn't fit" thematically we have dragon, bug, and ghost too. I feel pretty neutral on the possibility of a fairy type though, it seems like it'd be a pointless addition to the game but I don't think it'd really hurt anything either. I mean depending on the definition, all pokemon can be considered fae creatures, but I suppose if it is a real typing they're going more for things that are "magical" but not of a psychic, ghost, or elemental in nature.

It just bugs me, that's all.

Dragon works because come on, dragons. Fabled mythical creatures that appear in legends around the world. Yeah, I suppose this applies to fairies as well, but dragons are generally strong powerful creatures, a trait that applies to the type as well. Fairies would be, what? Fast, mobile, but generally weak because of their small size? Sounds like Bug-type to me.

Speaking of which, Bug type is there because Satoshi Tajiri liked hunting bugs, if memory serves.

And ghosts? Well, if a lot of RPGs have undead-type enemies, Ghost fills that role for Pokemon.

I just don't see fairy working too well, that's all. and that's just my opinion.

I'm not really sure a fairy type "doesn't fit" thematically we have dragon, bug, and ghost too. I feel pretty neutral on the possibility of a fairy type though, it seems like it'd be a pointless addition to the game but I don't think it'd really hurt anything either. I mean depending on the definition, all pokemon can be considered fae creatures, but I suppose if it is a real typing they're going more for things that are "magical" but not of a psychic, ghost, or elemental in nature.

yeah the thing about dragons bugs and ghosts is that they have natural, sensical strengths and weaknesses. dragons kick ass, so only other dragons can touch them. bugs get burnt (by magnifying glasses) but make it hard to focus (so they're strong against fighting). ghosts are nebulous so normal attacks don't work, but darkness drowns them out.

what would be good or weak against fairies? who knows. there's literally nothing that pops to mind for "fairy" archetypes other than they're small, magical, have wings, and don't fight. everything except that last one is already covered.

what would be good or weak against fairies? who knows. there's literally nothing that pops to mind for "fairy" archetypes other than they're small, magical, have wings, and don't fight. everything except that last one is already covered.

Fairy being weak to Steel makes tons of sense to me. After all, fae creatures are weakened in the presence of cold iron, right?

Well I DID say it seems like a pointless addition to the game (especially at face value cause I don't know anything about fairies in folklore). I could see it being a modifier type like flying seeing as how "fairy" encompasses a pretty broad chunk of mythological creatures.

An all encompassing weakness is pretty easy though, fairies are typically weak to iron in some way or another whether it removes their powers, or outright kills them. As far as what they'd be strong against I couldn't tell you, since most stories have fairies simply being mischief makers or pulling one over on humans and stealing their babies, so I suppose they could be strong against normal types and also weak to psychics since psychic could probably overcome a fairies inherent cleverness. But now I'm just musing about it and I don't much feel like doing that. Although it's true, I disagree that fairy can't fit thematically because while I don't know much of anything about them I do know that there is a huge variety to them beyond "small, magical, have wings, and don't fight" that's a pretty narrow definition to what a fairy actually is.

Either way I'm going to wait and see, as skeptical as I am of it, and as pointless of a typing as it seems to me on the initial thought, gamefreak is pretty good at digging up obscure things and putting them into their games. With the new region being set in a European equivalent it wouldn't surprise me if they did put in fairy type and then pull from all the folk lore surrounding them from Europe.

yeah the thing about dragons bugs and ghosts is that they have natural, sensical strengths and weaknesses.

like how dragons really really hate the cold or how dark types hate bugs because they're god's chosen people

• 3 weeks later...

Some new Pokémon from the Developers Event today, just after the Nintendo Direct.

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/7/71/E3_Trailer_Pok%C3%A9mon_1.png

Haunter versus some new bird type

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/4/41/E3_Trailer_Pok%C3%A9mon_2.png

A... seahorse? No idea, might be a bad angle or something.

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/12/E3_Trailer_Pok%C3%A9mon_3.png

Cool looking bug thing.