VSTs that have done more harm than good

I love how two of those are ReFX synths.

I haven't used them much lately but I consider myself a fair user of Slayer 2. All it takes I think is a better knowledge of guitar amping and the guitar itself. Obviously it was made for people who can't play/record guitar, but it blows if you're too oblivious.

I have also used it for other great effects, with something other than guitar in mind.

I agree with 3xOSC and Vanguard though for the most part.

However, no synth is globally bad at all. Just a little skill with your tool can make ANYTHING sound good. Case in point: Mazedude's recent American Album.

I'll start.

ReFX Vanguard - Now thousands of Tiesto wannabes can choose from douzens of easily recognizable supersaw presets and use them in the most predictable ways possible.

Umm.. no? Supersaw? Not any good ones, anyway.

z3ta+ maybe, but that too barely touches the supersaw. V-Station and Reaktor are the only two synths I've heard come really close.

I also wanna add BooBass.

]
I'll start.

ReFX Vanguard - Now thousands of Tiesto wannabes can choose from douzens of easily recognizable supersaw presets and use them in the most predictable ways possible.

Umm.. no? Supersaw? Not any good ones, anyway.

z3ta+ maybe, but that too barely touches the supersaw. V-Station and Reaktor are the only two synths I've heard come really close.

I also wanna add BooBass.

Yes, Vanguard makes the supersaw presets. I think the concensus has been made and this is the bane of trance right now.

Not if you know how to use them (not only Waves, but Plugins in general). But I have to agree here. Overpriced, CPU hungry, sometimes/very often not even "that" highend sounding. They're just popular and cost that much cause "pro's" say "that's the best shit on earth".

Also I disliked them from the day I wanted to uninstall the demos... They stayed in the damn DX listing. So if you want to get rid of them "completey", you needed something like AnalogX DX Remover (third party), else the plugins still exist as "ghosts" even though you uninstalled them.

Two thumbs up, Waves.

/me waits for the "Vanguard vs. Reaktor vs. z3ta+ vs. JX220 vs. SuperSaw Free vs. Roland Juno 106 hardware" bashing

Want some popcorn?

you forgot jp-8080 you fuck

And no, Vanguard can NOT make a fucking supersaw. Saw pads, yeah. Not a supersaw, though...

Anyway, I strongly agree with the Vanguard thing. you have to know how to use it, i guess (layer layer layer detune detune detune)

BT is working on some effects plug that does some variation of his crazy stutter edits. I bet it will be the shit, but that technique is going to become 100% overused in about five minutes.

Yeah, I read that in Keyboard this month. Unfortunatly your probably right, the stutter effect that he does so well will be incredibly overused and lose it's flair, which is very unfortunate. :(

But yeah, throw in a vote on slayer for me.

• 2 weeks later...
I'll start.

3xOsc - The source of the 'fln00b' sound.

ReFX Slayer - Only use this if you really, really know what you're doing.

That's pretty funny. :lol:

If you're annoyed by that, the Smartelectronix Team brought out an other tool sooner than "SuperTrigger" (unless it is the same). Every start (play) of the sequencer has completely different settings. It's no fun controlling it.

Alternatives:

- dfx skidder

- dblue (firm)

- Devine Machine (firm)

Here you can trigger whatever the hell you want and you have total control.

SuperTrigger really annoys me. If you can't be bothered to program the stutters and reverses and such on your own, you shouldn't be making IDM/breakcore/glitch.

:cry:

Hehe, I can see where you're coming from. Supatrigga sort of encourages laziness. Still, you can reach a certain level of control with a lot of automation, and I don't think a little randomisation here and there hurts. It's actually pretty similar to the stylus rmx chaos designer.