FFIII "Go Above The Clouds" Chiptune Punk remix

PixelPanic

Awesome! I haven't heard this genre before. Very nice work so far.

To my ears, though, the chiptune sound clashes with the guitar... perhaps that the tuning of the guitar?

More than likely. My guitarist's D string broke so he just tuned an extra G string to a D. It sounded okay when recording, but in mixing it does seem wonky. I'll get on rerecording that.

Even if you used a different string (G for D) it shouldn't have sounded out of tune... odd, sure, but not out of tune. You need to make absolutely sure that all of the strings are properly tuned before recording. With a real tuner, a DAW's tuner, or a VST's built-in tuner (like Guitar Rig's tuner)... There are some other issues but the guitars being out of tune is straight up the most important issue with the mix, so best of luck! Buy some new strings if you need to!

Even if you used a different string (G for D) it shouldn't have sounded out of tune... odd, sure, but not out of tune. You need to make absolutely sure that all of the strings are properly tuned before recording. With a real tuner, a DAW's tuner, or a VST's built-in tuner (like Guitar Rig's tuner)... There are some other issues but the guitars being out of tune is straight up the most important issue with the mix, so best of luck! Buy some new strings if you need to!

the thing is, the string would detune every couple minutes since it was looser, so it could be the final one I used wasn't tuned soon enough. I'm gonna get my guitarist to borrow my extra strat and rerecord it. Also I'll check the effects I'm using on Guitar Rig and see if any of them have a pitch bend or detune.

Rhythm guitar still seems off, though better. Rather than retrack maybe just try to pitch shift it into tune. Lead guitar is noticeably off. It caused my cat to attack my face (ok not really). I'd say at this point just run it through some pitch correction software. I get the punk vibe you're going for, but ya still gotta be in tune. :)

Edited by Argle

Rhythm guitar still seems off, though better. Rather than retrack maybe just try to pitch shift it into tune. Lead guitar is noticeably off. It caused my cat to attack my face (ok not really). I'd say at this point just run it through some pitch correction software. I get the punk vibe you're going for, but ya still gotta be in tune. :)

The pitch correction, which didn't even know existed, so thank you, worked for my lead part, but it's registering all sorts of wrong notes for my rhythm, so I'll do what I can. Thanks!

This would be the point where, if this was a resub on the panel, I think a jooj would have said to check into Shreddage 2 or a similar midi guitar library. As far as OCR goes the guitars need to be in tune and sound pretty decent, if not very good. The tuning is still way off, and it's something you have to have an ear for before you even start recording. If you record guitar like the part at 1:51 and you can't tell that it is out of tune, then you need to take a step back and practice a lot more before recording so you can get an ear for playing guitar... it doesn't help if you practice out of tune either. You need to get yourself a tuner, and make sure you have all of the correct strings in each spot (don't use a B string as a G string or whatnot). It's probably fine for the Cid album but it wouldn't fly as an OCR mixpost, not yet anyway... Don't give up.

And don't use auto-tune/melodyne to try to fix it.

• 1 month later...

Here is a new version of the song. I didn't change any tuning stuff but I did change the drums significantly and I did more mixing. Please criticize, as always, to fullest scrutiny.

PS Also got rid of the guitar in the bridge because it sucked and I'm glad it's gone.

Edited by PixelPanic

• 5 months later...