FF X-2 Guitar Remix

AngelCityOutlaw

A friend of mine got me new, un-opened copies of FF X and X-2 last month and I've been enjoying the shit out of these games and their soundtracks immensely.

Source:

Work In Progress 2: https://soundcloud.com/angelcityoutlaw/ffx-2-give-ya-somethin-hot

I'm trying to make this a more technical guitar recording than any I've done in the past, since I've gotten comfortable with recording stuff now. I have loads of ideas, melodies and sections I think I can add to it. In short, I think I'm actually going to finish this. Need real bass guitar though.

It demands it.

So yeah, any thoughts at all on how she's comin' along so far would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. What the hell is the source tune actually called? I've saw it listed under 3 different titles online.

WIP 2 Uploaded.

There is now a section where a full guitar solo will go. I have added some more guitar lead licks and stuff. On the second repeat of the koto part I'm going to use my friend's hardware synth tomorrow to play a variation on the main theme. That synth has a sound I want to use.

In fact, I hope to replace the koto-ish thing with something better entirely.

Tell me what ya think so far.

All right:

I'm not really sure that my source choosing skills are great, because simpler tunes like this just wind up sounding like a medley between the source tune and "some original shit this guy came up with". I've been messing with it the past couple days and I'm not sure if I should just leave it alone, wrap it up and put it on Youtube....

or if I should continue trying to turn it into OCR worthy stuff. Because it seems to get worse as I expand it.

I have like 250 views and not one response, so if I'm going to get one, make it an answer to this question.

You always pick cool sources! This one has a lot of solo stuff that makes remixing a bit harder though, but the progressions are so cool.

Your WIP is slightly short so it's hard to say if the track has future, but it seems pretty nice to me. Doesn't feel medley-ish at all. You keep the feeling of the source pretty much intact while adding some cool guitar licks and stuff.

Despite how short it is right now, I think you can make a nice song out of it. You could add some jazzy solos and maybe a calmer chill-piano section, stuff like that. It has potential!

This would work well if you kept it going.

The biggest problem with it so far is that it kind of keeps going with no B section to contrast it to. 0:45 comes close but it's not nearly as developed as it should be. Clear out a huge chunk of space in your DAW and give yourself some room to completely reinterpret the source. It's much more obvious to the creator but without the source nearby it would be tough to tell which parts were written by you and which were from the source. Really, take it far out there. Really far, if it's too far then you can work your way back in.

Another thing I shouldn't even be talking about is the guitar tone. It's not jiving that well with the rest of the instruments which all sound great but the guitar sounds like it's apart from the mix and not playing with it. If I knew how to make it sound right I would gladly tell you but this is an area that i am still working on myself.

So to answer your question, keep it going to make it OCR worthy, which is always a great goal to have when working on any mix, just make sure to put care into its proper development. Come up with variations, A melodies B melodies and the like and you'll have a great mix in no time!

You always pick cool sources! This one has a lot of solo stuff that makes remixing a bit harder though, but the progressions are so cool.

Your WIP is slightly short so it's hard to say if the track has future, but it seems pretty nice to me. Doesn't feel medley-ish at all. You keep the feeling of the source pretty much intact while adding some cool guitar licks and stuff.

Despite how short it is right now, I think you can make a nice song out of it. You could add some jazzy solos and maybe a calmer chill-piano section, stuff like that. It has potential!

Jazzy solos and a chill-piano section. Good ideas I would say! I shall try coming up with both of those.

Another thing I shouldn't even be talking about is the guitar tone. It's not jiving that well with the rest of the instruments which all sound great but the guitar sounds like it's apart from the mix and not playing with it. If I knew how to make it sound right I would gladly tell you but this is an area that i am still working on myself.

I suck bad on the whole production aspect of things in general, so if there is a problem I can't really hear it. Would be interesting to hear other thoughts on this.

So second question for anyone: What's wrong with the tone and how do I fix?

Finally, some great feedback! Thanks you two!

I think the guitar feels a bit off because the rest of the samples sound a bit mechanical (bass especially, the synths and pads are fine) and are a lot quieter than the guitar (drums should be a lot louder and could use more variation!). I may be off here, but do the other instruments use reverb? That may be causing the guitar feel a bit appart from the rest.

Ignoring the above comment, I'm not that fond off the guitar tone you're using. I think I don't really like the distortion you picked. I like that it's light, but it has a flanger or something that doesn't sound that good.

I think the guitar feels a bit off because the rest of the samples sound a bit mechanical (bass especially, the synths and pads are fine) and are a lot quieter than the guitar (drums should be a lot louder and could use more variation!). I may be off here, but do the other instruments use reverb? That may be causing the guitar feel a bit appart from the rest.

Ignoring the above comment, I'm not that fond off the guitar tone you're using. I think I don't really like the distortion you picked. I like that it's light, but it has a flanger or something that doesn't sound that good.

Well, the little lead bits have chorus.

Sounds like a rock disco track to me. Probably because of the hi hats.

There's a playing mistake at 0:31, or something rhythmically weird. Check that. Aside from that in that section, the solo kind of meanders, IMO, until 0:42.

The arrangement overall is just the same riff with some somewhat random soloing. I think you should add another source in and make the arrangement more varied.

This has a wicked little jive to it man! I have a couple of criticisms however:

1. Your hi-hat sounds fairly overpowering compared to the rest of the track. I'd drop the volume a fair bit to a level that blends easier and EQ it so the harsher end (10khz+) has a slight dip, only a little, just to remove some of the harshness.

2. The guitar tone sounds like it's delayed in the playing or the rhythmic timing is off. It's a tough one to explain and the tone doesn't seem to blend too well either. Add some mids on the guitar and a slight reverb to gel it together!

There are other things such as the ones said above but these are what stand out to me more on a production point of view. Apart from that, keep it up and great work :)

I like it in that song, it makes me remember Symphony X's tone on Paradise Lost. Also gives me a Killer Instinct feeling :-P

Odd, given that it is the same tone as here, only a half-step up.

There's a playing mistake at 0:31, or something rhythmically weird. Check that. Aside from that in that section, the solo kind of meanders, IMO, until 0:42.

The arrangement overall is just the same riff with some somewhat random soloing. I think you should add another source in and make the arrangement more varied.

At 0:31 there is no guitar, if that is what you were referring to. Not sure I'm hearing what you're hearing.

This has a wicked little jive to it man! I have a couple of criticisms however:

1. Your hi-hat sounds fairly overpowering compared to the rest of the track. I'd drop the volume a fair bit to a level that blends easier and EQ it so the harsher end (10khz+) has a slight dip, only a little, just to remove some of the harshness.

2. The guitar tone sounds like it's delayed in the playing or the rhythmic timing is off. It's a tough one to explain and the tone doesn't seem to blend too well either. Add some mids on the guitar and a slight reverb to gel it together!

There are other things such as the ones said above but these are what stand out to me more on a production point of view. Apart from that, keep it up and great work

To point 2, are you referring to the lead, rhythm or both? If the rhythm in the intro and toward the middle, I think I know why this is.

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone!