*NO* Pokemon Red Version 'Emerald Evolution'

Liontamer

Remix Title: Emerald Evolution

Game: Pokemon Red/Blue

Song: Viridian Forest

Remixer Name: MtM

Remixer Website: http://soundcloud.com/mtm64

This is a trancey/complextro-style remix of the Viridian Forest theme, which is also the very first video game remix I ever did, way back in 2009. I decided to remix the theme again now that I actually know what I'm doing, and I'm pretty proud of the result. There's not much more to say, really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPH9bT2Agc0

The filename from the Mediafire link actually said 'A Lovely Shade of Emerald', but OK.

The synth design was pretty vanilla for the first minute, but the mixing was OK. Things became pretty muddy after the drop at 1:08, and I'm not sure what happened to cause it.

Some light wubbing was added at 1:35, but everything was so muddy, it just sounded like a distortion bleeding into everything else.

Really exposed, fake pizz strings brought in from 2:04-2:17. It can slide some given the context of the song.

More creative dubstep-style wubbery after 2:17, though the melody was getting drowned down some.

3:13 ended that and moved back into more of a focus on the source upfront.

Definitely not my thing personally on account of the manic dub-wub in the middle, and I felt the treatment of the source tune was kind of straightforward once you took all of that out. That said, the approach was solidly personalized and I thought well in the right direction of interpretation.

The mixing being off was the main dealbreaker for me. The cleanest sections sounded pretty thin despite being so loud, while other areas were too muddy and lossy-sounding. The arrangement was OK, but some production/balance improvements there would get things sounding a lot more solid and put this over the top, IMO. Good start here, Matthew.

NO (resubmit)

I want to like some of the things you've done as a bit creative, but a lot of the sounds are just not very nice to listen to at all. The main snare is very odd. That weird rising sound that would be a white noise sweep in anyone else's mix is pretty nasty. The intro synth and kick both have really unpleasant attack portions. 2:17 to 3:10 is almost a full minute of just relentless glitcing, which would have been great if it had lasted like... 10 seconds. At the moment it's just a bit of a headache. The best section for me is the section from 2:03 to 2:17, which co-incidentally is the section with the least going on.

It's weird because the volume balance between the parts is ok, but the balance of the tones and EQs is not on the same level at all. The high end is very harsh and the lower mids are very muddy once the wubs come in. It sounds like it's been EQ'd for loudness instead of blend.

I can see what you were going for, but you need to have the mix under control to pull it off.

NO

Totally agreed with the gentlemen above. I won't beat around the bush, this is pretty messy and in serious need of some polish. I think the core concept of the remix is okay and works reasonably well with the source, but your production is not so hot. Larry and Cain got pretty granular with their feedback, so I won't go into as much detail here, but there's a few things that bothered me that I'll reiterate.

The synth-vocal dubstep synth sounds really cheesy... I hear that sound used in dubstep from time to time, but when the sample plays exactly the same way for an entire melody line, it sounds super-corny. I don't really know how to put it delicately, but those sections felt way off the mark.

The other wobbles were sequenced much better, but unfortunately the mixing in those sections was probably the most problematic. The bassline definitely needs more breathing room.

Given the original source you're working with, I think the detune effect on your synths is pretty appropriate. Some of the other glitching effects felt over-the-top and dragged on for too long, as Fishy said.

Sorry, I'm not really feeling this one. Interpretation-wise, this seems okay, but the mixing needs a lot of work before this will be ready for posting.

NO