*NO* Bubsy: Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind 'River Raftin'

DragonAvenger

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Bubsy: Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Bluegrass Bobcat

Name of remix: River Raftin

Additional information: The composer = Matt Berardo. System = Snes

Link to the original soundtrack:

Your own comments about the mix: You mentioned in my Puggsy mix that we need some Bubsy love around here. Well, ask and you shall receive :). For real though, this mix has been sitting around my workshop for months, I just haven't taken the time to really polish it until now. This marks my first Orchestral style mix. This game wasn't exactly the greatest, but boy did it have some great music and sounds!

• 3 weeks later...

LOL can't believe you remixed Bubsy just because of Dave's write-up, nice. Thought this game's soundtrack had some pretty good songs; this one sounds like Banjo-Kazooie. Dat banjo.

This wasn't on the same level as your Puggsy sub, though I can appreciate the arrangement ideas you came up with. The first problem is that the string lead is definitely not realistic enough to hold the lead in an orchestral song, but even the supporting instruments were stiff at times. There was also a very awkward dropoff/fade-in at 1:55 that sounded like the end of the song, and that broke into a section that hewed closer to the original and didn't really fit with what had come before. You tried to mix the two styles toward the end, but it still wasn't that cohesive.

I could see this turning into a passable sub, but it would need a lot of care on the sequencing and realism side, and probably a little bit of rewriting.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, Palp nailed it here. The main issue I'm hearing here is unrealistic/rigid sequencing. That cello solo lead has a really unrealstic sounding vibrato as well. I think you need to replace the sample if it's going to be featured so prominently.

See what you can do to vary up boxy block chord writing in the backing parts as well as smooth out attacks/releases so they don't sound so rigid.

Definitely not bad for your first orchestral work, but still a ways to go.

NO resubmit, please

I don't think the samples were the biggest problem here. I think bland part writing is a bigger fault. The source you're working with is hardly riveting or memorable, so why remix this track at all? The point is to inject some life into it, and this remix is way too straightforward to prop up a weak source.

NO