OC ReMix representation at cons?

Esperado

Im curious if there is any particular method to officially representing OCR at a con, even if just as some sort of panel that discusses what OCR is, how it works and sharing some examples. Im assuming having at least one mixpost would be a plus( so people take you a bit more seriously). The reason Im curious is because I thought it would be fun to run a panel at Anime Detour, or another of the cons in the midwest area. The panel would inform as to what OCR is, what we do, how to get involved as a musician or supporter, and just general info about the group. It might be a year or so before I felt confident enough to run it, but I figure I may as well ask right now while the idea is fresh in my head.

I've helped run panels at two conventions in the UK now, we generally discuss OCR, but put emphasis on music performance and audience participation (through competitions where we give away merch). As far as i'm aware, the conventions we are doing are the only ones outside the US.

If you're interested in running an OCR panel, I suggest you talk to DJP and see if you can find any conventions that would be interested in having an OCR Panel.

Im curious if there is any particular method to officially representing OCR at a con, even if just as some sort of panel that discusses what OCR is, how it works and sharing some examples. Im assuming having at least one mixpost would be a plus( so people take you a bit more seriously). The reason Im curious is because I thought it would be fun to run a panel at Anime Detour, or another of the cons in the midwest area. The panel would inform as to what OCR is, what we do, how to get involved as a musician or supporter, and just general info about the group. It might be a year or so before I felt confident enough to run it, but I figure I may as well ask right now while the idea is fresh in my head.

If you're considering doing a panel at Anime Detour, might want to check in with some Midwest OCR folks. I know we already did a panel at Anime Detour in 2010, where OA, Brushfire, and myself were present. OA is a local to that area, Brushfire and I are not.

For most panels I guess its generally preferred to have an OCR staff member there as representation in an official capacity, but if you're able to work with staff folks ahead of time I don't believe it is a hard requirement. We have a powerpoint that we continue to edit and update for each convention.

Mixpost isn't normally something done at a panel. Sometimes they get done around the date of a panel to inform folks on the site about it.

Anyway, I suggest PMing OA to get the ball rolling on a potential panel in his local area, seeing as having someone from staff would help you greatly to figure out what to do.

Mixpost isn't normally something done at a panel. Sometimes they get done around the date of a panel to inform folks on the site about it.

I think Esperado was suggesting that the panelist be a posted remixer.

Really, we don't have rules set for this because there's only been a handful of times that djpretzel has not been on the panel himself. More important than being a posted remixer, we want at least one person we trust running the panel, that we are sure will represent the site well. Stevo's suggestion of talking to OA is good, since the way we can learn to trust you is if you are able to do panels with people we already trust.

Yea I meant being a posted remixer. I guess I missued the term mixpost. I thought it meant that you have one mix posted. sorry on that!

I MISSED THAT?! that was my first detour, so i guess i didnt even really know what a panel was at the time. Oh well. I will Pm OA about it! thanks for the input guys!

ugh with that image...

Anyway OCR AT E3! E3!!! do iiiiit!

E3 is an industry event for game developers and publishers, specifically businesses, and geared towards press, not the general public. OCR would have to do a lot of things before we'd be eligible to exhibit anything at E3.

Our con presences are geared towards fans and general public. MAGFest, PAX East, Otakon, etc., those are the kinds of conventions that are a good fit for us. Tournaments like Apex 2013 are also nice, albeit different from what we normally do (we had a vendor table in the vendor area/artist alley and sold merch, rather than doing a panel or performance).

Anime conventions are good because there's a lot of crossover in those fan communities.

E3 is an industry event for game developers and publishers, specifically businesses, and geared towards press, not the general public. OCR would have to do a lot of things before we'd be eligible to exhibit anything at E3.

Our con presences are geared towards fans and general public. MAGFest, PAX East, Otakon, etc., those are the kinds of conventions that are a good fit for us. Tournaments like Apex 2013 are also nice, albeit different from what we normally do (we had a vendor table in the vendor area/artist alley and sold merch, rather than doing a panel or performance).

Anime conventions are good because there's a lot of crossover in those fan communities.

Psh! ;) you've got several industry players on the site for some HUGE games. But yeah i get the point =D Still i think you guys need to hit something Gigantic this year. Like comiccon.

Out of curiosity, are you in the Twin Cities area, or is that just the nearest convention to you?

Out of curiosity, are you in the Twin Cities area, or is that just the nearest convention to you?

mhmm! i live in St. Paul actually. It does happen to be the closest con to me as well though, excluding the recently formed animinne ( or however its spelled) which is supposedly in downtown, but its tiny. I think the next biggest if im not mistaken is Acen? and thats someplace in chicago.

I'm in St. Paul, OA is near the Mall of America south of town, and MaxFrost is northwest -- there are a few of us close by. Sometime we'll have to introduce ourselves in person...

I feel perhaps TOO excited at the fact that there are three other OCRers in my city :D it would be quite nice to get together sometime .

I pmed OA about this thread, so we will see! hopefully we can set something up in the way of cons , otherwise ill likely be going to magfest, so maybe ill hang around whatever panelesque thing we hold there, and hand out water or something XD