DKC2 - Stickerbrush Symphony [Remix]

Reminiscity

Hi!

I'm in need of some feedback on my remix of the stickerbrush theme from donkey kong country 2. What do you think about the mixing and the arrangement? Any feedback short or long, mean or nice is highly appreciated :)

I'm not totally happy with the kick and I'm still working on the piano. I might be able to get a friend to play the piano parts.

Also, do you know of a reeeeaally good recording of rain and thunder? :)

Source:

Remix: https://soundcloud.com/reminiscity/wip-donkey-kong-country-2-1

I've never noticed it before but soundcloud really ruins the frequencies around 13k :S At least on this track. I've made it available for download now so you can listen in higher quality.

I feel quite finished with it but i would really like some feedback on the mixing and arrangement stuff before I call it 100% finished. I'm afraid I've listened to this track so much that I'm pretty blind atm.

Help a brother out ;)

I have uploaded yet another version of the track and I now feel that I've taken it as far as I can so I will change the status to "finished".

Here it is.

I would strongly suggest that you download for listening so that you can hear the song in it's full quality. It really sounds different in the high end frequencies.

If you go to my profile you can listen to the old version too if you're interested.

I liked it very much, but there was the low bass sound that was both loud and ends abruptly, which is a bad combo, so I'd suggest quite a bit of release on that, judging that it usually shows up on only once every few seconds. It's actually used quite a lot in the end, and every time it feels ineffective.

Thank you :D I realized one of the synth was turned of when I rendered so I've uploaded a new version once again. Here

I took the opportunity to add a longer release on the bass for this upload. Not very much though, I will tweak more on the bass tomorrow (It's 4am in sweden atm) but I realised that I agree with you. Just don't know how much release yet. For those of you who want to hear the old bass the old version is on my profile.

One of my concerns atm is that the track might be too laud caused by too hard limiting. Any thoughts about that? I'm worried about the kick being too hard too.

You could try running some compressors over the master track, if that's any help.

I personally wouldn't suggest that until the end, and only if it's a REALLY good quality compressor like The Glue or something.

I'd suggest switching to a soft limiter like TLs-Pocket Limiter or NoLimits (although NoLimits is admittedly a bit unstable).

This is on my master track;

Req6 (EQ from waves)

Miiinor minor adjustments. Barely hearable but adds to the track.

LinMB(Multiband compressor from waves)

L3-LL (Limiter from waves)

I use this to push the track to 0db. Here is where I'm afraid I've pushed it too hard. This is the softest limiter I found in my vst-library. Is it "ok" to have a ceiling at -0.3db? It sounds cleaner at high volume but is that something that u normally do?

I've listened to a lot of tracks that OCR accepted over the last year and I want to push the laudness to their level. I'm gonna try TLs-Pocket or if I can find another limiter from waves that is softer.

If you raise the volume when listening to this track I think it kinda hurts your hears.

About the bass, is it too laud in the low end? Or is it too laud in general? I like laud basses but I dont want it to bother others :)

Since you appear rather new, I wouldn't suggest using multi-band compressors. I've been doing this remixing schtick for almost two years now, and I've never touched a multi-band compressor and stuck with it, nor have I ever wanted to. I'd suggest turning it off for now and working without it. Then when you think the remix is all done, turn it on and see if you like it; if you don't, just take it off. It's not necessary. Why compress when you can manually adjust volumes and EQs yourself?

Hm, that guitar just might be from Omnisphere; just sequenced half-decently. You should try some overlapping notes. Not entirely sure, but that might give you a fret slide if it's indeed an Omnisphere guitar. 2:20 and 2:47 could benefit from that, amongst other places.

The snare/clap layer is pretty good. Stylistically, it's not what I would lean towards, but it's not bad, objectively.

The sub bass drone isn't necessary, and it's probably what is driving your track to overcompression. Obviously, lower frequencies are "louder" relative to higher frequencies. In this context, louder just means its amplitude is generally much larger at any relatively similar volume perception.

The kick is actually a bit too bassy. Try layering something more punchy on the kick before 0:54. Then, if you can, shorten the tail on the bassy kick layer just a little bit, so it doesn't interfere with any basses you happen to have. More drum variation would be great too.

2:07 - It could just be my preference, but the guitar either sounded off rhythm or it was on the first beat with the first note rather than the expected second note. Same at 2:12. Maybe you could shift the whole chunk of notes left by one note.

2:53 - The kick buildup there could be more gradual rather than "terraced rhythmic changes". How about two half notes, then four quarter notes, then 4 eighth notes, then 4 16th notes? Something like that. Or a snare could be better and less muddy.

3:36 - I can't really tell that the strings are the lead. I know they are, but they don't sound like it. Maybe more intentional articulations there?

4:19 and 4:23 - the drop could be more obvious. The rest doesn't sound like an outtro to me. Try leading in to the ending.

Sounds are good, just refine the arrangement and articulations.