(Paid Position) Sound Effects Artist Needed for Retro RPG

DapperDave

(This isn't exactly music, but we had so many terrific applicants when we posted here looking for a composer that it seems worth it to post for a sound effects artist here too)

Thanks to a successful Kickstarter campaign (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/155773634/boot-hill-her oes-wild-west-retro-rpg-with-1-4-play), Experimental Gamer is looking for a sound effects artist for Boot Hill Heroes. http://www.experimentalgamer.com/boot-hill-heroes/

Game Summary: Boot Hill Heroes is a true retro RPG set in the American Wild West. You’ll find all the trappings of a spaghetti western: gunslingers, saloons, Indians, ranches, spittoons, Mexican standoffs, heroism, villainy, and everything in between. Boot Hill Heroes has adventure, drama, and a fair helping of humor. Just like the classic RPGs you remember from yesteryear but with an inventive new spin!

Needed: Approximately 150 sound effects ranging from interface sounds, animal noises, 2-3 second musical jingles, and battle sounds – all within the artificial limitations of a 16 or 32 bit video game. The first 90 are needed in one month.

Process: You will be working under the guidance of our music composer, Jake Kaufman. We already have most temporary sound effects in place, so understanding what sort of sound effect we are looking for should be fairly simple as you can just listen to our temporary sounds.

Payment: We would prefer to agree on a set average price per sound effect. Payment can be made via mailed check or PayPal. Since payment is on a per-piece basis, you can quit or be let go at any time and still be paid for the work you completed. However, this would be a worst case scenario as we would want a single sound effects artist for the entire project.

Ownership: Ideally, Experimental Gamer would have ownership over the sounds you create, but this is negotiable if you have strong feelings regarding ownership.

How to apply: Email dave@experimentalgamer.com with the subject line Sound Effects Artist Application. The email should include the following items:

Your name and email.

The average price you would prefer per sound effect (there are approximately 150 sound effects total).

A single link to your online portfolio.

A link to or description of your background. In any case, do not write more than a few sentences here as I do not like to waste your time unnecessarily.

Jake is already not easy to get in contact with - he openly admits he rarely checks his email and Facebook and he never wrote me back on the commission work I was trying to send him, why wouldn't a SFX artist simply work under you?

Additionally, you didn't tell us how you want those sound effects done up like. Are you wanting us to program SFX so it sounds like it comes from a SNES/PS1? Heck, you could use some old Roland and Korg SFX soundfonts for some of that stuff since they were often used during that era. If not, there are literally tens of thousands of free SFX you could find online. You probably would not need a SFX artist at all.

Also, small 2-3 second jingles fall under music. That's Jake's job.

Jake is already not easy to get in contact with - he openly admits he rarely checks his email and Facebook and he never wrote me back on the commission work I was trying to send him, why wouldn't a SFX artist simply work under you?

This is clearly a job listing, and if someone is hired to work "under the guidance of [the] music composer, Jake Kaufman," then communication in the context of two professionals working on a game is not an issue. Those are the parameters set by the employer, and your personal experiences are not relevant.

Additionally, you didn't tell us how you want those sound effects done up like. Are you wanting us to program SFX so it sounds like it comes from a SNES/PS1? Heck, you could use some old Roland and Korg SFX soundfonts for some of that stuff since they were often used during that era. If not, there are literally tens of thousands of free SFX you could find online. You probably would not need a SFX artist at all.
The listing clearly states that the sounds should fall under the artificial limitations of a 16 or 32 bit game, so SNES/PSX. The developer is not looking for existing sounds, and has clearly allocated money for a sound effects artist to create original sounds consistent with the sound design of the rest of the game (hence working under the guidance of the music composer).
Also, small 2-3 second jingles fall under music. That's Jake's job.
That's not for you to determine.

My post wasn't trying to be negative or difficult, I was just sharing my thoughts on key points of the posting as well as trying to get more information for others. I've talked with these guys before and they're pretty reasonable programmers/employers, and already knowing Jake is hard to contact, I was looking to help clear the field out a bit for those who might want to apply by opening the suggestion.

On the jingles bit, that's usually fanfares and short tracks that play when you get an item or someone joins your party. As they sometimes appear on OSTs and usually need to be cohesive with the rest of the soundtrack, they usually categorize as music and appear with the composer's name on them.

Anyway, I did not intend to be difficult or obnoxious here and I apologize if I came off that way - I really was just trying to make suggestions and offer a bit more for those interested in applying.