Kirk Hunter Emerald S. Orchestra - Do you own it?

I listened to a few demos of the kirk hunter collection busta suggested the other day.

Has anyone hear used it? Or does anyone hear have any experience with it?

I am pretty sold on it given the things its supposed to be able to do, and as an alternative to EWQL I am definetly considering it.

http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/v2demos.html

Some of the demos are forgivable considering they were made on a pentium 3 with 386MB of ram lol

Currently I am considering one of the following 3 orchestras for purchase.

EWQL SO Gold/silver (depending),

Advanced Orchestra

and now Kirk Hunter pending posts.

The strings, both ensemble and solo sound pretty bad. The winds sound terrible, except for maybe the bassoon. The best parts have to be the brass and percussion. I guess this seems to be one of the better fuller orchestral libraries for its price range. They just need more orchestral demos. Not full pieces, but existing orchestral excerpts we’re already familiar with that showcase a particular instrument(s) and playing style. For example, I have no idea what their clarinet is capable of from those demos alone. They need to do what VSL does and post a clarinet concerto or something.

I hate how they sometimes try to lure people in by demos such as the Perpetual motion demo, in which the doubled bowing sounds pretty decent, but the legato, as heard in other demos, is not nearly as realistic.

Yes.

The user demos are much better. The official demos are lackluster and hastily put together midis KH has lying around. That he just switched the samples for without composing for the samples. It has its pros and cons. I think the agressive brass and fast strings are particularly good. The double basses are particularly powerful. The woodwinds on the other hand, I personally don't like at all. They sound too airy, almost like the dreadful QLSO woodwinds, but with lower quality recording quality. I also like the fact that KH has a more intimate sound than other libraries, particularly good for agressive compositions, while not limited to the distance/ambient nature of other libraries or VSL's, imo, poor dead sounding silent stage. ;)

Personally I think it's a good supplementary library to layer other samples with. I would not get it as your main or core library. What do you expect from a $150/250 library? It is what it is, a good budget level library - nothing more, nothing less.

I think it depends what kind of sound you're looking for ultimately. Also what kind of flexibility are you looking for. Do you want intimate or distant sounding mixes? Do you want to do the soundstage design yourself or do you want it premade, etc.

KH himself says that this package will be of most use with layering with other packages, on Northernsounds. Like GrayLightning said.

The official demos were dry, last time I heard, with no fancy stuff, so you get to hear it untouched. And also like GL says, it's a very cheap package, so you can't really expect quality from the likes of very expensive packages.

Anyways that thread that someone pointed out here is thick with talk on this package so if you want to know how it's like in use, I think you'd be better off looking (or asking) there.

I'd seriously consider Advanced Orchestra...well Peter Siedlaczek's Classical Collection (it'd be expensive and dumb to buy just AO alone). Im considering getting it because the its so useful, and it still sounds great! Id actually take it over QLSO Gold, because this library is extremely playable. I converted the old akais to Kontakt so there are no keyswitches, and i still find it extremely playable! Never have i felt like i have all the articulations in front of me like this...even with 75 MIDI channels open (no keyswitches LOL). After a few minutes of working with it, i got suprisingly satisfying results. This isn't the greatest composition in the world, but its what i had in my head at the moment..

http://www.savefile.com/files3.php?fid=1682712

(only the suspended cymbal is from another library, everything else is AO)

I'd go for this over QLSO/KH because the Clasic Collection is 5 libraries in one too. It can be used in a much wider variety of styles, and it seems to be very playable and easy to use, unlike everything else ive tried. All i know is that im getting it when i get the cash, and can say goodbye to working with all the other disorganized-memory-eating-junk i use...