RECRUITING! - Super Dr. Mario RPG - Tracklist up, start claiming!

Arrow

The tracklist is truly baffling (Final Fantasy IX?), but really like the Red Comet theme from Super Mario Galaxy, which I just finished and have warm fuzzy feelings about. I think it would make some wicked drum n bass. I'll take that if it's ok.

It is weird, but I actually thought about Super Mario RPG and the battle with Culex which used the FFII/IV boss theme - and then it didn't seem as weird anymore. Of course, that might not be the reason for choosing the FFIX battle theme at all...

The tracklist is truly baffling (Final Fantasy IX?), but really like the Red Comet theme from Super Mario Galaxy, which I just finished and have warm fuzzy feelings about. I think it would make some wicked drum n bass. I'll take that if it's ok.

Sure, have at it!

As for your comment about FFIX being baffling, you remember how the original Super Mario RPG used Final Fantasy IV's battle theme wholesale for the Culex fight? We're using FFIX's battle theme for this sequel's version of that, and we chose FFIX specifically because #1: well, we needed to include a battle theme from an FF title as a shoutout to Culex obviously, but more importantly #2: we get to make a fantastically horrible pun with the track title if we use FFIX's.

People who are on the project can give me their e-mail addresses, preferably Gmail, and I'll give them access to the Google Drive project folder where they can see behind the scenes stuff. That includes the pun for the FFIX Battle title.

If you're NOT on the project, well, tough beans, I'm not revealing the pun till the project comes out. XD

As for your comment about FFIX being baffling, you remember how the original Super Mario RPG used Final Fantasy IV's battle theme wholesale for the Culex fight? We're using FFIX's battle theme for this sequel's version of that, and we chose FFIX specifically because #1: well, we needed to include a battle theme from an FF title as a shoutout to Culex obviously, but more importantly #2: we get to make a fantastically horrible pun with the track title if we use FFIX's.
Also FFIX's battle theme is, I believe, the last FF battle theme to use the classic bass line for FF battle music used in FF1-6 (and for specific bosses in 7 and 8).

Incidentally, the youtube link to this source in your track list posts is now broken.

I don't see anything about any kind of unifying style, instrumentation, etc. mentioned anywhere in the first post, or in this thread. If this were a "real" RPG, there would be some kind of consistency in that regard.

I'm seriously tempted to give this a shot--I've not yet made anything of sufficient quality for this, but then I've not yet spent more than a week or so working on one remix. If the style/genre restrictions, if any, match something I think I might be able to do, I'll start working on a WIP to audition.

Edit: I notice there aren't any "location"-type entries on the tracklist yet. I'm thinking about working on something for "Beware the Forest's Mushrooms" or "Still, the Road is Full of Dangers." That way, if I come up with a WIP worth using, great, it could be worked in; if I don't, then it doesn't block off someone else from remixing a source they want. I have some very preliminary ideas regarding a combination of "Beware the Forest's Mushrooms," Dr. Mario 64 "Que Que," and SMW's "Forest of Illusion."

Edited by MindWanderer

MindWanderer: The project's framework is indeed the premise that it's an RPG soundtrack, but it's a remix project first and foremost. So there's no overarching musical styles people need to use in this case. The unifying link between all the songs for this particular project is the source usage mentioned in the OP post: that if you're remixing a song from Super Mario RPG, it should have a leitmotif from a Dr. Mario song included, and if you're remixing a song from a Mario series game that's not SMRPG or a Dr. Mario game, you should include a leitmotif from either in your track. The idea you had in your post's edit clearly fits within those guidelines, so basically, knock yourself out and have fun. I'll put you down for Beware the Forest's Mushrooms for now, but let me know if you decide to do something different. EDIT: Oh, and thanks for letting me know that link was broken. A few others were gone too; I'm fixing them now.

therex: Will do! I haven't set any due dates yet because not enough people have claimed tracks for me to do that, I feel, so right now we're basically in a holding pattern where people can claim stuff and work at their own pace but I'm not checking in often or pestering them to speed up. That will obviously change as the project picks up speed, but yeah.

Edited by Arrow

• 1 month later...
I've had a nice chunk of people claim some tracks in the past week, but I'd love to get even more! If any of you are digging the idea behind the project and want to contribute, let me know!

Whoa, that's awesome! This thread had been dead for a while, so I was getting worried, but no longer! I'll get my nose to the grindstone as soon as I'm done with this week's PRC.

Whoa, that's awesome! This thread had been dead for a while, so I was getting worried, but no longer! I'll get my nose to the grindstone as soon as I'm done with this week's PRC.

Well, most of last week's new claims happened because I was doing my job as project director and personally reaching out to musicians I know who I thought might be interested, rather than waiting for people to see this thread and chime in while hoping for the best. XD