"Fantastically Undefined" - Touhou 12 (Medley)

Kruai

Hi all!

Working on a new remix of music from Touhou 12 "Undefined Fantastic Object". It contains "Fires of Hokkai", "Player's Score", and motifs from various tunes within the game. I'm experimenting with this guitar sound--I'll probably try to get someone around here to record the guitar part if it's doesn't sound up to par.

Linky!

https://soundcloud.com/kruai/fantastically-undefined-wip/s-W0dRc

Let me know what you think!

-Kruai

Edited by Kruai
Updated WIP

I'll let other people comment on this since DnB isn't my thing, but I do want to say I really like the sound you've got going here. Touhou is <3 so plus cookie amount for that. Thanks for making this!

Thanks! I try not to fit into just once genre, but eh.

Yeah, I love the music from Touhou! So pretty and catchy.

Even though DnB isn't your thing, thanks for taking the time to listen :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The piano seems low quality to me. See if you can find a better sample. It might be a little robotic too in the sequencing.

The intro drums are a bit odd. I think I'm hearing a really old vinyl snare? The timbre is low quality, basically. The snare needs a slight low pass to cut out that weird high end fuzzy distorted sound.

When the new snare comes in, it's a bit unfitting for DnB. The volume is fine, but the timbre seems too close to a pitch envelope to me. Try to layer it with a more high end snare, with that high end snare slightly dominating the timbre. Right now it's a bit mid-heavy, when it might work better as low-mid-heavy.

The lead during the DnB part could be more dynamic. Yes, there is some creative sequencing, but it's basically covering up the fact there's no real expressiveness on the longer sustains. You're just trying to make up for that with portamento and fast runs. Don't try to make up for something you don't yet have, try to get the expressiveness in the way that you want. Vibrato, oscillator sync, however you want to do it. I'd suggest vibrato or both.

The arrangement kind of repeats itself for the most part. Maybe you can shorten it and not miss anything unique. Try to keep things changing often. People have short attention spans, it's life.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the feedback, timaeus!

I'm using Emotional Piano for the piano. Perhaps it's the filter I'm using at the beginning that makes it sound off? I'll see if I can make it less robotic.

Not really vinyl--it's actually the same snare used in the rest of the song, but with crazy distortion and filters on top. As for the shortened snare that comes in later, perhaps I can replace that with a less mid-y sample and only use the mid-heavy snare after the intro.

Yeah, I'm definitely still working on my composing/programming of melodies in general. I'll try to make it more portamento and add vibrato and all that to see if it improves at all.

I've temporarily lost the muse for this one but I'm gonna make the needed fixes and update it in due time. I've finally gotten it through my thick skull that repeating sections is lazy and makes the music boring. I'll work on finding a balance of new material and cohesiveness. Thanks again!

Not really vinyl--it's actually the same snare used in the rest of the song, but with crazy distortion and filters on top. As for the shortened snare that comes in later, perhaps I can replace that with a less mid-y sample and only use the mid-heavy snare after the intro.

Yeah, don't be afraid to add more instruments and drum samples. If you feel like your song is getting stale, it's probably because you need to bring some instruments out and some more in.

• 2 months later...