[3DS] Fire Emblem: Awakening - Feb 4th! Demo on Jan 14!

ocre

Seriously, I can't be the only one who has become intimate friends with the soft reset command on the 3DS thanks to this game. I love Fire Emblem, but damn does it make me feel stupid at times. :<

When the game told me that normal mode was for series beginners, I was like "Well, clearly since I've played some of the others, hard mode can't be too bad."

This is me now, trying to find non-story battles that even look winnable: :banghead:

When the game told me that normal mode was for series beginners, I was like "Well, clearly since I've played some of the others, hard mode can't be too bad."

This is me now, trying to find non-story battles that even look winnable: :banghead:

Honestly that idea in Fire Emblem is really rather amazing, though. This was one of the original games with the permadeath idea and it honestly was a cool idea. Frustrating often, but really gets the player thinking.

The whole idea of whatever you decide to do is permanent just like reality is actually really cool. Again, really annoying and aggravating at times, but still really cool.

All that being said however, I still love the hell out of the game, and am constantly trying out ways to improve my strategies each stage playthrough. This is a good thing, since the precarious position of the Data Wipe option right next to the Languages option has caused me to lose my data twice already... Seems like every in-game move I make isn't the only thing I need to scrutinize heavily...

At any rate, I want to avoid too many spoilers by asking, but who are your favorite characters so far gang? My favorite just due to personal background is probably Donnel, and he's quickly becoming the strongest member of my team and setting up to get hitched with a certain royal maiden.

Sully by far is my favourite. But there's also this late-game character named Henry, who is just so hilarious. Imagine a completely innocent, happy-go-lucky version of Kefka. That's Henry.

Henry is crazy funny.

Hearing about his background in his supports with Olivia was sad, though. :(

My favorite personality-wise so far is Anna, though. Shame she doesn't get much in the ways of Support.

Honestly though, the game is pretty easy to break; even on hard/classic. I've essentially turned Donny into my second strongest unit next to Chrom. As I advancing everyone's classes, I'm finding that if I use a simple turtle strategy; using the first turn to position my tanks in enemy danger zones(cue Kenny Loggins), swarming them, then weeding out the rest as they approach, makes the game that much easier.

The pairing systems add a good layer to that strategy, as I'll usually back up a tank with a mage or an archer, and have those characters move first on each time. I'm trying to find quicker methods though, as this one usually takes more turns. Keeps me alive though.

I'm a big fan of Donny just because of his back story and reasons for joining The Shepards.

Just beat this.

Holy shit that was a fantastic game. Met and exceeded all my expectations.

I think IGN gave it a rating of 9.6 of 10.

Also, after playing about 20 minutes of the game, I noticed I actually enjoyed reading the dialogue.

Whoever did the dialogue has at least some slight sense of humor that isn't ridiculously embarrassing. I sorta enjoyed it.

Edited by Garrett Williamson

Brian Gray, the guy who localized TWEWY is to thank (at least in part) for that, actually. :D

Yeah it's like so many other games I just sit there and try pressing random buttons to skip stuff I don't want to read. And that's normally the whole game.

But I didn't skip any of the stuff I read. What was it, that I sorta found enjoyable...

"Would you like to tell me your name?"

"Nah"

"Oh, I don't mean to offend you or--"

"No. It's Nah. N-A-H. Nah. Ugh. This happens every time."

Something like that. I don't know how that is funny, but I sorta smiled reading that. This was my favorite, though.

"Why should I give you a strand of ____'s hair?"

"Hee hee".

I seriously think I laughed when I read Tharja say "hee hee". I sat there for about a minute trying to make sure that's actually what it said. A medieval game and one of the characters says "hee hee". Brilliant. Of course, it's a medieval-themed game, but obviously the dialogue shows nearly no sign of Old English anywhere in a normal conversation.

Damnit guys, Australia still hasn't got it, so I only just know what you people are on about. Got it preordered, but I think it comes out early April -_-

I CAN'T WAIT THAT LONG!

Yeah it comes in April for ya.

It came in April of last year to Japan, so it'll be a whole year since it was originally released by the time you get it.

Heheh. I love how they do that. Makes me feel like they are doing it just to piss people off. There's probably actual reasons for why they do that (like taking more time translating it or something), but part of me feels they're just like "let's release it where we made it and then make America wait almost a whole year and Europe and Australia wait for it a whole year just for fun to show how awesome Japan is".

Stupid theory.

Yeah it comes in April for ya.

It came in April of last year to Japan, so it'll be a whole year since it was originally released by the time you get it.

Heheh. I love how they do that. Makes me feel like they are doing it just to piss people off. There's probably actual reasons for why they do that (like taking more time translating it or something), but part of me feels they're just like "let's release it where we made it and then make America wait almost a whole year and Europe and Australia wait for it a whole year just for fun to show how awesome Japan is".

Stupid theory.

Agreed, which is why I'm astonished at the sudden decision for Pokemon X and Y to be released world-wide on the same day. However, that's beside the point.

To those of you who have the game, which characters did you pair up/which character was your avatar paired with? I'm interested, probably because from reading about the different characters, I'm considering that Dark Mage chick.

She's rather creepy, but she's worth it.

It's a little bit disconcerting when I pair up Tharja and Anthony(my avatar), only to see one of my own DAUGHTERS in that get up! It's actually kind of funny though how those girls are pretty much what I'd imagine my own daughters to be like: One a somewhat eccentric prankster and the other an overly meek, slightly "unbalanced" guinea pig.

And I've pretty much broken the game at this point with my overpowered bruiser of a Donnel. I can pretty much just let him take the brunt of about a dozen soldiers at once and not feel a damn thing. Pretty funny, but still cheesy.

Right now I'm at Cha. 19, but I'm having fun turning my entire army into one giant soap opera with girls going crazy for one dude or the next, and pitting sisters against eachother. Makin' babies!

Wait, so almost everyone's going for Tharja on their first run? Is that because she's a stalkerish kind of lover for the avatar? Nope, not going to change my mind, I want to see the Dark Mage pairing in action myself.

On a side note, all of my characters that can become mercenaries WILL. Mostly due Armorthrift. I want all of my magic weapons to last.

Wait, so almost everyone's going for Tharja on their first run? Is that because she's a stalkerish kind of lover for the avatar? Nope, not going to change my mind, I want to see the Dark Mage pairing in action myself.

On a side note, all of my characters that can become mercenaries WILL. Mostly due Armorthrift. I want all of my magic weapons to last.

Most dudes are pairing up with her for obvious reasons.

Alright everybody, I finally got my preordered copy yesterday, FINALLY, and I actually had a question about the support conversations - Is there a maximum limit to how many support convo's you can have? I have played previous fire emblems where that was the case, so I am trying to hold back until I get a wider span of characters (only on chapter 5). Do I have to worry about that? I figure that you can only S rank with one person, but is there a limit to how many other supports you can have with various other characters excepting the S rank?