OCR02603 - Touhou Chireiden: Subterranean Animism "Lullaby of Flame"

djpretzel

When I saw that Subterranean Animism had been added to the games list, I was absolutely psyched. I thought that, surely, a Mix of Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom ~ Nuclear Fusion was on the way. For the absence of that, I was somewhat disappointed. But I can't really complain, as far as the mix goes. It's really pretty. The chippy format is really reminiscent of the PC-98 era Touhou games, and it's equally as relaxing as it is nostalgic.

I'm familiar with the Touhou franchise, but have never played any of the games. I usually avoid remixes to games that I haven't played, but figured that I'd try this mix out anyway. The description made it sound too interesting not to.

I'm glad I did. I can't compare it to the original, since I've never heard it, but the melody is fantastic. The electronic tones are a pleasure (I grew up with the NES and original Gameboy, so anything even remotely 8-bit is pure nostalgia). I particularly like the pitch shift that ends the song.

All around, beautifully done.

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason this could probably have been written in a Scarborough-Fair-like style, IMO. Interesting style there, awesome harmonies.

EDIT: lol, looks like a lot of other people think that about the melody too, after checking out some random youtube video comments.

Hilarious how it happened to be used in an actual waltz situation. xD

Edited by timaeus222

• 2 weeks later...

Keep the Touhou coming OCR! I'm telling you, there has got to be an OCR Touhou album one day. These games have so many doujin arranges because the source material is just too good. Someone get on that!

This is probably my favorite Touhou mix on the site right above Prototype's version. The downward synth slides are ear candy : D and the lead synth writing in general is very sexy even though this is a pretty conservative arrangement. Good countermelody writing, too.

Instrumentation feels good - you really step up the source with your sound choices (which to be honest, is not too hard to do with some Touhou music..), but the instruments gel together very well.

Not much fault to find with this mix. It's the perfect length, too. I could find myself listening to this on repeat for a long time.

Good job with this mix! Listen to this even if you aren't really a Touhou fan. It's good.

• 1 month later...

One thing I can say about Touhou, even if I never had a chance to really play any of them, is that they have music that lend themselves well to ReMixing. DDRKirby here gives a great example of that with this. Probably the most upbeat, hard-hitting waltz I've ever heard. Also now one of my favorite and it does work if you focus on the beats for the dance. Great melody and arrangement, DDRKirby!

• 1 year later...

Man, this is really good! I randomly found this in my downloads folder - I have no idea how I found this track or why I decided to download it, but I'm glad I did. Very piratey. The levels and quality of the voices are spot-on, professional quality 5/5. The percussion really meshes well, in what's otherwise entirely chiptuny-synth, filling it out without being conspicuous.

Definitely my dark-horse favorite track in the past 6 months.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02603 - Touhou Chireiden: Subterranean Animism "Lullaby of Flame"