Judgestreaming

Palpable

Since judging for OCR can sometimes take motivation, and some people are curious about the judging process, I figured I can kill two birds by livestreaming my judging. Most likely it would be me playing the songs over the stream, adding my comments verbally and typing out my vote too. Hopefully I can rope other judges in too, if we can figure out the logistics. Might throw in some real time WIP feedback if someone on the stream wants comments on their WIP. And obviously I'd want people to be able to ask questions and chat (via typing).

So basically I've got two things to ask y'all:

a) Is this something you would be interested in seeing? Trying to gauge interest here.

B) The setup would ideally be me playing a song at high enough quality that listeners can hear it as I would, but with the ability for me and other judges to talk over it. If anyone has experience/tips for setting all that up, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

If it doesn't distract from the process, and you're still able to do the adequate research to make sure the song is thoroughly covered, then I don't see why it would be a problem. Actually having video of you doing it may hold you to a higher standard, it'll keep you on the ball and you won't be able to cut any corners or people will see. :twisted:

This would be over skype and on ustream / twitch etc?

Why do you need motivation for judging though? Remixers appreciate what you do and you get to hear all of this amazing music before anyone else, isn't that enough? :-o

Since judging for OCR can sometimes take motivation, and some people are curious about the judging process, I figured I can kill two birds by livestreaming my judging. Most likely it would be me playing the songs over the stream, adding my comments verbally and typing out my vote too. Hopefully I can rope other judges in too, if we can figure out the logistics. Might throw in some real time WIP feedback if someone on the stream wants comments on their WIP. And obviously I'd want people to be able to ask questions and chat (via typing).

So basically I've got two things to ask y'all:

a) Is this something you would be interested in seeing? Trying to gauge interest here.

B) The setup would ideally be me playing a song at high enough quality that listeners can hear it as I would, but with the ability for me and other judges to talk over it. If anyone has experience/tips for setting all that up, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

I'd be interesting in seeing a livestream of that, for sure. Maybe livestreaming a Google hangout session of the judges would be a route to look into? (Although I don't know if the sound quality on G+ hangouts is high enough for the songs - the only ones I've ever watched are the GeekandSundry ones, which are all talking.)

EDIT: Btw, the G+ hangout is really just if you do get a couple of the other judges to do it with you - would make it easier for the viewers/listeners who aren't as familiar with the different judges' voices to be able to tell who's talking.

It sounds like an interesting thing to do, and I'd enjoy hearing what the judges go through. Maybe instead of worrying about sound quality during the streaming, if the submitting artist said it was fine to release it publicly, give listeners access to the submission via irc or something a bit beforehand. I think the listeners who took the extra step to download earlier would be more able to understand what you're talking about during the judging. Some level of quality still would be nice. You might check with someone like Overcoat, KyleJCrb or an OCAD host, see how they have things set up. One of them probably will be in this topic soon enough, anyway.

Anyways, I hope this works out well. if you could get this going maybe weekly to monthly, that would probably be good. It doesn't have to happen too often; it might suck the life of it out of you otherwise.

I think you should be able to use Winamp with SHOUTcast to stream in whatever bitrate you desire. Though I see mp3 costs $5? Will have to ask D-Lux if that's what he used for his station.

Back when Internet radio was wild & unregulated, I had a totally free setup, but the software is all deprecated & I can't find equivalent replacements now.