Your real name - Stevo Bortz, Benjamin Briggs

Your website – http://level99.thestuffoflegends.net/

Your userid – 13318

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged – Mario Kart 64

Name of individual song(s) arranged – Rainbow Road

Composer: Kenta Nagata

Comments on the song:

If one were to sum up my feelings about how unjustly derided a number of vocals ReMixes are on this site, I'd only have to use three words:

Haters gonna hate

I started this song as an acoustic vocal arrangement of the ridiculously catchy, happy, upbeat Rainbow Road track from Mario Kart 64. The leads from the track have always felt like the instrumental equivalent of what should have been vocal lines. Where else could it have have gone besides a love song, likening the thrill of romance with that of a race taking place far up in the sky. Well, discounting the Game Cube version of Rainbow Road, which already has a definitive vocal version.

So this originally was going to remain an all-acoustic and vocal song. However, along the way, an opportunity came up that seemed to crazy and exciting to turn down. As a result, the track employs a total of four acoustic guitars, two vocalists, and a number of wonderful synthetic additions from my main man, Benjamin Briggs. His comments:

"Not TOO MUCH to say about this one; Stevo showed me the WIP of this track, which was originally just multi-track guitar and vocals. I begged him to let me put chiptunes in it, he asked me to add drums and stuff, and I wrote and sang all of the backup vocal parts as a surprise. I really freakin' love this track, and Stevo. Hope everyone else does too! (What's not to like??)"

So the guitars, lead vocals, and lyrics were my doing, which his backing vocals, mixing, mastering, and all other additions in his court. The result feels unbelievably warm, despite the guitars being slightly thin and the usage of chiptunes which could have been harsh and jarring were it not in Ben's tender care. We both employed a slight amount of autotune in our voices, which I feel is more of an aesthetic choice than a corrective one. The chiptunes accompaniments are so dead-on in their note accuracy that previous versions without the tuning made the vocals unseated somewhat in the mix, which was unpleasant listening.

I may have a track record for taking some unconventional approaches to making video game arrangements, but one thing I will never feel wrong about is adding vocals to songs. They have the ability to add an entirely new level, or multiple levels, of meaning and emotion to a song. Ponder this as you imagine Mario and Peach having a romantic race across a rainbow track beaming between the stars, where no matter who makes it across the finish line first, they both have each other and the incredible journey along the way.

Lyrics:

Up in the sky

Where radiance abounds

there is a

luminous road

Hearts race away

suspended seemlessly

it is a

site to behold

We're on our way, let's go today

because we might be

the only ones to ever be

Up off the ground, with arms around

holding me tightly

there's no where else I'd want to be

The path is paved

with colors filled with light

they cast a

radiant glow

no end in sight

now that you're here with me

let's chase the

eternal rainbow

Forever long

You've held your hand in mine

together

journeys unfold

we've crossed the line

while we would love to stay

our ride has

come to a close

it's not the end, so don't pretend

we've solved the mystery

there's so much else that's left to see

across the stars, this world is ours

the only reality

there's no where else I'd want to be

Stevo Bortz and Benjamin Briggs. Imma call you Stevjamin Brorggtz.

Just by the by, this source is incredible.

Really solid acoustic work, gives a very driving rhythm throughout. I like the way the drums and chips build up, and aren't introduced too quickly. I can just feel the vocal hate brewing, and this pleases me. If I have a main criticism it's that the ending is a bit on the naff side though.

Excellent stuff from Brorggtz.

HYES

It's like TMBG! Even Stevo sounds like one of their singers a bit, which is sweet.

Really nice soundscape, wish there was a touch more bass, but it's very nice.

Lyrics are great, harmonies are tight and the voices meld together well, and you guys are just both SO CUTE!

This is probably DP-worthy, but I really wanted to make a rainbow road-inspired yes vote.

YES SIR

I actually got to hear this one in Stevo's car while visiting Maryland for a work conference, and everything sounded strong; really glad we finally got to this one.

Vocals isn't a direction I would have expected to hear "Rainbow Road" in, but it works very well. Great combination of the acoustic and chip elements as well.

The nasally style of the vocals will kill some haters dead, but that's about the only "issue" I hear and it's a subjective thing. Cool to hear Ben do some vocals as well.

Play this for your Kart 64-lovin' lady and give her a big hug. :-)

YES