OCR01447 - World of Warcraft & Guild Wars "All Nations Rise"

djpretzel

I haven't actually heard it yet (just clicked the download button) but, WOO-HOO! New Wingless!

Okay, I've heard it now. Omegadonut ain't kidding. The bitrate's a little too low and there's quite a bit of clipping going on. The rate dropped into the 60's every so often according to my computer (but it's nothing too crazy to make it sound horrible though). It ain't the man with no wings fault though. There are, unfortunately, restrictions on ReMIxes.

All in all, really great sounding mix. I'm glad to finally hear something from the man himself again.

From what I know, something similar to the Stormwind melody comes in at 1:57 with different chord structure from the original. I don't know if a GW chord progression here is backing a guild wars melody at 1:57, but if they're both, awesome. Stormwind continues on.

The piano that comes in at 2:40 takes place of the original choir backing.

4:02 really reminds me of the cathedral district in stormwind, and stormwind continues.

I dont recognize any familiar take at 4:26 of WoW, but until the end of the song the song is laced with tidbits at its melody. So overall, WoW music is heard throughout the majority of the song as well. And from what people are saying about GW taking up most of the song, it looks like Wingless has done a great mixture of both.

Just as usual, it kicks the ass.

The Wingless is a f***ing genius, and I'm very very angry because it is exactly the track I was remixing in a similar way until 5 minutes ago, when I discovered this jewel.

So errrr, my version of the Stormwind theme just went to trash, actually, Wingless' one far better.

EDIT: Uh-oh. This mix clipped a bit on my headphones. Although now I see that this is VBR encoded, and it drops down to... 96 kbps?!

I did the encoding.

You'll notice that many mixes, including the amazing Triforce Majeure, go FAR below 96kbps during VBR. It's not uncommon to set the minimum to something like 32kbps in fact. This was a very long mix and thus it was very difficult to encode without going over the maximum filesize, 6mb. Notice that the mix size is 5.8mb. I did everything humanly possible to maximize the quality while staying under that limit.

There is also no clipping. I made absolutely sure of that and ran it through three different kinds of analysis to check.

The Wingless proves once again he's not just a man with a pretty website. His seamless blending of themes from Guild Wars and World of Warcraft is nothing short of beautiful, to put it mildly. A strong and steady piano leads the music for the greater part of the song, with a warm and complete string section filling out the sound perfectly.

The arrangment could be made even richer, in my humble opinion, with a larger dynamic range throughout the piece. It felt to me as though the difference between the quiet and the loud was, while certainly effective, not used to it's full effect. I'm not talking about Maurice Ravel's Bolero style dynamics, but I feel a larger range would work quite well with The Wingless' exception piece, particularly after the building sounds leading up to 5:06.

On the first few listens, it sounded as though there were some compression issues around 4:40, and again around 5:08. There appeared to be a small range of frequencies that sounded staticy. After a careful listen though, I can hear that it is actually a percussion instrument. Though I can't remember the real name, it plays and sounds like a washboard.

But I digress. The real story here is that The Wingless continues to make no compromises with his beautiful arrangment and production. Sir Colin Rex Davis take note: if one day you forget your orchestra, make sure you have a Wangless around.

EDIT: Uh-oh. This mix clipped a bit on my headphones. Although now I see that this is VBR encoded, and it drops down to... 96 kbps?!

I did the encoding.

You'll notice that many mixes, including the amazing Triforce Majeure, go FAR below 96kbps during VBR. It's not uncommon to set the minimum to something like 32kbps in fact. This was a very long mix and thus it was very difficult to encode without going over the maximum filesize, 6mb. Notice that the mix size is 5.8mb. I did everything humanly possible to maximize the quality while staying under that limit.

There is also no clipping. I made absolutely sure of that and ran it through three different kinds of analysis to check.

Regardless, it does clip on my headphones quite a lot; even under the same settings, most of the songs I listen to don't clip so much, if at all. May I request a version with a higher bitrate?

I did the encoding.

Um, it totally clips. Er, maybe it's not clipping? Maybe the little crunchy blips every so often are intentional? Maybe me and OmegaDonut just need better headphones? I don't doubt the mighty Zircon's ability, afterall.

First of all, i'm very glad to see a new song by The Wingless. ^^ He is definately one of my favourite remixers on this site.

About the clipping, I can't hear that on my normal speakers but when I try listening on surround sound between twenty to fourtyish there is a slight crackling sound...It's not too bad since you can easily just switch around the settings on NvMixer to reduce that sound to almost nothing. Or atleast you can on my computer...

Comparing this with other mixes i've heard by Wingless I'd have to say this one rates around 8.5/10 for me. I especially like this mix because you can have it on repeat and it almost sounds like its just one long/never ending song which is great for just relaxing to.

Can't wait to hear some more mixes similar to this one and my friends at college can stop moaning that there arn't any World of Warcraft remixes... :lol:

I really like this, but the clipping bugs the hell out of me. The mix starts clipping right at the beginning. I'm listening to this on my headphones and I hear clipping only in the left ear. My headphones aren't necessarily very good, but all other songs sound just fine on my headphones, and I'm pretty sure it's not my headphones if other people are hearing as well. I'm not too sure if it's the encoding or the samples, because I only hear clipping on the bells.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01447 - World of Warcraft & Guild Wars "All Nations Rise"