Pokemon R/S/E Shoal Cave Remix

AlmightyArceus

Here's a remix I've been working on for a little while; a remix of the Shoal Cave theme into 5/4 time signature. Tell me how you think it's coming along so far! I think it's one of my best remixes I've made! :) It's not completed yet, but the parts that are done are sounding good to me! Tell me what you think! :D

Link: https://www.box.com/s/9zqksc8yjcc3hl6ns9vz

Source:

You should upgrade the bells in the intro. They're a bit plain, so try finding a more interesting mallet patch.

This is sounding middle eastern, lol. Not a bad thing. It'd be really cool if you had some mideast instruments in here, in that case. Saz, Oud, Dulcimer, Mandolin, Zourna, etc. Sounds like a Zourna and Dulcimer or Electric Sitar might fit in rather well. i.e. Electric Sitar at 1:15ish (if so, you'd need some adjustments to the sequencing to avoid notes bleeding into each other due to the Env release), Zourna/Saz (or both, layered) at 1:35, etc. And do tell me if you can find good mideast instruments, because I have no clue where to find good ones. ;D

Edited by timaeus222

Very nice! This remix keeps the feeling of the original in a very interesting way.

Some background instruments remind me of Starcraft's Zerg music :-P

I didn't really like that the track has a sudden bump in volume when the drums come in. The first section could work being just as loud as the rest of the song.

The synth lead at 2:03 is too quiet which is a shame since it seems interesting.

Nice work :)

This is pretty neat, I like where this is at right now! :) Need to match the overall volume of the song throughout, as the intro and the second half are radically different in volume from each other at the moment. I suggest some modulation on a few of your instruments to give them some life and make the song progress a little better.

I love the 5/4 time sig, it doesn't sound out of place at all, it really works well :)

Needs a little more tension in the atmosphere

Other than that you're on the right track, I really like the DnB stylized drums and the slightly garbled saw synth is a nice touch the bass pad is nice and smooth though the bells could use a bit of a touch up. In short, nice job mate and can't wait to hear the final version.

Needs a little more tension in the atmosphere

Other than that you're on the right track, I really like the DnB stylized drums and the slightly garbled saw synth is a nice touch the bass pad is nice and smooth though the bells could use a bit of a touch up. In short, nice job mate and can't wait to hear the final version.

That's what I had tried to establish in the beginning with the background synth playing the 5th and sharp 5th in alternation. I have a feeling that when I adjust the volume between the beginning and the chorus to make them more equal, that tension will become a bit more establish. I might add a few more synths in that section to establish it a bit more.

Thank you all so much for these fantastic comments! I am working on this mix right now, and I should have a more updated WIP coming soon! :D

• 2 months later...

I'll go into detail tomorrow, but I want to post while I'm on:

I still feel like there's some volume-balancing issues throughout the song. The interludes and bridges are very quiet. The instruments used in them seem to be reserved enough to be played loud while still giving off the vibe that it's the less energetic portion of the song, so you may want to consider leveling those out a bit.

Something I wasn't a fan of was how the DnB-style beat comes into the song. The Kicks and Snares just kind of start, and without some high-hats to provide a good speedy rhythm to them, it sounds kind of weird. I would keep the kick/snare beat out until you get to the section where the high-hats start and replace it with some sort of drum buildup (could be simple or complex, I think it would sound better either way)

Positive note, though, the whole track is very cool, and it's definitely progressing well :)

One thing I must say is that it's great to see such an off-the-wall track like Shoal Cave get some love. I feel like the Pokemon games have tons of great music that doesn't get much attention. I'm looking forward to the updated version :)

Yeah, I logged on just to say the same thing...from his D/P/Pt Route 216 mix, to Meteor Falls and now Shoal Cave, I'm pretty impressed at AlmightyArceus' uncanny ability to adapt a relatively underappreciated / unmixed source tun to a pretty unique time signature.

Above all, though, it's nice to see more remixes from Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. I may be in the minority but I absolutely adored the soundtrack. In fact, I stand firmly by the notion that those three games had the best soundtrack of the series. :D