OCR01444 - Seiken Densetsu 3 "Not So Ordinary People"

djpretzel

Jeremy Robson has one hell of a knack for fine arrangements. His ability to manipulate music is fantastic. His only weakness I've ever found are some of his brass samples, particularly on the lower notes.

For this ReMix, however, the brass sounds significantly better, and serve as no detriment to the fantastic arrangement here. I'm not familiar enough with Russian composers to make any statements regarding the themes used here, all I can say is that this is yet again a very lively and well-pieced orchestral ReMix from Jeremy Robson.

And given a name as familiar as his, what else could you expect?

I'm not very familiar with Russian music, but i can't say no to a remix from Robson. There's a whole lot of strings in this arrangement, I can say that, and I liked the flute that this remix began with.

Although I don't know much of Russian orchestra, I still felt that Jeremy captured the feeling with the strings he used. They didn't always play a certain note, they played more randomly, like if you listened to a swarm of flies. This whole arrangement made me think of those huge danes the tsars used to arrange, a giant hall where the nobles did their dance on the floor with some fine classical music to dance to. It almost makes you forget that this is actually a remix. I did however recognize the happy melody of "Can you fly, sister?", it got a very beautiful feeling to it when the flutes played it.

Yeah, that's SD3 alright.

There's a bunch of sections that sound like they were directly ripped from Borodin's Polovetsian Dances. This is cool, I guess, but I wish it wasn't so jarring since they are so blatant.

Well he did mentiona Borodin as a major influence for the style...even so, the similarities are not so "jarring."

[Moderation Edit: Strong language not necessary] -Gray

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

This is one of my favourites, ever! Those who have read some of my posts should know I avoid using exclamation marks, but when an exclamation mark is due, it's due. And there it is. His inspiration for this comes through nicely. It's an overall high quality arrangement of two probably underrated themes from sd3. Repeat: This is one of my favourites, ever!

• 11 months later...

Don't know either source (it's on my queue of games to play...someday), but this mix is fantastically arranged. Emotionally charged, with a wide range of dynamics and contrasts. Stylistically sounds exactly what Jeremy was going for.

My favorite part is at 3:52, where the strings build up to a huge section...only they suddenly pull back for a gentle moment. Very tricky. Great job.

• 1 month later...

I really love Russian classical stuff, which would surprise a lot of people that know me. But just let it be known that the influences weren't lost on me. There is a lot of Polovetsian Dance similarity going on in the mix, but that only makes me want a choral section.

Overall, a classy and ambitious remix with a really rich sound. Equal parts Brodin and Prokofiev (Wiki it, people) and great representation of a style that doesn't get much attention outside of Tetris mixes (which are still pretty awesome). Some of this seems like it could work over one of those awesome Russian propagandist movies from the 20s.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I do indeed hear the Russian orchestrated influence here, albeit for some reason I tend to be feeling more of Tchaikovsky's upbeat influences within it :P And my expectations on Jeremy's work are often reflected here too - taking the theme and fitting it within a relevant symphonic expression. Something about this kind of reminds me of the similar expansions done for the Final Fantasy 7 Symophonic Suite's Finale that he worked on in terms of tearing the source apart; these may be different in tone, but the ideas are present and have expressed it in this fluctuating-yet-bouncy setting. Nice work.

Albeit, the orchestra sounds may even sound slightly dated in comparison to current standards, something I'm most commonly sensing in the woodwinds more than anything (and occasionally the strings but some of the attacks and tremolos are still very well worked on), but for its time it hits the sweet spot when measured up to his already fantastic way of writing.

All in all, a very well done track! And please come back soon, your style is close to being missed D:

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01444 - Seiken Densetsu 3 "Not So Ordinary People"