Pokémon X/Y and OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire (Gen6) (3DS)

Mirby

Picked up our copy of X & Y today! So far everything is really cool.. but this is another game that kinda is better in 2D than 3D. Most parts aren't even 3D enabled, and when I leave the 3D turned on for the parts that are the frame rate like drops well below 20 fps and things start looking like a slideshow. Doesn't seem very optimized for it, which is shocking considering this is... Nintendo :/ So I'm just leaving the 3D off (as usual) for a smoother framerate. Ah well, fun game so far either way, tons of crap to do and I just barely started. Also surprised about all the connectivity options added to the game, internet and all. Game seems PACKED with content, and room for more!

Edited by Crowbar Man

so how big are the sales for this thing so far

I would think that this would be Nintendo's equivalent to GTA V

don't kill me and start screaming at how stupid I am if I'm entirely wrong

that's just how I look at it

I don't actually know much about Pokemon; that's not one of those series I ever paid attention to

so how big are the sales for this thing so far

I would think that this would be Nintendo's equivalent to GTA V

don't kill me and start screaming at how stupid I am if I'm entirely wrong

that's just how I look at it

I don't actually know much about Pokemon; that's not one of those series I ever paid attention to

Well, until there are some official number released by someone, we don't know.

But if it helps, X and Y were the fastest and highest pre-ordered game in Japan, ever. Something like 5 million pre-orders within 12 hours or something.

While I think it would be hilarious for XY to beat all those records that GTA V made, just weeks later, I doubt that will be the case. This game will have strong sales for a while, of course, so that's nice.

Game-related: I managed to get a female Froakie on my tenth try, so I can breed Eggs out for anyone that didn't choose it on their game.

And holy shit, once I turned on that PSS thing, I got like a hundred random names and faces popping up on the bottom screen. I had to turn wireless off just so I could pay attention to the game.

3DS FC in sig.

PS3: 79 Million units

360: 78 Million units

3DS: 35 Million units

~160 million possible buyers vs 35 Million possible buyers

GTA5: ~20 Million units sold and climbing

It is an uphill battle to match GTA5 numbers, but Pokemon has a gigantic pull that reaches a larger audience, so anything is possible. We'll see once the sales figures start pouring in I guess

Edited by Crowbar Man

I noticed that, in pretty much every route/region, there are rare encounters, and also pokemons harder to catch. Some may only need to be lowered to critical hp, some may need to be put to sleep or paralyzed, and you may even require to use a stronger pokeball on top of the status effect.

For example, Absol is available on Route 8 outside the cave, but shows probably once every 8-10 minutes. I had to bring it to very low, put it to sleep and then use a great ball. I couldn't go without either the status or ball, she'd just pop right out of it. Same with Doduo on route 7.

I really like this change :)

I noticed that, in pretty much every route/region, there are rare encounters, and also pokemons harder to catch. Some may only need to be lowered to critical hp, some may need to be put to sleep or paralyzed, and you may even require to use a stronger pokeball on top of the status effect.

For example, Absol is available on Route 8 outside the cave, but shows probably once every 8-10 minutes. I had to bring it to very low, put it to sleep and then use a great ball. I couldn't go without either the status or ball, she'd just pop right out of it. Same with Doduo on route 7.

I really like this change :)

I'm not sure about if that is a major mechanics change - I think what they tried to do is mix Pokemon with low catch rates into earlier routes to give a bigger sense of difficulty. I use the Absol thing and Snorlax on Route 7 (before the SECOND gym) as examples.

It should be reminded that GTA V cost ~$260 million to make and was released across two platforms (combined install base of around 160 million people), while Pokémon XY released on a single platform (~35 million install base).

Not to mention releasing for a 2 year old handheld console compared to 7 year old home console.

It's difficult to give an arbitrary value for success, since quantity will almost exclusively favor home console releases, also the time since it's release is different.

I'm certain someone out there has an algorithm based on decades of game sales data to solve this problem.

How much did it cost to make Pokemon X/Y?

Digging up what little I could, it seems Ruby and Sapphire had a US advertising campaign of $7 million. If they spent as much as that on the game, they still would have made about 7 times that back within the first week of sales in Japan alone.

Any other games in the series? Can't find any info on development cost. Nintendo doesn't seem to like posting that kind of info, which I think is a real shame, because in these modern mentality of "big budget = big success", it would show them otherwise.

After all, how many games have been considered commercial failures, simply because they didn't sell that extra half million copies to break even? How many times have we heard of a sequel being cancelled because the first part wasn't worth the cost of making it, and therefore, a sequel would never be cost effective?

Too many times, I think.

Not mine.

The issue in question is only known to affect some games. It depends upon multiple factors. Basically, just don't save in the area highlighted below:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/ekjj/info/index.html

The solution? According to reddit, simply try to load the game over and over until it works, and then proceed to save again in another location.