OCR00372 - M.U.S.H.A. "For the Love of 2D"

Saunders

• 6 months later...

Massive...synths...everywhere...

well, uh, just felt this deserved to have more than the initial review. This will definitely be your thing if you love wailing synths, which djp's earlier remixes have a definite prominence in it seems. One of those songs that gets you all emotional when you try to whistle it like the synth would sound.

Without listening closely it sounds like the same drum loop is being played over and over again, which I don't really notice too much with his songs. The drums aren't the main focus, though, as anyone would be listening to the synths and guitar over them any day.

Need more input!

• 1 year later...

This is a shmup ReMix, so I was going to get around to DLing it sometime, but I gotta admit that the ECM reference(/reverence) hastened my decision somewhat ^_^. For the love of 2D is an ideal shmup mix, namely becuase it's solid, workman-like and could've easily graced any shooter from the olden days when games were hard and geeks were harder. Perhaps the only caveat is that when it is looped on it's own, despite an aggressive last 10-15 seconds, the end and the begining and the middle all seem one and the same - though I guess the hallmark of it's classyness is in it's ability to be continuously looped in the first place, right?

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I simply adore the squiggly lead line here. The sound is fantastic, and very unique. The rest of the track moves along at a good pace and features plenty of interesting elements. The guitar sounds really good for a synth based one, and though the drums are a little muddy, they are well programmed. The intro arpeggios are also fantastic.

This is a pretty unfamiliar game with a strange remix title, but it's really good. Give it a shot.

• 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Ditto on anso's comment, this needs more reviews.

Ok, this is an older remix so I am aware that the sound quality isn't going to be be-all end-all.

Anyway, the lead synth is what really drives the mix. Its so well programmed with attention to detail that synth lovers like me are bound to drool over it

However it drowns out the backing to an extent due to loudness, but that isn't a bad thing imo :P

However, without the lead synth to drive the track, the backing sounds weak, not helped by that awful fake guitar :S

Not a favorite of mine, and I am not going to download it, but it does have good points like the lead sequencing and I am not forgetting to put its age in the equation, which brings me to the conclusion that this is a good mix :P

The drums don't really work so well in this. The piece is very stiff rhythmically. I wish it more relaxed and varied in that respect. The lead is great, good sound and used well, and the backing sounds pretty good for the most part - the rhythmic stiffness extends there in parts, and it's a bit buried. Pretty fun ending!

EDIT: It took me a while to spot that fake guitar. I think it sounds actually pretty good, mostly, it's like a thick swab of electricity. There are bits where I feel it's trying to sound like a guitar, those higher notes in the riff, and there it's pretty bad. But happily that mostly falls under my radar.

--Eino

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00372 - M.U.S.H.A. "For the Love of 2D"