Resume or not?

SgtYayap

I've been gone for a long time, and I fully acknowledge that. To be honest, the reason I've been gone is because I haven't had the best experience here, given the elaborate criticisms over my music attempts.

I've had time to improve when it comes to EQ'ing and mastering, thankfully, yet I'm still hesitant to do anything here related to remixes, even if it will help promote me.

Do YOU all think I should dabble with game music remixes again?

If you have to ask us, then no, because you're doing it for the wrong reasons.

this.

You make music cuz you want to make music. I'm too timid to even submit anything to OCR, but I keep making stuff and, sure, I get people who say it's bad, and I feel like crap for a while, but I keep trying. If YOU want to make music, do it. What WE want doesn't matter in the least.

I've been gone for a long time, and I fully acknowledge that. To be honest, the reason I've been gone is because I haven't had the best experience here, given the elaborate criticisms over my music attempts.

I've had time to improve when it comes to EQ'ing and mastering, thankfully, yet I'm still hesitant to do anything here related to remixes, even if it will help promote me.

Do YOU all think I should dabble with game music remixes again?

I'd say go for it. If you like video game music and you want to remix. Don't let a website discourage you. There's plenty of music out there that doesn't cater to OCR's standards whether it's cover music or interpreted music similar to what you may find here. You can always show stuff here and get feedback whether it's just general feedback or feedback specific to getting a song posted here.

Hope that helps.

As far as the criticism goes, you've gotta accept that there are always people that are better than you and know more than you. You should listen to those people and learn from them when they criticize your music. If you're getting heavy criticism from this community, there's a reason for it. The people here know what they're talking about and won't slam you for no reason. Even if people don't know anything about music, it means quite a bit when an average listener says something doesn't sound good. Strive to get better using the criticism given as opposed to dismissing it as negative feedback.

For your ultimate question, I'm going to have to reciprocate everyone else's sentiments. It appears as if you're asking us if we WANT you to remix and that should never be the grounds for which you do anything. Judging by the amount of music on your bandcamp page linked in your sig (which for some mysterious reason goes through a broken ad.fly link...) you're pretty passionate about what you do. Or am I wrong and was all of that written because other people wanted you to write it?

tl;dr - What everyone else said. If you want to, do it. If you don't, our opinions are irrelevant.

Has anyone read the crits that were posted on this guy's work?

Very positive, helpful and uplifting. (OCR norm in other words)

It's good to have faith in your mixes but not to the point where it causes you pain and you don't take freely given musical advice.

At one point in my life I had PHD's in music bitch and scream and throw music across the room claiming my interpretation of a work was incorrect and that I had to relearn it or give up.

Compared to that OCR is a haven.

To be honest, the reason I've been gone is because I haven't had the best experience here, given the elaborate criticisms over my music attempts.

I left early on, too, for the same reason (thanks, Rozo :P). Sucks when someone craps on something you put a lot of work into, but if it's garbage, it's garbage. You have to grit your teeth and improve, yo.

But I practiced, I listened critically and tried to apply what I heard, I talked extensively to better musicians than myself, and I experimented constantly, and now I've improved to the point where *gyaassp* PEOPLE LIKE MY MUSIC!!!

Do the above, and you, too, could have fans.

P.S. you really actually have to do that stuff.

You should make remixes because you're passionate about those songs and have great ideas for them, people will appreciate that. If you've learned a lot then give yourself some credit and have some confidence. I used to be a bit sore from rejections but I came to understand a lot eventually and value what I took away from here. I don't know if I will submit here again, maybe some day, I just get a whole different kick from writing original songs. If you're doing it for publicity that's just something you need to figure out for yourself, there's many ways to make fans and it's always better to get the attention you feel you deserve by doing what makes you happy and what you're happy to keep giving.

I left early on, too, for the same reason (thanks, Rozo :P). Sucks when someone craps on something you put a lot of work into, but if it's garbage, it's garbage. You have to grit your teeth and improve, yo.

But I practiced, I listened critically and tried to apply what I heard, I talked extensively to better musicians than myself, and I experimented constantly, and now I've improved to the point where *gyaassp* PEOPLE LIKE MY MUSIC!!!

Do the above, and you, too, could have fans.

P.S. you really actually have to do that stuff.

Yep. All of this. ecto is one of the first OCR friends I made, and he's become a great friend IRL. We got into music at about the same time, and we've ended up having a lot of the same experiences, especially when it comes to criticism (countless times we've exchanged our frustrations with music, been incredibly discouraged, had to take breaks from it). It really is part of the process, it toughens you up and forces you to look for the inevitable utility of ANY comment that someone would make about your music.

It seems kinda like you're asking "are you people going to be nicer to me this time?" If that's the case, I'm going to echo what everyone else is saying. I would encourage you to put your work up here for feedback, but whether or not you should make music shouldn't be something you should have to ask people. And if you want to make music, but don't want criticism, no one says you have to put it up here to begin with :P

I definitely think you should have a resume handy. Only sure way to get a job nowadays.

Lol, this is what I read too

it's funny that ecto brings up having his music put down since just last night he put down my whistling skills (and so did Xarnax)...

but after being a bit depressed about it, i realized that i just need to strive to improve. sure, i may never be as good as i previously thought i was, but that's okay. there's always room for improvement

Closing this.

I know I'm going to sound like a jerk saying this, but I'm just going to say it anyway because I can't figure out a way to say it without sounding like a jerk (and this is totally rhetorical):

Who are you?

I mean honestly, from your post history I can see that you have around 50 posts to your name and you've only been registered here at OCR for like a year. Last thread in Workshop was in August? That's not really "gone for a long time."

You're asking people here whether or not they want YOU to make more remixes, but unless I'm mistaken and have really been missing out on your work, most people here aren't familiar with you or your work anyway, so they don't care; and I don't mean "don't care" in malicious way, just in a totally indifferent way.

Just make the music you want to make, and post it if you want to post it. Asking people if they want to hear it just feels like you're trying to draw attention to yourself without actually doing something worth paying attention to.