Garritan Personal Orchestra

I've been looking to purchase a cheap, decent library of orchestral sounds. GPO seems to fit that bill, however looking at the system requirements on the site it mentions Finale which leaves me confused. It actually only runs in Finale now? I am pretty sure I've tried an earlier version of GPO many years ago and it was a standard VST that could run in any DAW.

Hi Daniel,

I was in a similar situation several years ago. I didn’t have a lot of money to spend, but needed some fairly decent orchestral sounds for a project I was working on. My preference was a VST plug-in, so I ended up narrowing my choices down to GPO and MOTU Symphonic Instrument (both were below 300). BTW…I believe GPO will still work as a VST plug-in.

I liked both, but felt the MOTU sounds were a little more realistic when demoing the product, so I went with that one. The results of the project were decent, but looking back, I honestly wish I would have just saved a little longer and picked up East West Symphonic Gold or something similar.

I hope this helps some.

Steve

www.northsounds.com

I don't have it but I was also looking into it for a while and it's definitely a VST.

I think they originally developed for finale, but as far as I know finale uses VSTs anyway.

Supports all popular formats, Mac and PC, as a standalone program or as a plug-in (VST, RTAS, and OSX Audio Units), works with supported notation programs and works in 64-bit operating systems (Windows only).

I can't find the mention of Finale in the system requirements (link?) but probably what they're referring to is the fact that if you want to use it with Finale, you need such-and-such a version of Finale, because the old versions of Finale -- though some of them came with an integrated version of GPO -- don't support VST and won't be able to run GPO 4. They single Finale out for mention because Garritan and Finale are owned by the same company, but GPO works with any VST host.

Don't mean to derail the thread, but I am curious now - does anyone have any experience with the Garritan World Instruments set? It sounded a bit weak to me last I remember listening to the demos, but I just now remembered it and wondered if anyone ever tried it.

I participated in a Garritan World Instruments content awhile back on Indaba and was pretty unimpressed with the free sounds.

Not to hijack the the thread but I saw a mentioning of Garritan World Instruments which I have been recently looking into.

I am really not a huge fan of garritan, at all. And unfortunately i'm not really good enough to have that mean anything :) but does anyone know of the general quality of the more folkish instruments in the collection? (specifically Irish, Finnish, Germanic and Japanese) I'm sort of hung up on going with Garritan or just saving like mad for a year and getting all of the East West World VST collections.

GPO is really cheap as a download these days innit?

Sound is meh, but it's quite playable and the patches load fast and stuff. From what i've heard, you.can do alright sounding things with it if you play to the library's strengths. That can be said for a lot of products though, right? ;d

It's like, you could probably compose an equally strong/stronger orchestral library out of free stuff found all over the net, but GPO saves you the hassle of finding all that and setting it up.