*NO* After Burner 'Super STRIPE'

djpretzel

Despite its noteriety, I couldn't find any game music format rips or MIDIs for this and haven't played the game, so I'm running without the sources. I'm assuming they're "Super Stripe" & "Final Take Off". Someone may be able to link to them, and I'm fairly sure someone else will recognize them anyway.

Intro was nice and beefy. It would work pretty nicely provided the track developed well. Melody kicked in at :55, but the lead was too airy and obscured by the beats. Literally adding the lead on top of the exisiting instrumentation sounded pretty bootleg.

Nice idea with the driving percussion dropped out at 1:36, although again, still not getting much direction. Wait, what the hell...? The section faded out abruptly at 1:50 and just started a new source tune. No sense of connection at all, it was only jarring and disjointed as far as the listening experience.

Moving on, you had a nice idea fadin up the new source melody starting at 1:51. But when it peaked at 2:18 the whole thing sounded tremendously flooded and indistinct. Bringing the beats back in at 2:32, the whole thing sounded like a mess. Dunno if that was overcompression or what, but everything sounded terrible. You could barely hear anything besides that swamped lead until 3:26, and then it moved back to the first source tune at 3:28 with no transition AGAIN. Man, what was the hell was up with that?

Anyway, I liked the pads or whatever those were forming the support playing from 3:28-3:56, but again, the melody came in and now those supporting pads were hard to distinguish underneath. Anyway, the pads dropped out at 4:23 and left the source the repeat a bit more for the finish.

Just based on the lack variation, the arrangement was awfully repetitive and underdeveloped, as well as disjointed which some awful psuedo transitions, and the production was a mess with absolutely 0 polish. At some point, use some headphones to check on your material while you're mixing it. This flat-out doesn't have the creativity of your past OC ReMixes, which makes this all the more disappointing. Very hastily and sloppily put together.

NO

• 4 weeks later...

i wouldnt call what kicks in at :55 a "melody".

the first two minutes kick ass. slow build. works really well. but then there's a complete drop...followed by something completely different. once this section builds up all the saws blend together. sounds like mush. jagged-tooth mush.

make the composition a little more cohesive. drop the second section, work with the first.

NO

I'm feeling section 1, but there's absolutely no melody, just a sustained groove that gets my head bobbin'

Hmmmmm, if there was some kind of transition at 1:50 this wouldn't sound so ridiculous. It feels like you didn't know how to tie these two sections together, so you just cut everything out and started the new bit.

There's potential here. And a melody in section 1 would be appreciated.

NO