Ask DarkeSword about comics!

The Derrit

Is there a good, consistent digital distribution platform for comic books (primarily marvel and DC) and if not, why? I would be down on comic books so hard if not for having to buy magazines and collection books. Also, as a follow-up, what would be good to start with? I enjoy the movies but I know I'm missing something when it comes to these character's backgrounds and it makes me sad.

Comixology, as Larry stated earlier, is essentially the Steam of comic books. Nearly every single publisher, with the notable exception of Dark Horse comics, makes their titles available on Comixology. When you buy a comic book on that site, it's tied to your account and viewable on any device, be it browser or iOS/Android app.

Dark Horse comics runs their own digital distro service that works similarly.

Practically every publisher also synchronizes their digital release with print releases, so there is no waiting for digital books to come out.

Speaking of comics, we have a comic book chatroom on espernet: #comicshop. Come and join us.

Also I don't mind if this turns into a "Ask Darke about comics" thread.

Tried to be funny. Came off as mini-modding.

no worries!

also, i will change the thread title accordingly because i would like to hear you opinions on 'where's good to start,' what series are 'under appreciated but worth your time' etc. etc.

i'll come up with better questions later

"Where to start" is a bit like asking "what sort of music should I listen to?" What do you like?

Under appreaciated but worth your time? American Vampire should, in my opinion, be much more popular than it already is.

Actually let me just quote something I wrote for thewingless on Facebook; he recently asked about comic book recommendations as well.

I will echo Pride of Baghdad, Saga, Umbrella Academy and Irredeemable. Also take a look at Joe the Barbarian and American Vampire. Speaking of American Vampire, the writer, Scott Snyder, is doing amazing things with the current Batman title. Some Batman recommendations: The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Hush, Heart of Hush, and The Court of Owls. The current Wonder Woman series by Azzarello and Chang (with Akins filling in on art occasionally) is excellent, and I'm also really digging Earth-2, by Robinson and Scott. If you like Red Son, DC has a large catalog of Elseworlds books that you can jump into, and Marvel similarly publishes "What If?" books. I'll personally recommend The Last Family of Krypton, where Jor-El's rocket was actually large enough to save not only baby Kal-El, but Lara and himself as well, and the three of them end up on Earth. Hijinks ensue.

If you like Star Wars, there's the Knights of the Old Republic series (which I cannot recommend enough) and the new Agent of the Empire series (essentially James Bond working for the Empire). Brian Wood's new Star Wars book (simply titled, 'Star Wars') is also really great.

Please keep in mind that I am primarily a DC superheroes guy. If you ask me for Marvel recommendations I can only really tell you about the Ultimate Universe, not 616 (i.e. the main Marvel universe).

I'm probably alone in this, but I always liked Image Comics. The first 100 issues of The Darkness were great and Witchblade (When Ron Marz started writing for it) was really good too.

In elementary school the teacher asked us what our favorite superheros were. Lots of "Batman", "Spiderman", etc. Then there was me. I'm like, "SPAWN!"

I'm probably alone in this, but I always liked Image Comics. The first 100 issues of The Darkness were great and Witchblade (When Ron Marz started writing for it) was really good too.

In elementary school the teacher asked us what our favorite superheros were. Lots of "Batman", "Spiderman", etc. Then there was me. I'm like, "SPAWN!"

Comixology had an Artifacts sale last summer; it was a Top Cow book that unified all the different Top Cow properties like Witchblade, The Darkness, Lady Magdelena, etc. Give it a shot, it's pretty good.

Speaking of Top Cow, check out Madame Mirage, by Paul Dini and Kenneth Rocafort. Awesome book.

DarkeSword has a bunch of good recommendations thus far, but I gotta throw some in here.

Garth Ennis, especially Preacher and The Boys. Preacher is narrowly my third favorite comic.

Y: The Last Man. Amazing. Narrowly, but still decidedly my second favorite comic.

And great Caesar's ghost, Alan Moore. Anything by him will slap you across the face with its awesomeness. Especially Watchmen, though, if you haven't read it. I liked the movie pretty well (many people did not and I can see why and also don't really want to start a flame war here,) but the book is still better. And by better, I mean one of my favorite books. Period.

I'll grant, most of that is not necessarily under-appreciated, but still. Good stuff.

Not a big fan of either Ennis or Moore, tbh. To each his own I suppose.

While surprising (especially Moore,) 'tis like you say. To each his own. I, for one, can't stand Grant Morrison, even though everyone in the industry and most comic fans have like the biggest hard-on ever for him.

Oh, BTW, The Derrit, one more for ya; Neil Gaiman, especially Sandman. The last few story arcs are kind of weak but that series starts out great.

And great Caesar's ghost, Alan Moore. Anything by him will slap you across the face with its awesomeness. Especially Watchmen, though, if you haven't read it. I liked the movie pretty well (many people did not and I can see why and also don't really want to start a flame war here,) but the book is still better. And by better, I mean one of my favorite books. Period.

Seconding this. The book is just so rich, filled with so many little plot lines and little details that weave together so well. I think I was still finding new things and going, "Oh, wow," on my fourth read-through.

Seconding this. The book is just so rich, filled with so many little plot lines and little details that weave together so well. I think I was still finding new things and going, "Oh, wow," on my fourth read-through.

Yuuuuppppp. The stuff in between the chapters is proof enough to me as well that the man could do prose if he wanted just as easily, and that the book could work almost as well as a novel.